PDA

View Full Version : USB Bandwidth

wink wink
7th Dec 2004, 08:39
I have a ADSL usb modem, when I am connected to internet and try to use my webcam (logitech) i get the message that I have exceeded usb bandwidth and cam will not work.

My connection is normally 8.1 Mbps and in order to get my cam working I have to unplug modem turn cam on, plug modem back in and re connect to internet but only at a speed between 125kbps or 288 kbps.

I have 2 usb ports and all I can find out is modem uses 79% power available and system reserve is at 13%

Any solutions so I don't have to disconnect things and use a slower speed. What confuses me also is that when I set everything up on my laptop I have no problems what so ever and it has the same setup with 2 usb ports.

Memetic
7th Dec 2004, 13:32
Googling for this shows lots of people with similar problems ( http://www.google.com/custom?q=exceeded+usb+bandwidth+)

From having a quick read it seems like your gear is working as it should, i.e. sharing the bandwidth out between the devices.

You don't say if you have USB 1, 1.1 or 2.0 on the machines. Perhaps the difference between the laptop and the desktop is that the laptop supports USB 2 and hence provides more bandwidth? (USB 1.1 provides 12Mbits/second where as USB 2 is capable of 480Mbits/second.)

If so then perhaps adding a USB 2 card to your desktop PC would provide enough bandwidth to cope with the modem and the camera? They are about £15.

Alternatively drop the USB modem and get an ADSL router - £40 ish.

wink wink
8th Dec 2004, 04:37
I know my desktop is either usb 1 or 1.1, which on out of those two I am not sure and also not sure where to find that info...

As for putting in a usb2 card, does that actually require me to physically open up my computer? Not something I feel comfortable with.

Can you explain how a router would work or correct this problem?

Thanks for the reply....

swh
8th Dec 2004, 05:33
Wink ;)

Have you thought of using a USB hub ? all your USB devices into the hub, then a single hub cable to your desktop or laptop.

:ok:

goates
8th Dec 2004, 06:16
Using a USB hub won't solve the bandwidth problems. The two USB ports may be connected to the same connection internally. Some motherboards have two external USB ports running off of one USB connection on the motherboard. This means that both the modem and webcam would be fighting over the same limited bandwidth. A hub would just be one more device between the PC and webcam and modem. If it is USB 1, then it really won't have the bandwidth for a modem and webcam.

Adding a second USB card is pretty simple and would probably solve the problem just because you could put each device on completely separate USB connections. If you are comfortable with a screw driver, you should give it a go. Let us know, and we can walk you through it.

goates

wink wink
8th Dec 2004, 06:42
Using a USB hub won't solve the bandwidth problems. The two USB ports may be connected to the same connection internally. Some motherboards have two external USB ports running off of one USB connection on the motherboard. This means that both the modem and webcam would be fighting over the same limited bandwidth. A hub would just be one more device between the PC and webcam and modem. If it is USB 1, then it really won't have the bandwidth for a modem and webcam.

Adding a second USB card is pretty simple and would probably solve the problem just because you could put each device on completely separate USB connections. If you are comfortable with a screw driver, you should give it a go. Let us know, and we can walk you through it.

=============================

Think you got it right goates....

Okay should I decide to go shopping, tell me exactly what I should be buying and also if you need anymore information about my pc.

I am eyeing the toolbox............

goates
8th Dec 2004, 15:06
wink wink,

Sure, let us know what your PC specs are, especially the operating system (older versions of Windows don't always play well with USB).

You will want to look at something like one of these (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=150). In the US you can find PCI USB cards for as cheap as $10-$12. As with everything though, you get what you pay for, so the absolute cheapest product may not be the best answer, but you shouldn't have to spend too much. The card I linked to was on Newegg for around $25US.

Have a look around your area, let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

goates

Memetic
8th Dec 2004, 15:17
Hi Wink Wink,

Adding a USB should be easier than wiring a plug, as goates said let us know what PC / operating system you are starting with and we can be a bit more precise with a recommendation.

Using a router rather than a modem would not so much solve the problem as avoid it, as the internet conection would be vai an ethernet port into the PC so none of the bandwith on the USB would be used by your net connection, it also makes it easier to add wireless connectivity or provide more wired PC's with internet access. Mind you I was assuming you have an ethernet port on the laptop and PC whcih may not be a safe assumption!

Back to the USB card - are you in the UK? If so PM me.

Memetic.

wink wink
8th Dec 2004, 18:20
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MAIN
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model XPS-Z
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~930 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. A07, 02/21/01
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name
Time Zone
Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 62.80 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 922.21 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Okay here is my info, not sure if that is what you need or want :D I will go and see what I can find in the shops tomorrow....

No I am not in the UK.

goates
8th Dec 2004, 18:37
WindowsXP shouldn't have any troubles with a USB card. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have something like Win95/98/ME. While they do support USB, the support isn't as good or robust as in WinXP.

Do you have the manuals for your Dell? The Dell manuals that I have at home are pretty good at explaining how to install a PCI card. Dell's cases are some of the easier ones to open up too. Is the case one of the beige coloured ones (older), or a black/dark grey colour (newer)?

goates

wink wink
8th Dec 2004, 20:11
Mine is the light beige one, the computer is maybe 2-3 years old. Anyhow, I look in my manual and low and be hold complete instructions in there :ooh:

It does simple after reading through, basically open, plug in and close... Just a bit intimidating if anything.

I will give it a try in the next day or two. Tips always welcome....

Thanks for your help and time!!

goates
8th Dec 2004, 21:02
With computers the biggest danger when opening them up is static electricity. Just make sure to touch the side of the power supply (the big metal thing at the top of the case where the power cord is plugged in) while the cord is still plugged into the wall before touching anything else. After this, you should unplug the power cord. This will remove any static that you may have built up. It also helps if you have a room that isn't carpeted to do the installation in (ever shuffle around on carpet in socks, and then sneak up behind a sibling when you were a kid?). I think the Dell manuals talk about this, but can't remember right now.

PCI cards do need a little bit of force to push in, so don't worry when if it doesn't just slide in. As long as you are pushing down evenly on both ends of the card, you will be fine.

Have you ever cleaned out your computer? If not, now would be a good time to use a can of compressed air to blow out all of the dust. Especially the dust on the processor and in the power supply.

Good luck! :ok:

goates

wink wink
9th Dec 2004, 09:08
Okay I have a pci usb 2 card on order, I went to about 4 too many shops looking for one I finally got someone to order me one. They in 2 days time so in about 5 days I shall have it.

Thanks for the idea of cleaning it out, I am sure it could use it as I have never done it.

Static should not be a prob, all tile floors here but will do as you said as with my luck something would probably get zapped!

You guys are all making me much to proficient on the computer, it is making me nervous :uhoh:

wink wink
16th Dec 2004, 08:44
Well I did manage to get it changed, however not that easily! I put the card in, no problem, started the computer up, somehow managed to loss my floppy disk drive under device drivers and had a system halt. I got really nervous at that point, restarted the computer which started normally but then detected nothing new at all. I managed to waste about 3 frustrating hours trying to solve it before I claimed defeat and called the computer man who asked me to bring it in.

Once I got to the shop I was out of there in about 20 minutes, I apparently orginally got a defect card which would not have worked for anyone. and for my troubles they put an extra card in for me so I no longer have a shortage of usb ports at all. I just need to find things to plug into them!

And now my problem is solved! Thanks guys.

goates
16th Dec 2004, 14:16
Glad to hear it worked out for you! :ok:

And if you have any more questions, there's always someone around here.

goates

Lee-a-Roady Moor
18th Dec 2004, 20:43
WindowsXP shouldn't have any troubles with a USB card. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have something like Win95/98/ME. While they do support USB, the support isn't as good or robust as in WinXP.

Although slightly off topic - any thoughts on this?

Sis has older pc running 98se - has usb (built in rather than a card) which have power (plugged card reader into them and light came on - but wouldn't read photo's). But - windows doesn't recognise any devices. Have searched for a generic usb driver on net, but this didn't solve problem either.

Bottom line seems to be that although they should be supported, the machine does not like them to have any devices plugged in to them...?

All thoughts welcome

maxell
18th Dec 2004, 20:52
just a thought but check the bios to see if the usb's are turned on/enabled some older computers have it selected off

Lee-a-Roady Moor
19th Dec 2004, 21:45
Thanks Maxell, I'll give that a go in the next day or so when I see her.

Cheers

LRM