PDA

View Full Version : Broadband fast dowloads but SLOW browsing ??

HughMartin
4th Dec 2004, 13:22
Help please!!

Recently I have started suffering very slow web browsing. It can take ages to get a web page to appear (various sites which previously have been quite fast). I am not aware of doing anything which could cause this. I have run a couple of diagnostic programmes and they both say my download speed is fine. If I try and save a large file, a video clip for instance, it comes rattling in at great speed. It is only the web browsing which is the problem.

I have a pc wired to a modem/router and a laptop wirelessly connected to the modem/router. Both machines are showing the same symptoms. I have tried replacing the modem/router with a normal modem and things didn't improve. I am running on XP and IE. I have also tried using Mozilla Firefox browser and no improvement.

Has anyone got any suggestions please??

amanoffewwords
4th Dec 2004, 13:52
Sounds like a browser hijack.

Have you tried running adaware and an online virus check as suggested in the FAQ at the top?

Would also run hijack-this as described in said FAQ and post results for Liam's expert eye (they give me a headache!).

HughMartin
4th Dec 2004, 14:22
I have already virus checked and "Spybot"ed and found nothing. Will try Adaware now.

45 minutes later...............

ITS DONE THE JOB !!! Back up to normal speed. Thanks v much for your suggestion. I had already tried Spybot but I will give up on that one from now on.

Will now go and post a thank you on E-Liam's thread.

Thanks also to Richard for his suggestion below.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Dec 2004, 15:19
HughMartin,

Even if nothing comes up with Ad-Aware, you should still run HJT! and post the log here for us to look at. When you go to post the log, make sure you up a check mark in Disable Smilies in This Post.

Take Care,

Richard

Toxteth O'Grady
4th Dec 2004, 23:08
I had already tried Spybot but I will give up on that one from now on.

That's the nature of the beast with spyware. Sometimes AA will pick up things that SB S&D misses and vice versa.

I run AA, SB S&D, Prevx and Ewido.

Very interesting article comparing 20 different anti-spyware products here. (http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm)