PDA

View Full Version : The IMC Rating

davey147
5th Dec 2004, 13:25
Hi,

I completed my JAA PPL at Naples air Center last May, and want to go back next May to do my IMC rating and Night rating. I was wondering what people think the best plane is to do this rating is either a Warrior or C172, I did my PPL in a C152.

Also I have done no flying back here in the UK, but wanted to get my IMC before I start, and I noticed that there is a 25 hour minmum for the IMC, do you know if it is possible to do the hours over there before I start the IMC or do I have to convert my licence to FAA?

I would be gratefull for any information in the IMC rating.

Thanks

flyfish
7th Dec 2004, 09:03
Hi there. I think you have decide what you are going to fly post IMC and night ratings and base your choice on that. The schools where I learnt , tend to use the 172 or pa28 for the IMC as they tend to have the better equipment fit.

However, as you say you havent done any flying in the UK yet and havent flown since May, I would recommend doing some VFR flying over here first to
a) get the correct amount of solo cross country hours in to start the courses.
b) get your flying skillls up to speed for the IMC.
c) get used to UK flying (its very different to the USA particulary the comms side).

If I were you the first thing I would do is pop down to your local club and get a few hours in with an instructor. Then go and enjoy the views and have some fun.

With regard to hours required and indeed anything else you need to know about your licence and pre course requirements download 'Lasors' from the CAA site.

good luck and safe flying

FISH

Sky Wave
7th Dec 2004, 10:35
I'd have to agree with FISH.

If you need 25 hours you can get 5 completing your night rating and the rest flying round the UK either at night or at day getting used to the airspace and RT.

Most IMC pilots will tell you that it's the one rating you need to keep practising else you'll quickly lose the knack. The best place to practice is on your local procedure which you will have done 30 or so times before during your training. Obviously if you do your IMC at NAC that is no longer an option. You have to be careful that having completed the IMC at NAC you don't find yourself in an uneasy situation if you come back to the UK, get yourself into IMC in an area where you are not familiar, with radio procedures that are different from what you are used to. It just all adds to the pressure.

As far as aircraft goes, it doesn't really matter as long as they've all got enough instruments and Nav Aids. Go for the aircraft that you are most comfortable flying.

davey147
7th Dec 2004, 19:47
Thanks for your comments,

The thing that puts me off any training in the UK is the price, I physically cant afford £120 /hr to rent an aircraft compared to the £40 in the US.

I do understand that its going to be completely different flying in the UK, but i think I will have to face that problem when it arrises.