View Full Version : "X"mas

chiglet
4th Dec 2004, 21:26
Prolly done before... but just how the chuff does
"Christmas" translate to Xmas [not St Andrew]
watp,iktch

Rollingthunder
4th Dec 2004, 21:44
ETYMOLOGY: From X, the Greek letter chi, first letter of Greek Khrstos, Christ.

USAGE NOTE: Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of , “Christ.” In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, “Christian.” But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening pronounced (ksms). Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.

Thx for my Google practice today.

Off to "Xmas Zone"?

DubTrub
4th Dec 2004, 22:33
I suppose in the same way that
watp,iktch
translates into something attached to messages about keeping the cleaners happy.:O

BlueWolf
5th Dec 2004, 02:33
Equally compelling is the question of how a Mass for Christ managed to supplant the ancient European Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice which had been happily happening for millenia prior to it's hijacking by the new religion.

I know we don't do religion here; I'm just curious.

Cowbell
5th Dec 2004, 02:48
So what are we supposed to say? Khrstosmas?

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 06:59
Mr Wolf ,
You may find your answer here (http://www.religioustolerance.org/winter_solstice.htm)

My own theroy is that rather than tell the Pagans they had to stop celebrating Yule and start celebrating another festival called Christ Mass the early christians realised it was easier to convert an existing festival, and so it has proved.

BlueWolf
5th Dec 2004, 08:10
Good site Feets , and thank you. Curiously enough, Midwinter feasts are growing in popularity here every year.

:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Dec 2004, 18:26
Pretty much the same here, Bluey. Call the deal Midmas and use it as an excuse to pig out on the gammons and turkeys and hot puds we'd normally avoid in December with an outside temp of 35 deg C in the shade.

Well done to the Black Caps for their win over Oz by the way....:ok: