PDA

View Full Version : Oztraliana - the Question Thread...

Boss Raptor
4th Dec 2004, 18:21
Or my question anyway, hopefully the start of many to dispell all the myths about this great (well large) nation;

Question 1

My friend, who sometimes watches Neighbours :cool: has noted that when in the pub on said programme the Oztralians only drink beer from small half pint glasses...is this the norm as we are led to believe Oztralians are a tad more active on drinking than that and my friend would have thought that larger pint sized glasses (or bigger) would be order of the day...is this Neighbours sending out a moral message or is this reality?

Q2

My friend has also noticed that on Neighbours they also have giant bottles of orange in the fridge (fridgo/fridgey?)?

Q3

Oztralians and shorts, short trousers, is this widespread fashion statement?

Sailor Vee
4th Dec 2004, 18:55
1. the beer does not warm up so quickly if taken in smaller measures.:D

2. who cares if the juice warms up quickly, it only provides vitamin C.:uhoh:

3. As long as it's the wimmin, good on them!:ok:

DOME
4th Dec 2004, 20:07
Re Q1.

While smaller glass sizes are available, in this neck of the woods one either consumes "middies" - 10 fl oz = half pint; or "schooners" - 15 fl oz = 3/4 pint.

Re Q2.

The most readily available juice containers seem to be between 2 and 3 litres capacity.

Re Q3.

Depends - for 8 months of the year in this location, wearing shorts would be a danger to the ***** in terms of frostbite. That said I'm sitting at work in (longish) shorts and thongs - and thongs means something else down here!

sprocket
4th Dec 2004, 20:27
:eek: So who watches neighbours then?

Shorts are all year in this part of Oz.

(If you ever watched American Chopper, you might have noticed #2 son Mikey wearing bright coloured shorts outside in the snow. Now is that normal???:D :eek: )

compressor stall
4th Dec 2004, 21:12
Even us aussies who travel around our country a bit get confused as beer is served in different sized and named holders in different states. The following from memory so please correct.

Glass (250ml)
Pot (375ml)
Schooner (425ml)
Handle (about 300ml and is the small dimpled beer mug with the handle)
Middie
Half pint.

They are kept small so the beer does not get warm. :}

Jerricho
4th Dec 2004, 22:36
Many places do serve beer in pints.

"2 pots of Guiness thanks luv" just doesn't sound right

Tinstaafl
4th Dec 2004, 23:28
Different states have their own standard/common glass.

Qld uses a 'pot', NSW the 'middie' & 'schooner', Vic (I think) a 'pot' but not necessarily the same size as the Qld pot, etc etc.

Places that sell Guinness will have UK pint size glasses.

Elliot Moose
4th Dec 2004, 23:42
Just about every place I went in Melbourne gave me pots (somewhere between 12-15 oz but further research into the issue clouded my memory of exactly what size it actually was). The only place I remember being given a pint was an "Elephant and Wheelbarrow" on Bourke St. Of course that was supposed to be a strictly pommie joint anyways!

BlueDiamond
5th Dec 2004, 00:28
We wear shorts pretty much all year round here unless ...

1. We work in an office where more conservative gear is required

or

2. The temperature plummets to below 30 deg C.

:ok:

Pappa Smurf
5th Dec 2004, 00:32
Glasses-------Geez ,how uncivilized can you get.

Cant remember the last time i ordered a beer in a glass.

For me its a stubbie or can

Gareth Blackstock
5th Dec 2004, 00:43
I thought conniseurs drink their beer in half pint glasses, that way there is less of it to go cold.

Gaz

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 00:48
Got up this morning and pulled on a pair of shorts in the hope that the weather will improve. Tad chilly right now

YMML 050100Z 16005KT 9999 FEW040 BKN260 24/09 Q1017 RMK NOSIG

In Victoria Pots are the norm, 285 ml or 10 fld oz which in New South Wales is called a Middy for some unknown reason. Me thinks its just because they don't want to be seen to follow the Victorian lead. NSW also has the Schooner of 425 ml but they refuse to acknowledge the distinct increase in temperature of the beer before you down the last of it. Insensitive I call it. No taste. As for Queensland, they still can't spell BEER and call it XXXX instead. ;)

dude65
5th Dec 2004, 00:53
Now look here Boss Raptor

1. Neighbours is NOT a documentary series.

Fortunatly I've never watched one episode but I'm pretty sure it doesn't reflect life in Oz,well not in Queensland anyway. If you want to see what life is like in the sunshine state, you need to check out a fascinating series called Paradise Beach. Much higher production values than Neighbours.

2. Schooners at the pub. Stubbies/cans at home

3. Shorts? You're going to need shorts when it's 32c and 70% humidity.

Most Australians think that all poms are like that Windsor family you seem so fond of.

Buster Hyman
5th Dec 2004, 01:18
1. Neighbours is not Australia.
2. Neighbours is not Australia.
3. Short trousers, as you call them, is the norm. Without them, we'd get our "old fellas" burned in the sunshine!:ok:

BlueWolf
5th Dec 2004, 02:10
Buster , we have exactly the same situation here. That's why Kiwi shorts go to halfway twixt knee and ankle.
:)

allan907
5th Dec 2004, 04:40
In WA we also have a 'pony' - ice cold beer served in what appears to be a sherry glass. Two gulps and its gone (but the temperature hasn't changed a bit!)

The whole system of non-standard glass sizes down here makes any kind of bar auditing a nightmare and leaves the system open to huge abuse and fiddling.

In the UK it's quite simple: Pints or half pints, weigh the barrel and you can easily determine what has been sold and what is left.

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Dec 2004, 05:19
The small glasses are so they can tell the Pomgolians they had twenty seven beers last night and watch said Poms' jaws drop open and their eyes glaze over as they work it out.....:E

henry crun
5th Dec 2004, 06:00
I can confirm that beer in Oz is served very cold.
In fact, cold enough to mask any taste there might have been in it to begin with.

That might well be the reason why it is so served. :p

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 06:21
Mr Crun,

What you say maybe true but at least we apply the philosophy equally regardless of the source of the beer so Guinness, Stella and Victoria Bitter are all served stone cold. The only thing to do on warm day. I have a preference for a glass, served at room temperature after the bottle has been allowed to stand open for about an hour, but then I have never been a real beer drinker and have always preferred a good red.

sprocket
5th Dec 2004, 08:49
Crikey Feeton, up here I keep the reds chilled too. Nuthin worse than a vintage Jacobs Creek Cab Sav at 35degC. :ugh:

M.Mouse
5th Dec 2004, 09:31
With reference to beer being served so cold as to mask the taste I believe that one called 4 X is so called because the inventor couldn't spell piss.

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 11:10
Ah Mr Sprocket mate,

Nuthin worse than a vintage Jacobs Creek Cab Sav

I agree. I perfer to drink good red. However if I were in QLD I to would chill it.

Avtrician
5th Dec 2004, 11:45
In Marble Bar (Central Nth WA) the beer is served in a pony (5 Oz) otherwise it will evaporate before its able to be consumed. Average summer temp in the Pub is about 47C

Beer should be served at 3C (Room temp for Blighty).

Shorts and a T shirt are National dress, with thong ( a type of rubber sandal, not under/beach wear). For formal occasions one wears a collared T shirt and clean leather sandals. At temeratures below 28C, one may wear socks to keep out the cold.

Neighbours is not real, and Kylie whatsername cant act or sing.

:ok: :ok:

tobzalp
5th Dec 2004, 11:46
Here, I will give you a hint. England is good if you don't want to go anywhere or do anything.

tony draper
5th Dec 2004, 11:53
Ship mate of mine was arrested in Australia for taking a piss on the wall of of a Pub, he told the beak he was innocent of the crime and the only urine around was being served inside, cost him a exra fiver that witisism did.
:(

sprocket
5th Dec 2004, 18:59
Ah yes Drapes, the law in Wooloomooloo is very harsh on strangers to the town. :(

Tempsford
5th Dec 2004, 19:40
Oz is a great spot! Amongst my many, many other reasons to go back, (I would have stayed if Compass 1 hadn't gone...) it has places where you drive in, pop open the boot and some kind person puts the cold beer in the boot then takes yer money without you even getting out of the car is alright with me.
Ahhhh those nights a Brekky Creek! I have just looked out of my window at a miserable winters evening in the UK and had a reality check! One day......
Tobz, there is a fair bit to do in the UK. Probably more per square mile than some other larger 'islands' south of the equator.
Temps

tony draper
5th Dec 2004, 19:53
Bollix to that! one has it on good authority that large hairy spiders, snakes and such dwell there in great number.
:uhoh:

Jerricho
5th Dec 2004, 20:00
Like a true Geordie, they're only dangerous if you piss them off!

Tempsford
5th Dec 2004, 20:13
Drapes,
I have it on good authority that you are correct. Snakes, spiders etc like Oz as well. I spent 6 months in Oz, and would not hesitate in spending a great deal longer there if I ever got the chance. Most of the time you will find the 'bities' where you shouldn't be (not always the case, I realise that).The most interesting species are in fact the 'lesser spotted pommie baiters'. One finds if you give as good as you get they tend to lose interest and pick on more unsuspecting poms. As I said, spent six months there. Compass were looking at employing us, but we had to go back to the UK, resign from our company, apply to go to Oz, get to Oz and then apply to Compass with no guarantee of getting a job. Bit of a gamble that one and as it was Compass 1 went bust 6 months after we returned to the UK.

Temps.

tony draper
5th Dec 2004, 21:27
Small wonder those poor buggas just about live on the beach, the water is awash with large pale sharks, further inland the place positively swarms with snakes and insects, the rivers crawl wih Crocodiles, even the conveniences have hairy multi legged lurkers more than willing to bite a passing arse, and sissy sized glasses are the least of their worries all the pubs used to shut at 6pm.
:(

Tempsford
5th Dec 2004, 21:31
Thats a lot of bait you are using there Drapes. What size hook are you using and what are you hoping to catch?
Temps

Capt Claret
5th Dec 2004, 22:53
Drapes

'Tis more than 30 years since the six o'clock swill, when pubs did have to close at 1800.

Nowadays 1000 to 2200 or perhaps 2400 or even 0400 is more the norm. :E

tony draper
5th Dec 2004, 23:15
Tiz more than forty years gone since Drapes wandered the dusty red byways of Oz,one was engaged in the trade of taking scrap from Oz to Japan, and bringing bird shite thither on ones return,
Incidently when the pubs were open, they had proper pint glasses then, proper money as well come to think, good honest pounds shillings and pences.
Apart from the venomous insects, serpents,man eating fishes and reptiles twas a fine place then.
:rolleyes:

tinpis
5th Dec 2004, 23:32
Tis still a fine place drapes as you poms will see when Kath and Kim hits yer small screens

:hmm:

Buster Hyman
6th Dec 2004, 01:00
I think the polymer notes would cause Mr. draper a small coronary!:uhoh:

Avtrician
6th Dec 2004, 06:27
Plastic notes were invented so that one could go to the beach, swim, surf, scuba dive and go straight to the pub dripping wet with money that hasnt turned to mush. The shorts we wear have zipped pockets (yes, we have dicovered zips) and can be worn in the water.:ok: :ok: :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
6th Dec 2004, 07:09
A Teacher of British citizenship was giving my Ozzie 16 year old daughter some stick the other day...she and one other being the only Ozzies in the class...along the lines, believe it or not, of "I
wheely do like Orstralia...it's just you Orstralians I cannot stand!":uhoh:

But my girl did her father proud..."You Poms really can't get over turning the wrong Island into a Prison can you?"

Chuckles:ok:

tony draper
6th Dec 2004, 07:22
Nah, don't think New Zealand would have held you all Mr Chuckles.
:rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
6th Dec 2004, 07:33
Mr Draper has sucessfully reminded me of all the things I love about OZ. Thank you Tony :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
6th Dec 2004, 07:36
hahaha...guess again...I was a bit taken a back buy her quick return...but if a teacher is so silly, and Chelsea is convinced he was not joking, then they deserve all they get.

Face it...you shipped the Convicts to somewhere warm with unlimited sunshine...silly beggers!!

BTW have spent some considerable time in the old country this year...even enjoyed some Pommy beer...Spitfire at White Waltham Aero Club...wasn't bad at all...nor as warm as I expected...guess it's pretty bloody cold down where the beer kegs sit...but took great delight in ordering a XXXX stubby at a pub in London...to the horror of my Kiwi and British companions...I am after all the Queenslander to my core...even if Dad was/is a pom...and on the otherside...yes convict if ya go back far enough!:ok: :E

Mr Chuckles...what's that Drapes?...ya never used to call me Mr Mountain Man ;)

Funnel Webs and Red Backs foreground, sharks in the distance (http://www.fototime.com/{D67847EF-98DD-4F47-B2D8-76A2F8EF18B8}/picture.JPG)

Not WLAC but the XXXX is really COLD (http://www.fototime.com/{D3CB7534-2F31-43E9-88A5-A4FA11106152}/picture.JPG)

For those, like me, far from God's Country (QLD) some winter sunshine:ok:

Mr Chuckles:suspect:

Jerricho
6th Dec 2004, 14:30
when Kath and Kim hits yer small screens

It has actually made it to Canada. I wondfer what the locals here think of it.

"Look at me......Kimmy. loooook at me....."

Rollingthunder
6th Dec 2004, 14:32
Makes me cringe, but then so did The Office.

Jerricho
6th Dec 2004, 14:34
Tis not the best thing they have done, but unfortunately, I do know quite a few people who reside in those quaint southern states that act and sound just like that.

Charlie Foxtrot India
6th Dec 2004, 14:55
Well if we have Kath and Kim, the Canuks have Terence and Philip!!

Kim: "there are so many toipes of woife; house, trophy, fish...."

noice

Jerricho
6th Dec 2004, 15:02
"Kath and Kim" aren't even in the same league as "Terrance and Philip".

Philip: "Oh, hello Ugly Bob."
Ugly Bob: "Hello Terrance, hello Phillip."
Terrance: "My God, you're looking hideously ugly today Ugly Bob."
Ugly Bob: "How come you guys say stuff like that?"
Terrance: "Because you're goddamn ugly Bob."
Ugly Bob: "I know, but........"
Philip: "Ugly Bob, your face looks like somebody tried to put out a forest fire with a screwdriver."
Ugly Bob: "I can't help how I look. Besides, it's not what's on the outside that matters, it's what's on the inside."
Terrance: "No it isn't."

See, now you've started it!

Rollingthunder
6th Dec 2004, 15:04
Ah for the old days....

We sent you The Forest Rangers.

You sent us Skippy the Kangaroo.

1DC
6th Dec 2004, 15:11
Well I will fortunately be getting a pint or three in Oz by the weekend, and a schooner and a pony and a middy and a pot (whatever is available) plus a few James Boags, and if you see a pair of shorts with some white hairy legs sticking out of them it will most likely be a Pom on holiday....

allan907
6th Dec 2004, 15:55
1DC If you REALLY want to look like a Pom on holiday then you ought to be wearing dark coloured socks with your sandals!

Jerricho
6th Dec 2004, 16:12
And one of them mesh singlet/vest thingies. Off white of course.

1DC
6th Dec 2004, 17:03
Wot sandals?, I've just been educated to go bare foot on another thread, and I thought the Ozzies wore all the vests!!

Boss Raptor
6th Dec 2004, 17:15
Let us not forget such classic (I mean it) series as The Sullivans - watched that every school holiday for about 7 years I think

What ever happened to Paul Hogan (my Oz relatives said he was a miserable git in reality)?

Atlas Shrugged
6th Dec 2004, 21:26
What about other such classics as Prisoner, Skyways, Cop Shop, Number 96, Division 4, Chances and who can forget The Box!

A

Feeton Terrafirma
7th Dec 2004, 00:13
None of those TV shows have anything to do with real life in Oz.

Anyway, I'm of to the backyard now to move the mob of roo's to the other corner and see if there's any freshly exposed nuggets on the ground.

henry crun
7th Dec 2004, 03:09
Come off it Feets, we know they are documentaries. :D

sprocket
7th Dec 2004, 03:27
They're not documentaries. If you want to learn how to handle yourself in the Orstralian Outback, a must see is Russell Coights' Aussie Adventures. True blue and fair dinkum. :ooh:

http://www.bigcoight.com/images/gallery/rc_gallery_03.jpg

Gallery (http://www.bigcoight.com/photogallery.htm)

dude65
7th Dec 2004, 03:47
Boss Raptor
You've moved from "Neighbours" to "The Sullivans"

Mate
You really need to get out more

Boss Raptor
8th Dec 2004, 07:34
Am I the only one (with my friend...) to be interested in all things Oz?!

So what is a Lamington...again mentioned a lot in Oz soaps?

Why is anything outside Oz 'Overseas'...makes it sound far far away and rather quaint as does travelling or calling 'Interstate?

Deaf
8th Dec 2004, 09:02
Boss Raptor

"Why is anything outside Oz 'Overseas'...makes it sound far far away and rather quaint as does travelling or calling 'Interstate?"

A quick look at the globe should show you the distances involved in overseas (actually intercontinental) or even interstate and compare these with Europe.

Binoculars
8th Dec 2004, 09:55
Ahh the trusty lamington (http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/food/lamington.php)

A subject close to my heart.

While on that page, see also Pavlova and Anzac Biscuits. The last named are the only one of the three named items that go well with beer.

enicalyth
8th Dec 2004, 17:40
1 darwin stubbie equals??

Bern Oulli
8th Dec 2004, 17:43
Boss R you are not the only one. I love the place even though I've only been the once. It, the people, the wild life that upsets Drapes, even the beer. Check out a few photos. (http://pedroproductions.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/)

tony draper
8th Dec 2004, 17:56
Nice bridge Mr Oulli, did you know it was constructed here then shipped and erected there, there was some discusion of a chain suspension bridge,rather than a copy of the Tyne Bridge, that would have saved a lot of shipping space, apparently they already had loads of chains out there.
:E

Jerricho
8th Dec 2004, 18:45
Drinking for the uninitiated (http://www.itchy-feet.com.au/shout.html)

Good old Darwin Stubbies...................

http://www.painetworks.com/photos/fh/fh2800.JPG

CoodaShooda
8th Dec 2004, 23:41
IIRC the good old Darwin Stubbie was closer to 2 litres than the 1.25 litres quoted on that link.

(unfortunately a sad case of quantity rather than quality when it came to the taste.):(

Bre901
9th Dec 2004, 08:02
wildlife (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4073359.stm), that is :E

Deaf
9th Dec 2004, 09:29
Suppose evolution will eventually work on the characters who lick/smoke the skin.

sprocket
9th Dec 2004, 09:30
Bre901: What the report has failed to include, is the Qeensland drivers have had to adapt to the Toad invasion as well.
If you see a car weaving from one side of the road to t'other after some rain, it is because the driver cannot let himself miss one toad with the tyres. The popping sound they make is very addictive, much the same as bubble wrap poppers addiction.

redsnail
10th Dec 2004, 16:34
Mum sent us some cultural DVD's for Xmas. Russell Coight's Outback Adventure and The Castle.
Absolutely brilliant.
I saw some Kath n Kim on the QF flight back to sunny London. Very funny. :D

Buster Hyman
10th Dec 2004, 21:34
Ahh, there's nothing quite like a serene billabong & Russell Coight emerging from the water...in his thong!!!:ugh:

tobzalp
10th Dec 2004, 23:25
Being an Oz thread, I must point out that thongs are worn on feet.

sprocket
11th Dec 2004, 00:01
Maybe his thong floated off his foot when he went into the water and then hooked up on some other appendage as he left the water.

Spodman
11th Dec 2004, 07:53
And getting back to the subject of drinking, a mate of mine wandered into the local the other day wearing one thong (on his foot, that is). "Didja lose a thong mate?" I asked.

"Na, found one," he replied, before downing the first pony/schooner/middy/pot/handle/tinny/stubbie/slop bucket...

Tinstaafl
11th Dec 2004, 18:14
Lost a shoe at the Birdsville races once. Someone trod on the heel & the shoe slipped off. Never found it again. Fortunately I found a broken thong someone had lost/discarded. Fixed it with some bailing twine I found & I had footware for both feet again. Even better, later that evening I found the thong's mate so I could be posh & have matching footware again.

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Dec 2004, 19:24
Footwear?

(Cue Milligan accent...) - So riiiiich!! :ok:

Jerricho
12th Dec 2004, 16:25
Must also be pointed out that anybody who lost a shoe/thong/footwear and sought to find another (yes, even out at Birdsville) is in danger of being called a "big girlie man". Real men would go bare foot.

Buster Hyman
12th Dec 2004, 22:17
To true tobzalp, but it is an international forum where the "uneducated" would find it easier to understand thong rather than G-string!:ok: Whatever you call it, the device was up Coight's, err..coight!:O