PDA

View Full Version : Master and Commander books, by POB

Wino
7th Dec 2004, 14:27
As someone who absolutely loved the movie "Master and Commander" I figured I would pick up the Patrick OBoyle books and started reading em.

Well, Amazon sold me the WHOLE lot of em for 94 dollars, and now my life is ruined.

I have a stack of 20 novels to go through, since they are ALL here already there won't even be a break to go eat or go to work or play poker till the novels are complete.

I Finished Master and Commander and have wrapped up Post Captain as well. Now I am staring Suprise.... Hmmmmm Only 18 books to go.

I must say that I love the books. I can't put em down. Has anyone else read the series? How long did it take you to figure out that Maturin was really a spy?

Anyway, if you want a good read these are it. If I hadn't gone into flying I probably would have gone to sea and have spent my whole life On or over the water. The books capture the feel of a large sailing ship unlike any others I have ever read.

Cheers
Wino (tired and bleery eyed, but time to go back to the books)

Taildragger55
7th Dec 2004, 15:07
Sorry Wino, your life is ruined. There may be only 18 books left but you will re -read them again and again until they fall apart, then buy replacements.

20 odd years ago I picked up "Post Captain" in the library, read a few pages and did not like it. Sometime later I picked up "Master and Commander" and became totally hooked.

I have read them all repeatedly, and Mrs. TD and I often converse in quotes from the books.

The movie was good. Russell Crowe was a great Aubrey, and the music was excellent.

Stay away from the POB chat rooms or you will be completely addicted. You have been warned.

http://www.wwnorton.com/POB/pobhome.htm (http://) http://www.io.com/gibbonsb/pob/ (http://)

El Grifo
7th Dec 2004, 15:39
No Wurries mateys, he is just messin with our minds !

The link's a deader!!

:ok: :cool: :ok:

Notso Fantastic
7th Dec 2004, 16:10
.....and then you'll move onto the Hornblower books....another 20 or so there.....then what about the Sharpe books and the Peninsular War.........? Let's face it, it beats real life doesn't it? At some stage you will really have to see what those living and fighting conditions were like, so a visit to Portsmouth is the order of the day. HMS Victory (http://www.hms-victory.com/) is preserved in all its glory, virtually exactly as she was in 1805 (pre battle), and you can have a conducted and very entertaining tour (please don't step on the red stain where Lord Nelson was shot). I can see her from my bedroom and it is a regular delight redoing the tour (don't miss the Royal Naval Museum). If you love the books, a visit is a must.
Also in the harbour on the same tour is HMS Warrior (http://www.hmswarrior.org/), the first ironclad battleship built mid-Victorian times to counter the perceived threat from the dastardly French. Wonderfully preserved, and perhaps its most famous claim to fame is hosting the event whereby Notso made Mrs. Notso an honest woman in the Captains Day Cabin! (http://www.hmswarrior.org/office1.htm)

Biggles Flies Undone
7th Dec 2004, 16:29
Yep, and the galley stove is from a later era - but it's still a fabulous tour. Stand on the main deck on a windy day, look up the towering masts and imagine what it must have been like to work the sails in a storm.... :ooh:

Cowbell
7th Dec 2004, 16:44
Maturin was a spy? Oh great!:mad:

That kills that book.:E

Taildragger55
7th Dec 2004, 16:57
Er. Sorry about the sadistic links:(

Practically anything about that time is fascinating. Cochrane, on whom Aubrey was based, was even larger than life.

"Billy Ruffian" , the recent book about the Bellerophon by David Cordingly, is also fascinating stuff.

Can't understand why my links won't post, mutter, mutter, sulk

Loki
7th Dec 2004, 17:50
Maturin was a spy?

Revisit the film, and one of the early scenes has a reference to the French not being the only people to employ spies, followed by a knowing look between Aubrey and Maturin.

I still prefer the Hornblower books myself.

Taildragger55: "Billy Ruffian" is indeed a great book, the account of Napoleon`s voyage aboard her is fascinating.

chiglet
7th Dec 2004, 19:00
Then there's James Clavell's series.....
Shogun, Tai Pan, King Rat, Noble House....the later ones [immho] are crud
Or Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, Stephen Coonts if you prefer a "more Modern" style
watp,iktch

maninblack
8th Dec 2004, 07:53
I always pictured Stephen Fry as the perfect Jack Aubrey! Ugly and a mixture of pompous macho/camp.

The film didn't quite have enough spark between the two main characters for my liking.

As a stand alone film it was wonderful though.

eal401
8th Dec 2004, 08:21
Over 10 years ago, I read a book by Alexander Kent set in the world of the 18th/19th century navy and was hooked on the subject. I also tried a POB book but couldn't get into it.

Over the years, Kent's books got worse and worse (IMO) and I have since given up on him.

Need to revisit Hornblower I think as the TV movies were excellent. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Master & Commander film and thanks to Mrs 401 buying me the book of M&C last Christmas got to re-try POB. And what a difference time makes as I now appreciate the books as SUBERB!! Now reading The Far Side of the World, the main influence for the film, but not getting through it fast enough for my liking!

Taildragger55
8th Dec 2004, 08:32
EAL

Funny that, a lot of us did not get into him first time around.

I wonder how many other books I dropped after a chapter or two are worth revisiting?

Notso Fantastic
8th Dec 2004, 09:15
Someone mentioned him. Is Anthony Carn still about? One misses that certain quick repartee & humour.

Cowbell
9th Dec 2004, 23:28
You know after reading this thread I went down to the local book shop and bought it.

Where have I been? One of the best reads I've had in awhile. I can't put it down.

Are the others as good?

:ok:

Wino
10th Dec 2004, 02:53
I bought the whole series. 94 dollars US from amazon, they come in 5 hardcover books of around 2000 pages each.

they are, so far, ALL excellent. I am now on the HMS Suprise (book 3). Each is better than the last so far for me.

The way in which they are packaged (several per hardcover, with a cool bible style red cloth bookmard sewn in) makes them incredibly efficient for carrying in the cockpit as I can carry several books at the same time.

Problem though. Hard to put down for top of descent. Have considered going out and holding till I finished the current chapter...:) :)

Cheers
Wino

david viewing
10th Dec 2004, 14:46
I got a tour of 'HMS Surprise', as used in the film, in the San Diego ship museum. Although the ship is a replica built in the US the quality of the vessel and the Royal Navy displays inside are truly superb. It's like standing inside a little piece of England afloat on the Pacific ocean. It relates a lot to the movie and the displays explain the great attention to historical detail that the whole cast got involved in.

They also have the amazing 'Star of India', the oldest merchant ship in the world still capable of going to sea, built in Ramsey IOM in 1865. Inside is another superb display, including a model of Ramsey harbour. No American tackiness - both ships are a tribute to the volunteers who maintain them and to the Brits who sailed them.

Right on the waterfront in downtown San Diego.