PDA

View Full Version : Skippers and Jets??????

crystalballwannabe
6th Dec 2004, 01:45
Any truth to the rumour Skippers may enter the jet scene shortly with a BA146 once NJS start replacing their fleet with 717s? Hear they have a contract with a client (Goldmine) that will alone assure its success.

Capt Claret
6th Dec 2004, 01:47
Or maybe NJS'll keep the 146s to further expand their mining work. :rolleyes:

cunninglinguist
6th Dec 2004, 08:36
That 1 goldmine would wanna be having 2 flights a day, 7 days a week or be over the other side of the country to justify a jet on its own.

Capn Bloggs
7th Dec 2004, 03:38
Crystal,

I'd keep gazing at your crystal ball if I were you.
Firstly, the 146 is not a jet: it's a hairdryer-powered aerial bus.
Secondly, you obviously don't know much about NJS: the red tail fleet and the blue tail fleet are two completely different kettles of fish and only some of the red tails MAY be replaced by diesel 9s. Thirdly, that goldmine contract has already been won by NJS. Get your job app in quick or you'll miss out! The 146 is a dying breed and you'll rue the day you didn't take the opportunity to put it in your logbook!

spinout
7th Dec 2004, 03:57
There is no guarantee that NJS will get the Qantaslink contract ....

Hugh Jarse
7th Dec 2004, 08:54
Not by the way JQ are hiring onto the B717 Spinout:8 If you know what I mean..........

scramjet77
7th Dec 2004, 09:00
No HJ, what do you mean?

Galley Power
7th Dec 2004, 09:33
No, no one knows who will get the B717 contract, that's correct.
But the QantasLink 146s (with or without the B717 contract) will transfer back to their lessors or to charter flying (blue tail NJS), as NJS are constantly picking up new work, and its just getting busier. The CEO stated she will see the BAE146 flying perhaps even past this decade (in charter, not QantasLink). NJS charter has picked up heaps over the last couple of years.
How exciting yet scary at the same time...

Capn Bloggs
7th Dec 2004, 12:13
Arrrh, as a living aviation icon once said: "146s: the DC-3s of the jet age!". How true. Let's be honest: what else can do what it does? There'll be plenty of them flying well after all the Fokkers are @ucked...

topend3
7th Dec 2004, 23:54
AJ can be quoted as saying that JQ have put in a very competitive bid to pick up the WA Qlink work.

2x146's will remain on leases and flying in the qlink fleet till 2006, this was reported in the initial press release.

Word has it that NJS staff have volunteered a pay-cut so that NJS can get it's own bid down to the same price JQ are able to quote...

Capn Bloggs
8th Dec 2004, 00:32
Topend,
Waddya reckon Alan Joyce would say? "Nah, we cant' be stuffed" (which is probably close to the truth). Of course he has to push the politically-correct line and "make a fight of it".

Huge Bum,
JQ will have 717s until AT LEAST mid 2006, so of course they would be recruiting for it as their senior troops go to the deathstar. Don't forget they've got 14 and only 8 are going west (eventually). I wouldn't be getting "me props in a not " over JQ advertising for 717 drivers.

galley_gossiper
8th Dec 2004, 06:34
Without having much knowledge of the situation ... it would seem to make business sense for QF to direct jetstar to bid 'very low' to get the 717 contract with Qantaslink.... only in order for NJS to bid 'even lower' .. then hand it over to NJS at very cheap rates. Jetstar is part of Qantas, whether they want the contract or not, surely it would be in the ' Qantas Group's' benefit to get the price as low as possible, via a bidding war with NJS..... and then hand over the aircraft to NJS at cheaper than 'possible' prices .... how much does NJS want the contract? Does Jetstar really need the contract ?

Icarus2001
8th Dec 2004, 07:05
Isn't this a thread about SKIPPERS & JETS??????????:confused:

cunninglinguist
8th Dec 2004, 09:09
Galley gossiper, common sense and reasoning will not be tolerated here, or at QF:p
NJS are already under JQ in wages so it won't take alot to be competitive, plus as I've said on other threads, Joyce is kidding himself if he thinks he is at an advantage with start up costs.
Why would JQ need a hangar and major eng. base ( apart from if they kept the 717 ) when QF have'nt needed one, with a truckload more flights every day than JQ will ever have into/out of Perth.
Training costs?? I suppose all the current 717 drivers will stay on that type while all the newbies go onto the deathstar, yeh right.

Now, what was it about Skippers.................................