PDA

View Full Version : Best place to eat in Dublin Airport?

Guern
5th Dec 2004, 17:06
Mrs Guern wants to know where the best place for us to grab a bite to eat in Dublin airport when we have a couple of hours going through there at Christmas.

Any recommendations chaps??

skyrabbit
5th Dec 2004, 17:31
If you have time get a cab to 'The Old Schoolhouse' in nearby Swords.

Not cheap...but food is great.

Rabbs :ok:

Spearing Britney
5th Dec 2004, 18:50
For a great Irish pub (and pretty good food) get a cab to Malahide for Smyths Bar..mmmmmmmmm...Guinnnnesss.

In the airport there is standard ordinary fare, a poor motorway cafe style restaurant (with OK views over teh field) a Maccy D's and an an O'Briens Sandwich bar (probably the best bet combined with a few Guinness in the very nice pub on the upper level). The Great Southern Hotel has relatively good food now and again and you could get on the shuttle to it if you played your cards right! Its a short walk otherwise...

DUBXH
8th Dec 2004, 14:25
A trip to Malahide in general is a good idea.... It's nearby and only a few bob in a taxi and is considered the "upper" end of North Co Dublin and has a VAST array of Cafe's and restuarunts but they tend to be a bit pricey at times..... If your looking for something to chew in the airport your best off doing what everyone else does and go to The Spar downstairs and get a nice Chicken Fillet Baguette... Only thing us dubs can afford up there :o/ Enjoy :)

Yellow Sun
8th Dec 2004, 16:48
The Great Southern is alright, lunch there is quite acceptable. Walkable (weather permitting) or shuttle bus.

YS

st.elmo
15th Dec 2004, 17:47
Your asking about eating in the airport and I am trying very hard to think of a place you could eat here. The better of a bad and expensive bunch would be the Sky View Bar. Most the other places are a total rip off and tasteless.

As mentioned, the Great Southern is good and they will pick you up from the terminal and drop you back. (use the phones beside the Information Desk for the bus down).

Malahide is a fantastic spot and well worth the visit but a taxi fare there and back will set you back about 40euro.

The alternative option is a Thai restaurant called the Pink Elephant in Swords. Swords is 5mins away and the place is located just off main Street behind Bank of Ireland. It is home to some of the best dishes in the area and the prices are very fair.

If you do venture there, I would suggest the Thai green or red curry.(unbeatable). Taxi there and back 20euro. Swords Cabs 2000 number is 00353 1 8900 900 and they can pick you up off your flight and drop you back, so you dont waist time.

Bon Appetite!

Sky_Captain
16th Dec 2004, 01:14
Depends on your time. If your talking about a 1-3 hour stop-over I wouldn't venture too far, The Great Southern on the airport grounds provides a reasonible menu, not special though, if not the "Coachmans" just off the airport grounds, does a half decent carvery. Another option would be the recently opened Crown Plaza hotel in santry, no more than a 10 minute taxi ride, and a pleasant menu choice.

I would have to agree with the other posts here, for a 3 or more hour stop, I would suggest either Swords or Malahide. Both will have resteraunts covering all ranges, and both towns have their individual "Greats". Personel favourite would be Oscor Taylors in Malahide, wonderful carvery downstairs, and a lovely restaurant upstairs. Taxi cost would be about 22-24 euro return. If taxi fare is a consideration, then i'd agree with skyrabbit of the old school house.

The choice is yours

S.C. :ok:

Flame
19th Dec 2004, 22:36
Hey Floks;

The question was for a suggestion of an eating place at Dublin airport..not elswehere!!!!!, although having said that, if I had to eat at Dublin Airport it would also be elsewhere, but.....if you must, the best of a very bad lot, mainly for the rip off prices is...in my opinion, the "Nude Restuarant" on the Mezzenanine level

And before anyone gets on to me..believe it or not, but thats what it is called "Nude"

Regards

j_davey
21st Dec 2004, 19:46
If you are into fast food, theres a Mc Donalds and a nice Pizza Bar called sbarro in the food court. personally i find that a sausage and egg McMuffin is a great way to start the day :p

O`briens sandwich bar is also there, but if i`d rather bend over than pay their off the wall prices.....

john.