PDA

View Full Version : Flying apprenticeship

Gillespie
5th Dec 2004, 20:48
Hello chaps and chapesses,

I’d love to be able to hop straight into the right hand seat of a Shiny jet as soon as I finish my training, but I understand that this is extremely rare.

So I’ve been thinking, what are the most honorable ways of achieving First officer status on a jet without having to pimp myself to an airline (i.e. pay for my own rating).

Obviously flight instruction is the most obvious, and from what a few friends have said, extremely rewarding. How does one go about getting a job as a flight instructor once you get the FI ticket? Is it normally the case that the school employs you once you finish the rating? I’ve never seen low hour FI jobs advertised.

The other option I’ve been putting thought into is bush flying in Africa. Anyone know anything about this? I don’t have any particular area in mind, or what type of bush flying for that matter. I’m simply trying to conjure up an equivalent of an apprenticeship to bridge that gap from 250hrs to say 1000/1500hrs TT.

I believe a ‘flying’ apprenticeship will improve my overall flying ability, captaincy, general navigation, airmanship etc…..

Thank you in advance for any replies…