PDA

View Full Version : is the world going backwards ?

X-dash8thrasher
6th Dec 2004, 02:05
a cut n paste from an e-news article ,
enough to make many of our domestic problems pale.
Im quite happy these days to stay in my relatively un-barbaric corner of the world.

"The survey also found that the 40 per cent who had heard of Jemaah Islamiah, a third of them supported the extremist group, 25 per cent wanted Christian teachers banned in state schools, 40 per cent want the chopping off of hands included in the justice system"

farewell 2004 , welcome in 1504.

http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20041206/13/domestic/1258679.inp

MikeKnight
6th Dec 2004, 02:26
40 per cent want the chopping off of hands included in the justice system

Imagine the frustration that would build up.

:{

Feeton Terrafirma
6th Dec 2004, 03:42
I'm totally sick of all these radical religious nuts, I say lets shoot them all!!! :ok:

OH...... :hmm: that would be their approach to solving the problem but unfortunately it doesnt work, in fact it breeds resistance and support for those being persecuted. Although the radical actions of many religious nuts (and I don't care what faith they claim to support) is abhorrent and even frightening to me, I don't think there is any easy solution. I think that much of the religious ferver is used to hide a basic feeling of jealousy and frustration, a feeling that they are second class citizens who have to fight for their rights. In some cases this is probably true too. The real method of fixing the problem has to be a combination of education and empowerment (damn I hate using stupid jargon like that) to provide real paths for greivances to be addressed.

Where do we start? :confused:

BlueDiamond
6th Dec 2004, 06:59
There is nothing like the subject of religions for promoting aggression. If these people who consider themselves to be "religious" or "God-fearing" or "devout" would actually spend some of their time adhering to the principles they are supposed to embrace then perhaps things might change for the better. Until that time arrives, perhaps it would be better to ban religions altogether. It certainly can not be demonstrated that they do much good much good in the world. The evil comitted in the name of religions however ....

goates
6th Dec 2004, 14:24
perhaps it would be better to ban religions altogether.

The Soviets tried that and the Chinese still try to. That certainly didn't/hasn't stopped the respective governments from carrying out some truly barbaric acts.

About the only way to stop this is to make sure everyone in the world has the same high level of education and to eliminate poverty everywhere. Then we might get somewhere.

I'm not going to hold my breath though.

goates