FATALITIES:_
PAX: 0
CREW: 0
OTHER: 0
INJURIES:_
PAX: _0
CREW: 0
OTHER: 0
DAMAGE TO AIRCRAFT:_damaged beyond repair(?)
Very shortly after take off from Opa Locka Airport, the aircraft experienced engine trouble and the pilots were forced to land in a nearby lake. The CV-340 remained afloat so both pilots were able to escape.
NOTE: The aircraft was wearing the billboard titles "Reelect George W. Bush" and was used for refugee flights out of Cuba.
http://www.jacdec.de/2004-12-04_CV340_into%20lake.jpg

CleanSpeed
4th Dec 2004, 18:58
That'll teach them to support dubya

MarkD
4th Dec 2004, 20:48
readywhen

Don't tease us :)

Sleeping Freight Dog
4th Dec 2004, 21:16
According to the local news reports the plane was
carrying a load of cargo to the Bahamas. Refugees from
Cuba might make for a better story, but this was a
freighter, not a pax aircraft.

Avman
4th Dec 2004, 21:29
Always sad to see one of these oldies go down. Good to know that the crew got out OK.

RiverCity
4th Dec 2004, 21:53
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/04/plane.crash.ap/index.html[/URL]

Rollingthunder
4th Dec 2004, 22:00
Floats pretty good it does. Reminds me of that Volkswagen in Castle Keep.

HiSpeedTape
4th Dec 2004, 23:49
They forgot to put any fuel on ;)

Ignition Override
5th Dec 2004, 00:45
HiSpeedTape. Were the fuel gauges fairly accurate when the crew did the preflight (assuming that your info is accurate/true)?

Did the pilot's employer often cheat on the MEL requirements and logbooks, as so many operators do, or comply?:suspect:

Guys who worked at certain freight airlines tell us about operations which were only allowed to operate because pilots were always concerned about losing their jobs and had to be in collusion with their boss, and had to ignore major FARs. Do the British call these Air Nav orders? Anyway, there allegedly would be little help from our "friends" at the FAA., especially at the lower-profile cargo airlines:(

pigboat
5th Dec 2004, 01:41
If Teddy Kennedy's car had floated like Bush's airplane, he'd a been President. :E

AntiCrash
5th Dec 2004, 15:38
Miami's Channel 4 must have called it a DC-3 200 times. The secratary from the company called in and answered stupid questions for 10 min or so, corrected the reporter that is was in fact a CV340 and the reporter went on and on. A reporter on scene comes on and the desk Git asks Git II did you remember the DC-3 that landed in the ocean off Golden Beach? Then runs the video of the CV-580 from Trans Air Link. The Mind Boggles!

Any semblance between the news presented on the television and the truth is only coincidentel.

Glad to see the crew made it out unscathed!

Grandpa
5th Dec 2004, 16:18
...Bush couldn't be reelected again!

Nani
5th Dec 2004, 16:35
...Bush couldn't be reelected again!

Dunno about that Grandpa..lefties here are still running around with "selected not elected" BS.
So,according to our constituition..we may just take the lefties word for it and BINGO!
Bush/Cheney 2008..:ok:

Huck
5th Dec 2004, 17:12
Pigboat-

recently a group of MIT engineering students calculated the speed at which Teddy left that bridge with Mary Jo Kopechne.

420 mph. That's the speed it would take to knock her panties into the glove compartment....

Grandpa
5th Dec 2004, 19:55
If we take your word for it.....

Dubya is not elected in 2004.....

You should take care with the lefties, I even wonder why you listen to them: it hurts you and you know it, you tell funny things after.

Please return to Fox so you can put our mind at rest about you

Boney
5th Dec 2004, 21:34
Obviously, they got got Bush himself to work out out the spelling for them.

Recently got an email with 1 column showing results of a National IQ test compared to the percentage of votes for Bush.

No surprises there - generally, the lower the IQ, the higher the percentage that voted for that moron.

pigboat
5th Dec 2004, 21:45
IQ tests are designed to measure intelligence, not wisdom.

411A
6th Dec 2004, 06:45
These old Convairs are built like the proverbial BSH.

Tough.

I can well remember UAL landing one in a carrot patch, just north of the San Fernando valley in California many years ago...gear down.
It was flown out days later, after an inspection...and of course, the good 'ole Captain was trying to transfer fuel from one tank to another enroute....strictly against the AFM.

But hey, I guess he knew more than the Convair folks in SanDiego....NOT.

Follow the friggin' book....for best results.

con-pilot
6th Dec 2004, 15:41
Too true 411A, but if you remember the ground school was two weeks long just for the engines, because of the props, on the 580.

I remember the UAL 'unpaved runway' landing. The captain was delclared a hero, then we found out he ran the blasted thing out of fuel.

Oh well, a hero one day, a bum the next.;)

pigboat
6th Dec 2004, 19:43
Back when we still had a military, some brasshat flamed out both engines on the Clunk and went through a barn on the ensuing forced landing. There was still a couple hundred gallons of fuel in the tip tanks that he didn't know how to get at. :ooh:

Nani
7th Dec 2004, 03:28
Please return to Fox so you can put our mind at rest about you

Now,now Grandpa. Haven't you heard of "one should not bite the hand that feeds"?
News Corp. continues to be rather kind to my bank account. ;)

May I be bold enough to recommend Christian Science Monitor as a daily must read for you? Another good source for daily editorials would be RealClearPolitics.

con-pilot
7th Dec 2004, 05:07
Trust it to Grandpa to make an aircraft accident into an anti-Bush, anti-American thread.

Poor guy, he really needs to get a life.

Cheers old buddy!

Dang glad the crew got out OK.

PaperTiger
7th Dec 2004, 18:05
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 161FL Make/Model: CVLT Description: CV-540/580/600/640 (VC-131H)
Date: 12/04/2004 Time: 2041

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
PILOT UPON LANDING NOTICED THAT THE LEFT ENGINE WAS SHUTDOWN. ACFT BEGAN TO DRIFT TO THE RIGHT OF THE RWY. ACFT LEFT THE RWY AND CONTINUED THROUGH A FIELD COMING TO REST AGAINST A HILL.
MCALLEN INTERNATIONAL ARPT., MC ALLEN,
TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 3 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: KMFE 042053Z 290/03KT 5SM BR 0VC 15/14 A3002

Capt: I say Brian, I've just noticed the left engine is shutdown.
Brian: zzzzzzzz

punkalouver
7th Dec 2004, 23:25
"...but if you remember the ground school was two weeks long just for the engines, because of the props, on the 580."

Hmmm. Two weeks for just the engines and props is a lot. I hear there is a lot to know about them though.

411A
8th Dec 2004, 06:33
Hmmm, two weeks, well yes, expect it was.

OTOH, I do remember two weeks minimum on the engines/Curtis Electric props on the Constellation.

Head spinning time...for sure.