PDA

View Full Version : CPL NZ to FAA or JAA?

skidkicker75
6th Dec 2004, 01:31
Hi,

is there anybody who can give me some advice please?

I am currently undergoing my CPL(H) training in NZ. I am from the UK, but everything i have heard and read of the chances of employment in the uk are nil, nada, zip, zero.

So please tell me am i wasting my time (and limited money) by coming back to the UK and getting my ATPL groundschool done, when it is most likely that i will end up going to the states to seek fame and fortune!!

Am i indeed better off saving said limited financial means for when i get to USA and doing my ATPL there?

OR does the UK JAA ATPL count for anything in the states? :confused:

Any input will be much appriceated.

P.S wouldnt it be nice if we could work at home, if somebody out there belived in new talent;) , instead of propping up somebody elses economey!!!

FlightOops
7th Dec 2004, 12:25
I can sympathise entirely .... shortened long story ...

money in my pocket - go to Oz - get CPL(H) - go back to UK - try and find work - slit wrists !!

In all honesty it's not been that bad, but the market here for a CPL(H) is difficult.

My solution was take an ops job with an extremely good outfit whilst converting my licence. ATPL from Bristol (one of the best).
Still not commercial but almost there.

My advice:
If you want to work in the uk then:

a) console yourself with a 'hangar rat' position and HOPE for the opportunity (opportunity rating: 1/10)

b) budget to convert to uk CPL(H) (yes ATPL !!) and then onto FI(H) as the work chances are much better for an FI(H) - current hours requirement is min 250 hours followed by FI groundschool and 30 hour course (opportunity rating: 8/10)

c) win the lottery and tell everyone to poke it when you buy yourself an S76 and fly on a PPL priveledges of NZ-CPL(H) (opportunity rating: 1/1,000,000)

Seriously, if you are going to convert to uk, consider meeting and adding JAA night and instrument requirements to your NZ-CPL whilst still in NZ (cheaper) as it will be required for your JAA-CPL(H).

My Oz CPL (Day VFR) on reflection seems to have just been a protracted PPL as I have learnt a huge amount more here in UK although that may be down to quality of instruction rather than syllabus - choose carefully - there are shockers here as well as abroad.

Can't comment for FAA work - my opinion is that JAA CPL(H) will offer you more opportunity in USA that FAA in UK !!

Hope someone else provides you with useful info and experience on FAA.

Happy to answer any other questions.... GOOD LUCK !!!