PDA

View Full Version : CAA Hard Work!

copterkid
7th Dec 2004, 15:37
Having trouble with are friends at the CAA today. Spending time and money on a new type rating, recived the completed paperwork to send back with there cash only to find no price to pay on the form.
At the top of the form states "The fees for licences, associated ratings and assessments are contained in the lastest scheme of charges. This is available on our website - www.caa.co.uk - under personnel licensing.

No problem go to there website only to find a 19 page document which needs a translator to work out the costings.
Decided to ring them direct no direct number only H.R Dept they kindly cut me off, ring back through to switch board (very rude) with voice saying "will connect you" only to be cut off again, 3rd time lucky put through to personnel licensing office closed. opening hours 9am-4pm, my call 3.20pm

Why is it the simple things our made so bloody hard with the C.A.A..

:mad:

Martin1234
7th Dec 2004, 15:47
http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=658

It'll cost you £100 if it's a professional licence.

The UK CAA are pretty reasonable compared to many other aviation authorities.

SASless
7th Dec 2004, 16:19
Type ratings in the USA cost Zero dollars.....no matter the license.

Now that is reasonable. Until you get to the Bell 214ST....it is not a type rating.

Then it still costs nothing for the rating paperwork.:ok:

Aesir
7th Dec 2004, 22:29
JAA type ratings cost in Iceland $32.- (£17.-) to be entered in the licence.

Which is very reasonable compared to the cost from the license authorites in other Scandinavian countries, where I have heard the cost is about $450 to 500.- (about £250.-).

For those from non- JAA countries! All helicopters require type ratings, even R-22 or H-300 in JAA land.

NickLappos
8th Dec 2004, 04:05
copterkid,

Wasn't Inspector Basil Fawlty available? I hear he is quite reasonable.

CRAN
8th Dec 2004, 06:01
Yes, but don't mention the war; I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it...

CarryOnCopter
8th Dec 2004, 06:14
'copterkid' welcome to the world of the UK CAA, pure pain. You are correct that finding any thing out is like breaking the 'enima code' but for what it's worth the last time I put a new rating on my proffesional licence it cost £180.

Just for a laugh I asked how much it would cost if I had two type ratings to put on at the same time as this should not really add to much to the work load (which consists of putting a few letters and numbers on a peice of paper), £360, I thank you.

Try sending them an email should get an answer back in about ten minutes telling you they will get back to you in a minmum of ten days due to some crap reason or other.

Good luck :ok:

alouette
8th Dec 2004, 13:39
Boy I am glad that I am not the only one feeling the pinch from the CAA.

A few weeks back there was this Italian guy who almost kicked off a riot at the inquiry counter at FCL's because he paid a hefty amount and had to wait at least 5 hours to see a CAA face. Logically his temper flared and it was quite an experience to see those pale FCL's standing there in awe until they had to whistle up another guy who took him outside... Usually Aviation Authorities should be glad that a lot of us still pay fees and such. Because if aviation ever comes to a halt because of them they could pack their bags and prematurely pick up the game of golf.

Shawn Coyle
8th Dec 2004, 14:30
What many (non-US) civil authorities have failed to realize is that by charging people for their services(?), they create an expectation of a service being provided in a timely and effective manner.
Part of charging for a service means that you will have properly qualified people taking care of the customers. And that customers shouldn't have to pay additionally to have the authority's people qualified for a particular speciality.
I'm sure we all have lots of stories about this not being true, but the authorities need to understand they are taking people's money and need to return a service.
On the other hand, if you're not paying for it (like the FAA) you have little reason to complain.

alouette
8th Dec 2004, 15:38
Hear, Hear. Nicely said, Shawn. Still the FAA and its system is in some cases more efficient then these egocentric, wanna be upper class bonces somewhere else.