PDA

View Full Version : CPL - 180 hours...what jobs can i do???

Bruno Silva
3rd Dec 2004, 23:25
After getting a CPL and finish it with 180 hours what can a person expect?

Is it only Flight Instruction or there is more????

Mr Magoo
4th Dec 2004, 17:09
With those fantastic qualifications you'll have a choice of jobs pal - just take your pick from Mc Donalds Burger King OR KFC. You'll have to pay for your own deep fat frier type rating but will have four gold stars up in no time at all ;)

Bruno Silva
4th Dec 2004, 18:33
Eheheh...no arm in asking, PAL!!!!!:}

Anyway, there´s another one you forget!
Air publicity, I think it is a "BIT" better than your choices!!

Cheers!!!

Olof
4th Dec 2004, 22:43
Magoo has a point...even with CPL/ME/IR/ATP-thoery you're still destined to work at McDonalds unless you've got some good connections or a fat bank account (buy type rating). Sorry mate, CPL with 180h won't get you any far...You could alwats fly parachuters but even that is hard if don't got the connections...

Astra driver
4th Dec 2004, 23:20
You have a few options, although flight instruction is your best bet. That route worked out OK for me and I feel it made me a better pilot in the process; there is no better way to fully understand any subject than to have to teach it to another.

Other options might be;

Skydiving operation.
Pipeline or powerline patrol
Traffic reporting (I expect these jobs mainly exist in the US)
Sightseeing Tours

Gazeem
5th Dec 2004, 08:39
If I remember rightly you cannot get a CPL issued until you have 200 hours although you can complete the course and skill test with under that amount.

This is assuming (UK)JAR modular rules.

I believe you can get an integrated CPL with less than 200 hours but that comes bundled with an IR.

Bruno Silva
5th Dec 2004, 14:08
Well I´m not thinking to make my licenses in Europe!
I don´t have enough money to do them here, I´m thinking in Brazil!
I hope they let me work there as a Flight Instructor after I complete the training!!!
Some say they will other say they won´t!!!

Anyway, thank you all for your opinions!!!:ok:

buster172
5th Dec 2004, 23:53
Mr Magoo!

It’s late, and I am reading 'Erection Errors' of the AH, gyro nonsense with the grand idea of being an airline pilot one day, are you telling me it’s all in vain?

I hope not, I think you should be giving this guy a pick up not a put down, albeit a PPrune wannabe 'themed' oh so comical one.

There seems to be an increasing amount of negative posts on here (I’m going off on one now) about how were all bloody doomed unless we fork out another 20000 grand on a TR or we wont get anywhere. Or some poor sod will ask for some help and everyone will jump in and start telling them they haven’t got a chance, its starting to p**s me off!

Bruno Silva,

I don’t have a clue what it’s like in Brazil mate, but I do know that the guys I speak to and that give me advice, the ones who were in our shoes not so long ago and who are now working in the airlines are saying go for it! Not to listen to all the negative things people say and to take PPrune (and with that myself) with a big lump of salt.

Your half way there now, a job in operations or a ground based position for an airline or GA company is a sure fire way to meet the people who make decisions. I have a good friend who did that and where did it get him? On an airline sponsorship scheme that’s where. He worked bloody hard and was good at what he did, he placed himself in the right spot and when the opportunity arose he took it. He’s not the only one.

As Astra Driver said there are still other options but a FI ticket seems to be a good way of building the hours and getting to know people.

I don’t know of any other 'professional' occupations that allow you to finish your training and just jump into the top job. But this is one, if you go out there and make the connections. It is unfortunate this costs so much to get going in, but we all knew that when we started right?

How’s about some more camaraderie when some one asks a question, I bet there’s loads of people out there who would like to tap into the wealth of knowledge on here but don’t want to be shot down!

I hereby stand by my waffle and in time honored tradition on the wannabe’s forum prepare to be shot down in flames

:}

Bruno,

Good luck!

:ok:

RVR800
6th Dec 2004, 13:22
GAPAN are proposing to do away with the need for a CPL for prospective FIs - If they do away with that requirement they might as well do way with the CPL exams in my view leave just the PPL and ATPL exams

Only a few people do the IR and CPL exams anyway - how few we dont know because there is currently no freedom of information for wanabees in SRG statistical data

Bruno Silva
6th Dec 2004, 20:34
:ok: buster!!

Thanks all, I think I got the Idea!!
I don´t know if I will ever turn my dream into reality but...
If I with TONS of luck (and I must say luck because money won´t help me) get there, I will give all my help to the next person who gets stuck in this bloody dream, cause I know how hard it is to be a Wannabe!!!

See ya!!

flighttime2.0
7th Dec 2004, 12:37
hi bruno silva

Im witn buster172 on this one !
Im in your position have 210 hrs with cpl bla de bla .. In the last couple of weeks instead of just reading negative posts on pprune ive went out of my way to talk to actuall pilots ! not wannabes but the guy's who are on the line and see it all from the true picture and I have been reinsured by most that I have spoke to that the jobs are there now and you don't need those thousands of hours either .
I have learned from the advise of guys alot more experiened than me not to read too mush into what you see on pprune because alot of it is false information ..flighttime2.0

Bruno Silva
9th Dec 2004, 11:40
Hey flighttime!!!!

Thanks!!!!

But I must say I don´t have a CPL or 180 h!
I want to get there so I asked about it!
I´m still fighting to start my training, I have 0 hours now!!

Anyway thanks a lot, your post gives motivation!!!!

Cheers mate!!!