PDA

View Full Version : Curry!

AeroSpark
4th Dec 2004, 22:52
Hard to believe I know but last night age the age of 29 I went for my first proper curry.
And it was excellent. According to the chef it was 'only a medium' but it was quite warm enough for me:\
However it seems I am now hooked, as I can't wait for my next
one, so can anyone tell me which curry to go for next time? (preferably one that leaves the lining of my mouth intact)

Tuba Mirum
4th Dec 2004, 23:16
AeroSpark, you are in good company - Mrs TM discovered Indian food at the age of 44. (Her ex-husband has never discovered it at all :p )

For something mild, I suggest a korma or pasanda dish. For something a bit warmer, tikka masala (actually a dish invented in the UK, I gather) or jalfrezi. I don't go much for anything hotter, so can't advise.

My local Indian does a wonderful chicken tikka tandoori, but this is liable to vary a great deal in content from restaurant to restaurant. It may be a Bengali thing to do it the way they do - no sauce as such, but the chicken lumps cooked in spices in a tandoori oven have an extraordinarily delicate taste.

If you find yourself anywhere near Oxfordshire, PM me and I'll tell you where my favourite restaurant is.

BitMoreRightRudder
5th Dec 2004, 00:13
Better late than never Aerospark.

My personal recommendations, in no particular order:

Karai Chicken (usually on the specials menu)

Chicken Biryani

Chicken Dhansak

Lamb Bhuna

With Pilau rice and if you can fit it, some garlic or vegetable naan. A splash of Raita will cool your mouth down if things get out of hand.

You MUST wash it down with a cold bottle of one of the following:

Cobra
Kingfisher (especially good)
Tiger

Drinking Carling with curry carries the death penalty.

Enjoy your next one, whatever it may be:)

yintsinmerite
5th Dec 2004, 00:30
Yes yes yes - curry . The best traditional British food.

Chicken Dhansak
Karai Chicken
Machurian chicken

plus of course side orders - best in my mind

Chana Chat

Bdami vegetables

Keema Nan

Mater Paneer

Plus beer wise,
Bangla

In fact i'm hungary and . .. oh b*ther, they are shut

Cowbell
5th Dec 2004, 04:54
I would kill for some curry and chips right about now.

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Dec 2004, 05:04
Always been partial to a mutton Dopiaza m'self. Inform the chef not to be stingy with the onions and you're on to a winner.

Salted Lassi goes well with this one.

Caerphilly Express (Ridley's Train Series) because I've got a soft spot for it.....

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 07:20
I used to enjoy an Indoneasian Curry on occassions and the Indoneasian I knew used to scoff and those bland Indian curries. The first time I tried Indian food was on a visit to the UK in '88. Every second restaurant seemed to be Indian, so I tried a chicken tandoori. I didn't like the flavour, found the chicken very tough and six days later I finally stopped trying in in various forms. I was not a happy camper. Never been game to try Indian since.

Blacksheep
5th Dec 2004, 10:18
Now you've lost your cherry so to speak, book your next holiday to India and try the real thing. Stay out of the hotel restaurants and eat what you can see being cooked fresh in the local eateries open to the street. Don't drink anything with ice in it or that hasn't been boiled.

A safety warning is in order - don't eat raw vegetables (ie salad) or fruit that doesn't have to be peeled before you eat it and you should be safe from Delhi-Belly. The worst case of food poisoning I ever saw in India was a chap who ate from the buffet in an internationally acclaimed 5-star chain hotel.

BlueEagle
5th Dec 2004, 10:30
And if you haven't tasted Bombay Potato you haven't lived!

(Some of the best Prawn Curry I have ever eaten came from a Chinese Take Away!).

Lon More
5th Dec 2004, 10:58
Get a good recipe book and try it yourself

Bought most of mine yonks go but recently bought "The best ever Indian" pub. by Paragon at the local suprmarket. Lots of good recipes with photos.

Try dhansak or korma recipes, quite easy to cook, and fairly mild.

Grandpa
5th Dec 2004, 15:31
Why not a kulfi.............?

timmcat
5th Dec 2004, 15:47
Objection! One of my cats is called Kulfi.

Grandpa
5th Dec 2004, 16:14
Call it Khulfi..................

(how sweet is your cat?)

Jerricho
5th Dec 2004, 17:22
2nd vote for Bombay Potato. Like yourself Aero, I didn't experience a real curry until I was well into my second quater century. It was in a little pub tucked out of the way between Hook and Highfield (in Hampshire, of the B3349). It was an experience I will never forget (and the next morning as well ;) )

tall and tasty
5th Dec 2004, 17:57
Hi AeroSpark

I was a late comer to curry to and am truly hooked now.

Depends whether you are a fish eater too, but if you are go for any of the Tiger pawn dishes too especially with the lemon rice. God I am getting hungry for one now.

The side orders just try a whole range if you go with a group of people and every restaurant has its own variation. But love Bombay Potato, bindi bhaji ( okra), sag aloo sag ponir and the bhaji mushroom or onion.. Popadoms can be lethal as they fill you up as you wait so be prepared!

Wash the lot down with Cobra if you are a beer drinker and then diet for the next 10 weeks! (joking) :oh:

Hope you get some ideas from that

TnT

:ok:

Miserlou
5th Dec 2004, 19:52
While I agree that a good Indian curry is good, I prefer Thai food

I'd almost go so far as to wager that a good Thai curry is better than an Indian but the two types are too different to be compared in that way.

Thai dishes are easily as hot but there are also more subtle and delicate sensations.

Paracab
5th Dec 2004, 20:20
I'd say you can't go far wrong with.....

A couple of Poppadoms + Dips
Chicken Bhuna
Keema Rice
Bombay Aloo
Keema Naan
Lots of Cobra

Lets us know how you get on with the next visit to the Curry House !

Atlas Shrugged
5th Dec 2004, 21:35
You have to try Fahl at least once................it's more like chemotherapy than curry!!

EngTech_XV
5th Dec 2004, 22:24
So where is the best curry house in the world? The Fort Raj in Horley would do for starters.:\

Icryalot
5th Dec 2004, 22:34
EngTech_XV

Ditto

DX Wombat
5th Dec 2004, 22:39
So where is the best curry house in the world?The answer is: in Bradford of course, the Curry Capital of the UK :ok:

CoodaShooda
5th Dec 2004, 23:33
As someone else has said, buy a good recipe book and food blender, build up a basic pantry of ingredients (garlic, ginger, tamarind, trasssi, cane sugar, chillis etc) and have fun experimenting.
Look for a book that covers the Asian region as a whole rather than focussing just on Indian.

I cook 3 or 4 'spicy' meals a week for the family, although they tend to be from a limited, easily prepared menu such as green chicken or fish curry, massaman beef and potato curry, tandoori chicken or cajun chicken (not asian but very nice).

The family favourite is Balinese Beef Curry (Daging Masik Bali) but this is a weekend recipe due to the cooking time.
It is basically onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and trassi (shrimp paste) ground into a paste. Fry the beef in the paste then add tamarind liquid, dark soy sauce and water. Simmer until the meat is soft, add cane sugar and salt to taste and evaporate off the liquid.
Serve with rice, papadums, yogurt, pineapple, mango etc etc. :D

airship
6th Dec 2004, 01:23
One still eats and even cooks one's own curries. But they often make one sad. They are a constant reminder of one's youth. Of those innumerable Friday evenings when one left one's lodgings in the direction of the local hotspots, one's wallet filled to the brim with one's weekly wages and one's innocent hopes of sexual gratification...

...if one had merely succeeded once for every 5 vindaloos, once for every 10 dansaks or once for every 20 tandooris, one would have had the fondest memories of curries. :{

BombayDuck
6th Dec 2004, 04:24
this thread was WAITING for me, eh?

If you're new to Indian food, DO NOT try any of the following at first shot..

1) anything that says "Vindaloo"

2) Ditto for "Kolhapuri"

3) "Mirch" (literally - Chilli)

Vindaloo is the kinda that tells you what dragons felt when they exhaled fire with their mouths shut. You will also be served a reminder of the previous day's - or two - dinner each time you visit the loo. :uhoh:

For sweets, NO ONE beats the Bengalis. They have the most awesomest varieties of juicy sweets that generally amount to your calorie quote for three days....

If you like soups, try a "Yakhni" which is Kashmiri for soup - they have this lovely way of making soups...

Dhansak is lovely.... the parsis make good food. Another dish of theirs is "Patra nu machhi" or "Fish in leaves" where fish is marinated with a green chutney, wrapped in banana leaves and then steamed....

For fried fish, its Konkani food. if you're in bombay, let me know.

And rice... Biryani, Biryani, Biryani. Also some assorted typed of "Pulavs" - lots of varieties.

Now would someone tell me what the hell is Bombay Aaloo? coz we sure dont have it here!

Mouth waters. I stop.

Fragman88
6th Dec 2004, 05:33
Agreed on staying away from the Hotels in India. In many happy years of transits the only case of Bombay Belly I suffered was from a 5 star coffee shop. The Royal Bombay Yacht Club Curry Lunch was a life experience, I hope it's still going if only for the wonderful staff and surroundings-not to be missed. I'm afraid I have been a little corrupted by Thai and Malaysian curries, so it's hard to pick a favourite. Maybe just a little more comparative sampling is required?................................................... ..............:E

Tuba Mirum
6th Dec 2004, 05:58
Bombay Duck, sitting here in UK I feel singularly unqualified to inform someone from your part of the world, but on the the menu from my local Indian (the Elaichi in Grove), Bombay potatoes are referred to as Aloo Zera - does this help?

Took Mrs TM there for a birthday meal yesterday - chicken achaar and chicken dopiaza (and Bangla) - yum!

The SSK
6th Dec 2004, 06:49
AeroSpark,

Don't be afraid to order a meal without rice, but with bread instead - discover the delights of naan, chapatis, parathas (especially the ones with a layer of veg stuffing). You are allowed to mop up the sauce on your plate. And don't be afraid to go vegetarian, either

TopBunk
6th Dec 2004, 07:14
Bombay Duck

Ahh, the memories! I believe outlawed by the EU some 6 years ago or so, allegedly for the non-sterilised way in which they were produced.

My local did manage to get some in briefly about 3 years ago but only for regulars and not back on the menu.

For those not familiar with Bombay Duck, it is actually an air-dried fish with an acquired and quite pungent flavour and smell, but the taste once acquired makes it a starter preferable to the popadom, imho.

Does anyone know of a source for Bombay Duck.

Gouabafla
6th Dec 2004, 08:08
The best curry restaurant I know is the Kohinoor in Portswood Southampton. (Not too far from you aerospark). It hasn't got the fancy decor or the wide ranging menu of the big places in the city centre, but what they do cook is uniformly excellent. The staff are friendly and they have the nice habit of giving a free drink at the end of the meal.

Mrs Gouabafla and the little Gouabaflas all agree that this is the only place to celebrate a family birthday.

Table for four please...

phnuff
6th Dec 2004, 09:27
Ah yes, I remember those nights of too much beer and then a toilet bowl destroying curry. In fact, after my 18th (at which I totally failed to pull, probably because I was incoherant and an ugly git), I remember me and a couple of mates finding our way to the spectator car park at Luton Airport at about 1am to consume chicken fahl's that we had bought at Stopsley (which is about a mile and a half from the field). Geez, these days we would have been arrested and had a free holiday in Cuba!

These days, the favorite is the dhansak from a place called "Dine Bangla " in Baldock. They do it so well and chuck in lemon juice and a slice of lemeon on top. Come to think of it, I've never had anything bad from there at all.

La Mdm is away wednesday night - I guess phnufflet and I will be paying a visit !!

gingernut
6th Dec 2004, 09:59
try some of the spinachy veggie types.

Look pretty awful but taste out of this world.

Try a palak paneer as a side dish.................yum yum.

Eagle18th
6th Dec 2004, 11:33
Normally Chicken Vindaloo with a couple of pints of Kingfisher does it for me, though I wouldn't recommend it to beginners.
The best Indian meal I ever had was at Castletown on the Isle of Man - I had a Chicken Zahl, which my Korma-eating dining companion tried, and described as "Like eating lighted matches, in a gravy of hot lava". mmmmmm:E :E :E

under_exposed
6th Dec 2004, 11:42
AeroSpark, I also was late getting to curry (28) and now love the stuff.
If you like the medium stuff then I believe a phall is classed as medium :E :E
Couple of weeks ago I tried my first green Thai curry, superb

406pilot
6th Dec 2004, 12:47
wow yess yess one vindaloo curry for me please....need some yummy karai chicken with that too

no more 406pilot

timmcat
6th Dec 2004, 14:17
Another one here who has missed many years of potential curry eating. Was in my late thirties (6 or 7 years ago) that I had my first. Now I would have one 7 days a week if it was practical. Fantastic!.

My route home from work takes me through a residential area of Bradford mainly populated by asians (DX - you know where:ok: ). The aroma that drifts into my car every evening for around a mile is one to die for.

steamchicken
6th Dec 2004, 15:46
The Agra off Warren Street is one of the finest curry joints in London. Established 1953.

That is all.

AeroSpark
6th Dec 2004, 17:12
Wow, did'nt realise there was so many to choose from, will have to investigate further:ok:

As for the best restaurant I would have to say Kutis in Southampton, its the only one I've been to so I must be right:p

under_exposed - nice try but I am NOT falling for that!:D

cessna l plate
6th Dec 2004, 18:57
Cetainly for the officianodos of ruby, but my favourite is either
Kharai Lamb or Nehari,

As for Nehari, not to be found in the local "star of begal" place, but is an authentic mogul dish served on Sundays.
There are a couple of grotty little curry houses in the centre of Manchester that do it. I say grotty, the places aren't exactly up-market, but the scran is out of this world!!!!!!!!

Nehari is lamb or mutton cooked in spices for the best part of a week!!!!! and the meat just falls apart, with tons of flavour and an afterkick like a mule. Best eaten with a couple if chapatis and NO rice.

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!
For the best one, go to
"This & That"
Soap St
Manchester
(Near to Shude Hill)

Edited as thinking about a ruby means I cant spell[/SIZE]

BahrainLad
6th Dec 2004, 19:03
Camden Market on a Saturday......3 for a plate of curry.....mmmmmmmmm.....!

Titan Locked
6th Dec 2004, 19:18
And in the finest tradition of curry ordering (ie over-ordering) don't forget the starters - any of the 'meat' kebabs tops the list as far as I'm concerned. Never have been quite sure what you are eating though ....

Main course - Chicken Tikka Madras or Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi - no rice, garlic nan, bombay potato or sag aloo.

Dessert - finishing off the popadoms / nan bread!

Then there's the added bonus of suspiciously stained fingers the morning after - kebab red, mint yogurt yellow (obviously dependant on your tabel manners / beer intake!).

Just remember you can always eat a curry after a night on the beer but its a real struggle to quaff the beer after a full curry.

For a quality posh curry (but don't plan on a 3 plate full) try Verishwames (sp?) off Piccadilly or for a real treat (?) try the Curry Club in the Continental Hotel on the Strand. Buy your booze in the first floor bar (where the bar maid must be at least 85) and eat in the restaurant on the next floor up - almost like going back to the 1950's with its plastic table cloths etc but the food is excellent.

TL

B Fraser
6th Dec 2004, 20:10
It has to be Chutney Mary's in the Kings Road for me ! Not the cheapest curry house but certainly the best.

The Lina Tandoori in Pangbourne gets my vote as the best takeaway. Delicious !

I had a tindaloo once, talk about hot second time around...... I had a bum like a Japanese flag :oh: :{

Major Cong
7th Dec 2004, 00:28
I know how you feel, next time try putting the bog roll in the fridge the night before! By the way can anybody recommend a good curry house in YVR.:\

SyllogismCheck
7th Dec 2004, 01:24
Mmmmmmm, curry! I really couldn't choose my favourite, extremely partial to any variety and any potency.
The only one I've ever not enjoyed was home cooked by an ex girlfriend that I swear must of been served on plates made from developmental NASA heat shield material.
It was quite simply unbearably firey and I confess I was more than slightly embarrassed as I sat trying to look calm and collected whilst beginning go redder and redder and bead more sweat after each mouthful and was about to suggest perhaps she had made a miscalculation of ingredients when I noticed she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying hers and was wolfing it down without batting an eyelid.
Only misplaced 'male curry eating pride' made me continue till I'd eaten enough to appear polite then beat a hasty retreat to the kitchen on the pretence of fetching more wine but in reality to run my tongue under the tap. :{
I insisted we only ever ate out after.... ahh, the devious little....! :rolleyes:

To hone your curry knowledge check this (http://www.curryhouse.co.uk) out.

I know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow now. :)

BombayDuck
7th Dec 2004, 03:21
Tuba Mirum

Aaahhhh.... Aaloo Jeera (thats how it should be pronounced in Hindi, with a propah 'J').... thats a good one. Yum.

For Parathas.... choose either potatoes or paneer (cottage cheese) as a stuffing. Made preferably by a Punjabi - they make them purrrrrrfect.

if there is a restaurant that says "Malvani food", go there and have fried fish (pomfret, mackerel or kingfish), prawnsy (yellow) curry, and DO NOT forget to ask for Sol (as in Soul/Sol Campbell ;) ) Karhi which is a pink liquid that goes with rice.... or can be drunk straight out of the glass.

you wont want anything more....

:cool:

paulc
7th Dec 2004, 06:36
curry :yuk: - the only food that looks the same going in as it does coming out

BombayDuck
7th Dec 2004, 07:29
paulc

you say that like its a bad thing! :p

BlueEagle
7th Dec 2004, 08:08
Very adjacent to Gloucester Road tube station is an Indian called, I think, The Bombay Brasserie, a bit pricey but excellent. Very good buffet lunch, good menu for dinner too.

paulc
7th Dec 2004, 08:56
BombayDuck,

the only thing to do with a curry is flush it down the toilet - it cuts out the middle man and saves a lot of pain. :eek:

The SSK
7th Dec 2004, 09:24
for a real treat (?) try the Curry Club in the Continental Hotel on the Strand. Buy your booze in the first floor bar

Shouldn't that be The India Club?
And buy your booze at the off-licence on the corner - even cheaper!

Titan Locked
7th Dec 2004, 10:19
dj

Ooops! Guess there was more to the booze from the first floor than I thought!!!

Thanks for the correction!

TL

tall and tasty
7th Dec 2004, 10:24
Has anyone tried the:-

Cinnamon Club in Westminster Old Library?

I have heard it is mega expensive but the food out of this world.

If anyone can enlighten me I would like to know if it is worth it

Thanks

TnT

:ok:

Boy_From_Brazil
8th Dec 2004, 19:11
I am desperate for a good curry. Rio has a very bad Indian restaurant with awful unappetising dishes. I havent had a curry for over a year........

Help is on its way.....on 17 December I wil be watching "live" the Bath vs Harlequins rugby match. Can anyone recommend a good Indian restaurant in Bath that we can go to afterwards?

BFB