PDA

View Full Version : EMA-Guernsey

BDWW
5th Dec 2004, 15:38
Does have anyone have any info who might take on this route now Aurigny have pulled out? It always looked like a fairly solid route for Aurigny, especially in the summer, so i'd be suprised if another carrier wasn't interested in taking it up.

Lite
5th Dec 2004, 15:45
I was almost sure that it was a summer-only route for Aurigny, and am sure that the route, with the ATR aircraft, would be re-launched around March-May time?

If not, I could imagine that either flybe (rumoured to be launching flights from NEMA) or bmi might launch the route.

J-Guy
5th Dec 2004, 16:17
The East Midlands flight does not appear to return for the summer. The route will be completely discontinued on Xmas Eve.

I would think the chances of another operator taking on the route are fairly slim, the airlines willing to operate such a route seem rather limited. British Midland Commuter operated the route up until 2001 when Aurigny took it over.

Guern
5th Dec 2004, 16:38
Fly Be probably won't be interested as they run the BHX service which isn't that far away at 37 miles between the two.

phil_2405
5th Dec 2004, 21:07
I think the service will be lost. The only chance it has is if flybe decide to operate at NEMA and take the route on. I know they operate the route from BHX but I reckon a summer-only service from NEMA could work.

we_never_change
5th Dec 2004, 21:59
I did hear that Rockhopper (who currently operate BN2 & BN3 on Inter-Island + Channel Islands to Shoreham/Bournemouth flights) were looking at taking on larger aircraft (possibly SH360 or ATR42). Maybe a contender for the future?

WNC

dotwaffle
20th Dec 2004, 20:36
If you fancy paying for my CPL/IR/ATPL and running costs, I'll gladly run the route every day myself :)

caa19
11th Jan 2005, 19:31
As mentioned previously GCI-EMA disappeared before Christmas, although originally GR stated they would operate on Fri and Sat in Jan, Feb, Mar it has disappeared completely!

GR were the ones who took on the route from what is now bmi regional when they withdrew from GCI and before WW at EMA. Indeed taking on dropped routes is GR speciality – look at STN-GCI which was taken on from Air UK / KLMuk when it was dropped. Seams strange given EMA-GCI was 128% up in Summer 2004.

AX would be an interesting contender but I think that might tempt GR to put it back – look what happened at BOH! GR operated with SF340 and on a weekend ATR72 (again suggesting it was popular) – interesting to see what AX would use.

egnxema
12th Jan 2005, 07:05
sorry to sound stupid - who are AX? Can't find them in the OAG.

slj
12th Jan 2005, 07:40
AX = Rockhopper operates islanders from Guersney and Alderney.

An example of an airline run well by a businessman in contrast to recent history at Aurigny. Build up a niche market and give passengers what they want.

Transat Hostie
12th Jan 2005, 09:29
How come someone like Eastern Airways don't seem to touch the Channel Islands? Surely they could pop a Jetstream of some sort onto a route like this and make some dosh out of it?

Or is it too "leisure" for them I wonder?

;)