PDA

View Full Version : From Battle of Britain to SOE & Stalag Luft III

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2004, 06:40
(Talk by Wg.Cdr David Bernard MBE CEng MCIM)

With some persuasion, we've persuaded Wg.Cdr David Bernard to give a talk (actually it didn't take much persuasion, just a lot of effort on the part of his son, Gp Capt Bernard, to get the detail into order and onto powerpoint).

The gentleman in question was a radio expert before WW2, then joined up as a pilot. The RAF however said he was too clever for that and he spent the earlier part of the war flying in an out of France as an SOE operative (setting up radio comms for the resistance I believe) before being shot down and having some less than enlightening negotiations with the Gestapo. This resulted in a short stay in Stalag Luft III, which I gather he didn't enjoy so escaped and crossed the Russian lines. They didn't seem to want to send him back, so he finished WW2 fighting for the red army.

Anyhow, the chap is deeply interesting (I've had the privilege of hearing part of it in conversation) - and one of the last of a particular breed of British hero. The talk is free, under the auspices of the Royal Aeronautical Society and will be at 1930 on Wednesday 16 February at Falklands house in Oxpens road in Oxford (that's the Oxford UAS HQ building near to the main Railway station). More details, if you need them, from [email protected]

Hope nobody minds me sharing that.

G