PDA

View Full Version : CAA experimental helicopters

bugdevheli
7th Dec 2004, 20:27
As the helicopter is the only flying machine that is capable of being tested in a confined area. Would in not be possible for the CAA to allow homebuilt helicopters to be test flown within a safe height and distance from the general public. I have in mind 20 feet AGL and enought distance to avoid the likely injuries from flying debris. If this were possible a lot more people would be inclined to develop machines. To get to the point where a machine is developed sufficienly to even consider the possibility of cirtification will not be achieved unless we are allowed a little legal room to experiment. The government is going to great lengths to sell the idea that Britain is great and that we can advance our sciences and engineering. Would someone in government like to tell the CAA that they are holding up progress. Bug.

Aesir
7th Dec 2004, 22:20
uhhh..?

Are you sure you need the CAA´s permission to testhover a homebuilt experimental helicopter?

I really do not know the UK CAA requirements, but in my neck of the woods I could build and testfly wherever I like as long as its not close to people or buildings. Now to get said homebuilt aircraft registered as experimental I would get my local experimental aircraft homebuilders club involved for testflight programs and inspection.

There must be something like EAA (Experimental aircraft association) in the UK that can help you out.

CRAN
8th Dec 2004, 05:58
Bug,

From my understanding there are a number of ways that the CAA will allow this sort of thing, for the appropriate fee... You will need to give them a call to agree the specifics though.

Hope this helps
CRAN
:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
8th Dec 2004, 09:10
At the moment you can't just build and fly anything with a human being in it in the UK - you need to be overseen by somebody, and ultimately by the CAA.

There are various mechanisms to allow you to do so, but by far the best are the two homebuild systems through PFA and BMAA; I'd strongly advise against dealing direct with CAA if you can possibly avoid it.

There are various moves at the moment to try and create an experimental system in the UK. The main one is being spearheaded by the Royal Aeronautical Society, the main protagonist being John Edgley, Chairman of the light aviation group within the society. I think that everybody accepts at the moment that UK regs are too prescriptive in the area of allowing clever people to develop new products - but exactly how to solve that is the subject of some considerable debate (and rightly so). One issue there is that a US style experimental system is not really compatible with a small crowded island like the UK, particularly given that an identical system would remove any airworthiness control from a very wide variety of flying machines.

G

Shawn Coyle
8th Dec 2004, 14:14
While it is true that the majority of the unique work of the helicopter is done at slow speed, a lot of the work to certify it, or prove that it works satisfactorily has to be done up and away. If you want a civil certified machine, you have to fly it at some pretty high altitudes.
So, regardless of what a civil authority wants, you can't just do the testing in a hole in the woods.

bugdevheli
8th Dec 2004, 17:08
Shawn. The regs over here say you do not lift of at all.! Whilst you are obviously correct in as much as a 200 foot height limit for testing is not sufficient, at least it would allow for some basic testing to be carried out regarding fatigue life of components. I am able to wander around my property with a shotgun and stay within the law. If I want to hover my homebuilt machine I cannot do it legally. Our PFA (private flying association) do not appear interested or do not have the necessary qualified people to oversee such a project.

Dave_Jackson
8th Dec 2004, 19:48
bugdevheli,

If the testing of "this sophisticated fan for blow-drying orchards' never lost contact with the ground would this circumvent the exact wording of the regulations?

200 feet of dangling rope would make for a very nice contact. :D

Dave J.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Dec 2004, 01:16
Actually PFA = Popular Flying Association. But yes, they've never been all that keen on anything which is (by their standards) oddball - which includes anything where the wing doesn't stay still.

To be fair to them, PFA is a members organisation and the benefit to the membership as a whole would be very small compared to the large investment in "skilling up" to handle such a project.

G

Shawn Coyle
9th Dec 2004, 14:19
There should always be a way to circumvent the rules. You may have to be inventive though.
I'm reminded of the Japanese inventor of a very light co-axial helicopter who was shown in pictures with his feet off the footrests and dangling below the machine. When asked why he said - "In Japan, if the last thing to leave the ground and the first thing to hit the ground are your feet, you don't need a pilot's licence to fly that machine...."

Go figure. Find a way - tethering might be a good idea. How tight does the tether have to be?? How long can it be?

bugdevheli
9th Dec 2004, 20:56
Shawn/Dave. " Rope a dope". What an excellent idea. Thank you gentlemen. Bug.