PDA

View Full Version : Question re: ants, mozzie and flys

gatfield
5th Dec 2004, 04:00
I have a question that someone may be able to help me with.

Ok I could look it up on the net, but I am too lazy ok.

The question relates to insects. It seems to me that they can be rather discriminatory who they choose to attack of pick on and I wonder why this is and how this works?

For example I go out the backyard which is covered in ants and they crawl on me, but rarely do I get stung. But the hubby goes out the back and they drive him nuts with stinging him.
I am always, "i don't know what your problem is, they are not hurting me"

My sister noticed a similiar phenomenon with her partner. Recently he went away for work. she insisted he come back so that the mozzies would stop attacking her and go back to him. As she has noticed when he is around they go for him more.

Is this a case of men just being sooks or are insects selective on who they attack?

TomOz
5th Dec 2004, 04:21
I have heard that mosquitos are attracted to people with vitamin B deficiency. I eat vegemite on my toast, and drink plenty of beer - both good sources of vitamin B, and I never get bitten. I believe that mozzies also prefer O-type blood, and people with higher body temperature.

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Dec 2004, 05:20
...And sweaty feet.....

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 06:05
they don't seem to bother feet that are solidly planted on the ground either.

ok, I'll leave now

Feeton

Binoculars
5th Dec 2004, 07:50
Bloody mozzies. A pest. :mad:

Absolutely no doubt that some people attract them more than others, but what their criteria for a good eating spot are I haven't been able to isolate. I thought for a while that they may prefer fair skin to olive skin, and wondered whether there was a racist element involved. A sort of mozzie National Front if you will.

Then for a while I thought I was on to something with oily vs dry skins, but that didn't pan out either.

I would conclude from this extensive scientific experiment that the little buggers are like humans and all like something different, but without exception they think my A positive blood is the equivalent of Grange Hermitage, and in my neck of the woods a can of mozzie repellent is an essential weapon when venturing outside within an hour of sunset.

BlueWolf
5th Dec 2004, 08:20
A mate in the Air Force swore by dark rum as the best insect repellent in existence. Apparently, on exercise in Singapore, the RNZAF guys were swapping their service issue repellent for Coruba with the Yanks, who were subsequently eaten to bits, whilst the Kiwis slept soundly and undisturbed. Evidently it comes out through one's pores. I've tried it on the West Coast, and the theory certainly seems to have a basis.

At the very least, you sleep better.
:p

Jerricho
5th Dec 2004, 15:14
Need to get your hands on some good old Aeroguard, and 'ave a good weekend ;)