PDA

View Full Version : EZY Manchester base?

Wizofoz
5th Dec 2004, 07:45
From the Manchester evening news:-

EasyJet fuels air price war

BUDGET airline easyJet has been given the all-clear to fuel a Manchester Airport price war.

The no-frills airline, which has secured key summer landing slots, has spent millions buying 20 new Airbus jets and plans a huge expansion.

The airline's bosses are expected to make a final decision in the New Year on whether to take advantage of their new summer slots.

EasyJet says the move doesn't mean they will pull out of Liverpool John Lennon Airport, where it operates 13 cut-price routes and is in the fourth year of a 20-year deal.

Airline spokeswoman Samantha Day said: "We have been talking to Manchester for a number of years, but now we have taken the additional step of applying for the slots.

"Manchester is getting very busy and it's important we get our foot in the door - there's no point in deciding to go to Manchester if the airport is full.

"We have applied for the slots for summer 2005 and we will make a decision on them early in the New Year. Even if we don't take up the slots, we will apply for slots for the winter of 2005.

"We are due to take delivery of 20 new Airbus aircraft next year and we have to decide where to put them."

Seems inevitable then?

Scottie Dog
5th Dec 2004, 08:24
I think you will find that this has already been well covered in the 'Manchester Happenings' thread.

Rumours and more rumours - but this contradicts the supposed press statement made to Travel Trade Gazette when an easyJet spokesperson siad they had 'no interest' in Manchester.

PropellerPaul
5th Dec 2004, 15:04
I believe it's not going to be an actual base as such, but operating 'W' patterns into & out of Manchester. So there will be no actual aircraft based there as I understand it. I suppose at least it's a foot in the door. All the pilots are talking about it at work so I guess it will happen sooner or later...