PDA

View Full Version : Removal of pilot from skills list for emigrating

Pin Head
7th Dec 2004, 02:54
Any news on the subject?

Heard it was sometime in Jan, any truth behind that.

NAMPS
7th Dec 2004, 04:55
I spoke to a migration agent I know. There is no word about January.

There have been submissions made by CASA to the Minister for Immigration to have 'pilots' as an occupation, removed from the list.

However the talk among migration agents is that no one is sure whether it will occur as no occupations have ever been removed from the list since the list was compiled.

Even if it were to be removed from the list, there would have to be some sort of transistional period for those who are currently in the process of immigrating under that occupation.

Sorry, this probably hasn't helped - as clear as mud. Then again when has there been anything been for certain with the Government!

Pin Head
7th Dec 2004, 09:02
NAMPS Check your private mail

Pin Head
7th Dec 2004, 21:03
From the CASA website;

NOTE: In Australia there are currently more than 14,000 Commercial and ATPL pilots who are not employed as pilots. The Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) is reviewing the requirement for the continued immigration of Pilots under the Skills Assessment for the Purposes of Migration (Aircraft Pilot, ASCO code 2541-11).

It is anticipated that in the near future, Aircraft Pilots will be removed from the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) which applies to applications lodged under the points-tested migration arrangements.

CASA has been advised that once the pilot occupation has been removed from the SOL, the change becomes effective immediately and no further applications will be processed by DIMIA under this category, including those already received and not yet finalised.

Due to the time and financial costs involved in converting an overseas licence to the Australian equivalent for migration skills assessment purposes, potential applicants should take these factors into consideration before deciding whether to convert their licence when this avenue may not be available.

This worries me!

NAMPS
8th Dec 2004, 01:14
Pin Head check your PMs

swh
8th Dec 2004, 01:34
In Australia there are currently more than 14,000 Commercial and ATPL pilots who are not employed as pilots.

This seems like an a comment made without engaging their brain...

People are employed in other areas that have pilot skills as a secondary part of their employment, for pleasure, as a challenge, exparts working overseas, ATC, CASA, ATSB, AMSA, defence etc etc

CASA has been advised that once the pilot occupation has been removed from the SOL, the change becomes effective immediately and no further applications will be processed by DIMIA under this category, including those already received and not yet finalised.

Does not seem fair in terms of natural justice, or in terms of correct procedure. I would think people who have their applications in being assessed and awaiting finalisation would have good grounds for appeal.