PDA

View Full Version : Mauritania

simfly
5th Dec 2004, 10:30
Hello folks,

Wondering if there are any guys out there working in Mauritania who could give a bit of an insight into what the work is like ie, conditions, lifestyle etc etc. Know a few people who keep asking about it (me included...).

Simfly

5th Dec 2004, 13:36
I've just finished working in Mauritania. The conditions are generally much better than most of west Africa. It's very hot (up to about 45c), but generally very low humidity, so it's not too bad. The evening temp is just right for a BBQ.
It is an Islamic country, but you can get alcohol, although it is fairly expensive.
There are a few resonable bar/restaurants in town. They are generally Pizza/steak/pasta places.
The large supermarkets stock a very good selection of western items, but again, these will cost a lot more than in Europe.

Overall, I found it a very nice place. It is safe to travel about during the day and night, with no danger of being mugged or robbed.
The only problem comes from the standard of driving. It is a free for all on the roads.

SASless
5th Dec 2004, 17:09

Is the rumour true that Allain Teargas de Champs Ellyse is the BHL guy in charge and not "The Sheep" as in years past?

6th Dec 2004, 10:20
Yes, It's true.
The Sheep is long gone from Bristows. He's now Shell aviation (based in Lagos)

SASless
6th Dec 2004, 15:43
Good for The Sheep......too bad for the guys that get the experience of Tear Gas. Just proves that not only cream rises to the top.

Merde!

Check Six!