PDA

View Full Version : "Stranded Air Polonia passengers"(merged)

tom de luxe
4th Dec 2004, 23:00
On their website, SkyEurope are advertising "Free flights" for "stranded Air Polonia passengers" as of Dec 5, 2004 (i.e. now... just). :ooh:

On the other hand, Air Polonia's own site seems to be "business as usual". What's the story? LoCo Bloodbath Vol. 4?

[#1 Volareweb #2 V-Bird #3AirLib - not counting various startups that folded before commencing ops or immediately afterwards]

RDUBWI
5th Dec 2004, 06:18
From Air Polonia website (www.airpolonia.com and then "buy a ticket")

Dear Passengers,

We regret to inform you that from Sunday 5 December 2004, all our flights are suspended and tickets are not on sale at the moment. We inform you that SkyEurope Airlines has agreed to carry our passengers for free (excluding airport taxes and charges) on its network. You may use this option by rebooking on www.skyeurope.com.

[...]

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Air Polonia Management

tom de luxe
5th Dec 2004, 10:43
We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Apologies accepted.
Well then, back to FRA or GDG for flights to WAW. Pity, HHN was actually quite convenient for my area (not that it's anywhere near Frankfurt. Actually, could Ryanair please fly simultaneoulsy to Frankfurt-Hahn and Luxembourg-Hahn?) :E

phil_2405
5th Dec 2004, 21:28
Another LCC bites the dust..who's next?? :confused:

dwlpl
5th Dec 2004, 21:49
I see that Wizz Air is to help carry stranded Air Polonia passengers also.

DDF
5th Dec 2004, 22:14
They might as well they have plenty of spare seats….:{

Hudson Bay
5th Dec 2004, 22:49
Air Polonia has been grounded tonight leaving over 50,000 people stranded. The banks pulled the plug because of financial fears.

My guess is this is just the begining. Yet again we see airlines operating the wrong equipment. When will they learn?

timzsta
6th Dec 2004, 10:47
Air Polonia were operating 737's when I dispatched for then at STN. Whats wrong with that as your equipment as a LCC?

Hudson Bay
6th Dec 2004, 11:58
Thin and short routes. They did not justify 150/170 seaters.

brabazon
6th Dec 2004, 12:23
Were they any shorter than Ryanair's routes? and before FR start flying on some routes the traffic is not just thin, but nonexistent and wouldn't justify a 189 seater and yet most work. I think you need to look at the costs of the Air Polonia operation and how they were marketing the flights.

Cyrano
6th Dec 2004, 14:12
From their schedule (http://www.airpolonia.com/rozklad.php?lang=en) the average block time to me looks about 2 hours, probably the same or higher than FR (all those Ireland-UK 50-60 minute sectors...)

737s are entirely reasonable for those sector lengths. So whatever about "thin", certainly not "short".

However what is noticeable from the schedule is that with the exception of STN-WAW, all their routes were served a *maximum* of once-daily. That could have been because they were too thin for more frequent service, or it could have been because the airline felt the need to stake out as much territory as possible in the face of expected competition, but it does look as though their fleet was spread a bit thin. This also means of course that their marketing budget had to be spread across more stations.