PDA

View Full Version : BIRMINGHAM

Pages : [1] 2

BHXviscount
3rd Dec 2004, 20:09
As there isn't a BHX happenings I'd thought I would start one.
To get the ball rolling lets clear up the runway length issue from other threads. I have been lead to believe by others not on this forum(or maybe) that

1- AA offloaded cargo on ORD flights on more than 1 occassion due to weight restrictions(summer only and as W-N-C pointed out HOT days)- pax not sure on that one

2-PIA had doubts over 777 BHX-Pakistan due to weight restrictions, that being fully loaded pax freight and fuel to Pakistan

comments...............

and of course any more news anyone?

BHXviscount

crewmeal
3rd Dec 2004, 21:15
The press said that there would be a strike during Christmas week over pensions etc. I am due to fly on PIA at that time - wonder how that will affect me and many other travellers!!!

If it does - then I wonder how many carriers would think about operating out of good old BHX in the future!!!

Hand Solo
3rd Dec 2004, 23:42
Didn't AA pull their flights to BHX about 3 years ago? What relevance does this thread have to anything?

emiratesdxb
4th Dec 2004, 07:36
AA stopped flying to Chicago October 2002.

runway14141414
4th Dec 2004, 07:46
Surely there has never been a better time for BHX to announce a major expansion with the government white paper backing it other airports are steadily evolving but millenium link, a few check in desks and some cosmetic work aside there has been little happening at BHX since the Eurohub opened. The limited runway length will affect any potential long haul carriers. AA was one of Birminghams flagship airlines and runwaqy length or not it was a big blow to lose them. It is obvious with
MAN's ever expanding network that long haul flights can work outside London but unless the management at BHX act soon once again BHX will be playing catch up.

Daza
4th Dec 2004, 17:04
My brother worked for both AA and AA on the ground for the entire period of their operation with servisair and BA he was both passanger services supervisor and then a dispatcher after speaking to him he CANNOT remember any occasion when weight restrictions caused all or any of the a foremetioned things happening. AA AND THE AIRPORT HAD SOME SORT OF FALLING OUT MY BRO DOES NOT KNOW THE EXACT DETAILS BUT SUDDENLY WITH RELATIVLY GOOD YEILDS THE SERVICE WAS WITHDRAWN??!!I feel that BHX is trying its best it has a good mix of flag carriers and low fares airlines. Next year will be much better for BHX in my oppinion it is MyTravelLite that have cut their ops that have caused most of the monthly falls as they like their parent are struggling!! Also my brother has hinted at BA are expanding into Italy next summer so far relativley untapped from BHX. Also AZ are well exceeding their loads and are looking at utilising 319s 2x daily in the summer.
Lets stay positive Daza:D :D :D

I asked this in a seperate part of the forum and the Maanchester lot highjacked it
CO UK Services
CO are commencing BRS, BFS, HAM, ARN, and TXL all with 757s if EDI, GLA and BHX (with its 2x daily services) where are all these transatlantic config 757s coming from? Does anyone have any ideas how many EROPS 757s CO have?? Will we get 767s??
Daza

TXL, BUD, OSL, TRN an increses in DUB services the passenger numbers are there. Also what about BLQ,VCE, NAP,VRO, LIS, SVQ, OPO, ATH, SKG, JFK, ATL,PHL, MIA,MCO,BGI,IAD,BOS, YYZ and defiantely ORD and maybe due to car links DTW
What do you guys think??
Daza

Frankfurt_Cowboy
4th Dec 2004, 17:26
I think you've been sniffing glue.

Daza
4th Dec 2004, 17:32
What sort of an adult reply is that????
Are you one of the many people on this forum who live from Manchester northwards??
If you have no news dont waste our time with your inane oppinions
Daza

Bradford it is then!!

Anyway back to BHX just so that everyone understands the routes i mentioned are POTENTIAL ones!!!
DAza

Frankfurt_Cowboy
4th Dec 2004, 17:40
Sorry, next time I'll just type a random list of places that I'd like to be able to fly to from my local airport.

Daza
4th Dec 2004, 17:44
Do u have any interest in this topic??
Do you have any interest in Birmingham Airport?
I have reported your previous comments to the moderator. If as I suspect your interests lie with northern UK Airports there are loads of opportunities to voice your oppinions on them!!
Daza

The above comments always come up when BHX is mentioned or lies about the airport, runway, lack of services etc. This is why BHX related comments soon fall off the first page so lets try to keep this one about BHX eh!!
Daza

sisyphus1965
4th Dec 2004, 18:02
It has always been a mystery to me why BHX cannot support more than two daily transatlantic flights. There should be enough willing travellers in the West Midlands - the population is large enough.

I would have expected the two daily CO flights to be achieving near full loads this summer - all the other regional transatlantic flights were full over the summer. BHX flights seemed to peak at around 80%.

Is it as simple as being too close to LHR?

Daza
4th Dec 2004, 18:06
Being so close could be an advantage due to overcrowding at LHR hence the 2x daily CO for better connections rather than pure capacity. I lve in Lichfield and its possible to commute to London so Londoners could potentially utilise BHX services.
Daza

crewmeal
4th Dec 2004, 18:13
One of the problems with poor old BHX is that there is not much consistancy on any of the long haul routes.

Take BOAC back in 1970 with their slogan 'Brum Brum Brum to New York' with the SVC.10 That didn't last long and disappeared around 1974 then along comes the BA 767 operation in the 90's and that didn't last. Oh yes what happened to the Tajik flight that used to go direct to JFK two years ago?

We also saw all the hype about Flyblu to Florida this year with all the promises of a professional carrier, and that came to nothing.

Now we have 'odd' carriers trying for India etc. Last year it was flyjet doing the Delhi run via Gatwaick, this year we think it's 'Midland Airways' with an old TWA 767, oh yes plus one or two other Central Asian carriers flying to India via an Eastern European point.

The only carrier to have proven success at the moment is Emirates. They plan to expand next year so much so that Gulf Air are jumping on the bandwagon, will they last the course? Who knows

Then there was PIA who used to come into BHX with a 743. What happened to that it had to be routed via CPH because of the runway length. Then they tried the services with an A310 which seemed to work and BHX became a nice little hub for them - until they bought the B772 into operation and what happened? it all got transferred to MAN!! Now all BHX is left with is a couple of flights a week to ISB and one to PEW & LHE.

What does 2005 hold in store for long haul operators???

Daza
4th Dec 2004, 18:19
BA had no real interest in BHX-JFK the 757 killed that one as it coulnt carry any freight (the 767 could) did you ever travel on it?? must have been BAs oldest 757!! As for Tajik I thought that the Airline was grounded by Tajik authorities due to safety some years back.. I will never understand why Air India dont fly to BHX??
They would make a LOAD!!
Daza

chiglet
4th Dec 2004, 18:29
Daza,
I started my ATC career at Brum in 1969. The "management" said then, that they were looking for a runway extension. what happened? They "promised" a larger apron. What happened?... East Mids extended both r/y and apron....nuff said
The [then] Airport director at Manch [Gordon Sweetapple] dragged Manch into the International league, Gill Thompson carried on where GS left off.
Example 1...Extend runway 2. More stands 3. Promote the Airport
Brum has got the NEC...whoopie do, 'cos it isn't being "pushed"
We also said that Brum was a potential "London Airport" instead of Maplin..
watp,iktch

crewmeal
4th Dec 2004, 18:37
Air India at one stage used to operate a 707 flight via Moscow many moons ago. That died a death as well

I also remember when British Midland used to operate Kingston flights using 707's as well. I also recall the story that they used so much runway that on one occassion they 'took the lights' with them to Jamaica.

Having chatted to many long haul pilots over the years- they all say without doubt BHX needs a longer runway for performance. BHX is a great place to divert to, but not to operate out of!!

runway14141414
4th Dec 2004, 18:38
Maybe the reason AI haven't started yet is because of the 777 Emirates seem to have been successful with it but DXB is not really that far for long haul but can't see how AI wouldn't be successful. A new airline flying west is definately needed hopefully AA will return in the not to distant future but 2 would be nice. Also the BHX marketing department should be questioned as BHX is ideally placed for long haul passengers from the M5 corridor and Wales who want to avoid the M25.

gayrugbybloke
4th Dec 2004, 19:24
BHX is just too close to LHR and LGW, that's the sad fact. Long haul operators are not going to start a spearate service from BHX when BHX#s and LHR's catchment overlap so - i.e. Oxfordshire/Warwickshire borders, Morthants and Gloucestershire.

MAN is considered better for long hauls like CX, AI, EK, RB, DL, AA, MH and SQ because Manchester ahs a far wider catchm,ent area i.e. northern England from Birmingham to Carlise and Newcastle, Wales and Scotland.

Iy's nor rocket science.

emiratesdxb
4th Dec 2004, 20:14
If anyone had of said 5 years ago that emirates were going to offer a weekly flight to Dubai I would have told them to stop dreaming, if they had of told me it would be daily and would also be a huge success with both Manchester and Heathrow offering the same flights I'd have given it 6 months, but hey guess what.......daily 777 and soon to be double daily 332 ooh err.

I guess the point being BHX can be successful between the umm mighty Manchester and not so convenient Heathrow.

Be positive and Manchester be grateful.

runway14141414
4th Dec 2004, 21:19
Also a twice daily service to EWR which is carrying decent loads when LHR + MAN offer the same service. Its not just runway length that hinders BHX, T1 at peak times is at breaking point and with the lack of airbridge served stands any potential airlines must look at the service them and their passengers would be getting. T1 cant really handle more than a couple of wide bodied aircraft at once and with baby and gulf starting the facilities will be stretched even more. What BHX needs is a runway extension and a T3/major T2 expansion then I think we'd see more airlines choosing BHX. Seems everyone else but the management can see this. :(

we_never_change
4th Dec 2004, 21:42
Alitalia will be using an ERJ145 on the twice daily service during Feb '05 with the A319 being used in the Summer.

Anybody knows what Skyways will be using next year? They are to get rid of the ERJ145s (believe two have already gone from the fleet) & it has been rumoured that they are looking at Fokker 100s or that SAS (who they currently codeshare with) will operate the service with a B736.

Any news who will replace FlyBE on the BHX-CDG from April 1st (the current agreement between Air France & Flybe ends on 31st March & will not be renewed by mutual agreement)? Various rumours floating around, Air France will operate the service themselves using A318/319, City Ireland with 146s or Regional/Britair with ERJ145/CRJ.

What BHX could do with (& it's not a long haul!!) is an Eastern European carrier such as Transaero, Air Baltic etc to tap into this growing market.

Last point, BHX accepted various diversions today from Coventry, an Atlantic Electa & a Pa34 on cargo flights, a Hapag Lloyd B737, a Thomsonfly B737 & an Atlantic ATR42 all on passenger flights. Not that bad as people occasionally complain that BHX usually turns diversions away :ok:

WNC

future_pilot17
4th Dec 2004, 22:40
BHX definatley needs a runway extension, no questions asked to attract more long haul services. The managment seem to want to settle to be the small airport between MAN and LHR/LGW, it can be more than that and long haul services that start here do well, all you have to do is look at EK and CO.:ok:
Aside from that though there are other important issues with T1 such as more gates to handle larger aircraft and this will have to be addressed in the future, they have started work recently though. When i was there on Tuesday i could see them building a new taxiway of RWY 15 and aswell as that they are going to build a high-speed turn-off taxiway.
They could also do with a new satillite pier similer to the one's they have at STN. Have to remeber though this all comes at a cost and i think the airport are prioritising at the moment and i believ the new taxiways being built are a good idea. I think a runway extension is needed in under 10 years at maximum.

we_never_change
4th Dec 2004, 22:53
There ISN'T going to be a high speed exit off the current runway at BHX, where would they put it?

At the end of 33 you have the A & B exits, then the 06/24 turnoff, then E at the end & then you have the current exit being constructed which doesn't leave much (if any) room for a high speed exit.

The exit currently being built was to be a high speed exit but with the desired angle, there wouldn't have been enough space for it to fit in between R15 & Taxiway E so it is now just a conventional exit just like all the others :hmm:

WNC

future_pilot17
4th Dec 2004, 23:31
I wasn't talking about the end of RWY 33????

I saw the new taxiway being built towards the end of RWY 15 from the viewing area, that still leaves room before that new taxiway and the RWY 24/6 cross-over. IF! that was built it could lead to the main taxiway infront of T1. Either way even if one taxiway was built its good news as most aircraft miss the last turnoff being RWY 24/6 and have to taxi all the way to the end.

we_never_change
5th Dec 2004, 00:09
I wasn't talking about the end of RWY 33????

Neither was I, I was just stating all the exits of 15/33 on the terminal side.

Unfortunetly, the area between the 16/24 runway & where the new exit is being created is where the ILS Glidepath beacon (for 33) is located so no chance of a high speed exit going there!

Aswell as the current construction of the new runway exit, some of the taxiways are being widened so that ALL the taxiways (on the terminal side) can take B777-300 type aircraft. I understand that when Emirates used a B773 in BHX, it could only use certain taxiways due to its size.

WNC

runway14141414
5th Dec 2004, 08:00
==============================================
They could also do with a new satillite pier similer to the one's they have at STN. Have to remeber though this all comes at a cost and i think the airport are prioritising at the moment and i believ the new taxiways being built are a good idea. I think a runway extension is needed in under 10 years at maximum.
==============================================

There was I think £290 million for the Millenium link/Satellite pier upgrade which due to 9/11 wasn't completed so some funds must remain. It wouldn't be enough for the whole package but would make a decent start.

30W
5th Dec 2004, 09:48
The new Twy 'C' that is under construction is quoted as being a 'Fast Turn-Off Taxiway' by BIA. The angle it is designed as however, is such that realistically we can't exit on it at any higher speed than we can at the R/W end, as we currently do. The ONLY advantage is that the exit will be reached quicker than the R/W end, so perhaps about 20secs of R/W time will be saved. A full RET would have been better, but is not possible given the run off length needed.

It's disadvantege is that it's use ties up TWY 'E' so further reducing ATC's ability to juggle ground movements. BHX is already ground movement limited due to it's poor cul de sac system, and this WILL make matters worse. R/W capacity is only worth having if you can move aircraft to/from it to serve that capacity. BHX fails in that respect. Expansion will only make the issue worse as the stand/terminal expansion proposed is purely an extension on the current structure.

The current R/W extension is YEARS away, and will be subject to a FULL Public Enquiry. Commercially NEMA wins every time until then. Firstly, I can do the same long haul flight from NEMA and carry in addition to my pax, 10 tonnes of revenue cargo. Secondly BIA's fees are more costly than NEMA's, so sadly my airlines long haul work will all be done from NEMA. If the airport wanted to compete it could offer much reduced fees for long haul routes, but chooses not to(it would still make money from these passengers due to retail sales) - it will therefore suffer. Wish it were not so, but it does make commercial sense to NOT use BHX.

Daza
5th Dec 2004, 12:12
Negative comments about or own airport!! No wander that people who support MAN and its shell suited ALC bound passengers scoff we put this airport down our selves!!!

AZ plan to operate mxp 2x daily with a319 if pax numbers continue. BA are planning to expand @bhx this summer also. We have BMI Babys biggest base which aim to carry 1 million pax per year Flybe chose BHX to launch its new aircraft. GF will commence and by looking at some fares on expedia it looks as if some seats have already been sold. EK are to start 2x daily after only a few years of ops. I also know that the airport have at least 2 more major summer starter airlines to announce!!
Daza

future_pilot17
5th Dec 2004, 12:39
I'm not being negative, i know we have all those operators starting next year and thats great especially with GF's arrival and Flybe's expansion:ok: :) , all i was saying was that runway length "might" of put off some airlines from operating from here.
Go BHX!!!

GrahamK
5th Dec 2004, 15:47
No wander that people who support MAN and its shell suited ALC bound passengers scoff we put this airport down our selves!!!

BHX has shell suited passengers going to ALC also remember :}

What is the exact date of the start of the new Gulf Traveller flights to Abu Dhabi?

runway14141414
5th Dec 2004, 15:58
Gulf Traveller are due to start on 01/04/2005 Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun then daily as of June.

eggc
5th Dec 2004, 16:00
snippet from the MAN happenings...

Air India have applied for slots from both MAN & BHX..

dont know if it is both or either or

Time will tell

MarkBHX
5th Dec 2004, 16:19
Just a word about the new taxiway. The initial plan was to build a high speed exit, but this was shelved because a normal taxiway was cheaper!

I am lead to believe some movement of car parks could allow the building of a new terminal, baring in mind the NEC are trying to offload car parks for money, the car parks next to T2 could be scrapped and moved to whichever the NEC sells. Can't see a new terminal or any major projects in the next 5 years though.

I'm sure the airport would love to reduce charges, if only they didn' have shareholders!!!!!:ok:

tangocharlie
5th Dec 2004, 16:33
Not bothered if positive or negative, as perceived by some:

BHX is expensive to operate from!

Although the Commercial Dept can see this (doesnt take great eyesight!) the airport continues to make money so that is why the 'top' are not reducing fees!

runway14141414
5th Dec 2004, 16:51
Does anyone know if Germanwings are planning a 2xDaily BHX-CGN service seem to remember it being mentioned but never heard an official announcement.

we_never_change
5th Dec 2004, 20:48
There were rumours of Germanwings starting at BHX in competition to HLX down the road at Coventry & don't forget, Germanwings is related to bmi baby (Lufthansa both have stakes in the companies).

But, I understand that Lufthansa are looking at this closely as Cologne is situated quite close to Dusseldorf which is served by DLH from Birmingham & wouldn't want to its low cost partner Germanwings to start taking passengers away from its DUS route (where the passengers obviously pay more!).

WNC

BHXviscount
5th Dec 2004, 21:17
Wow things really got heated, been away for a day

One thing I have noticed is that any expansion planned or happening is too little and when completed will be too late. If there are funds available then I think the airport board should seriously consider turning the old Elmdon site into a LCC hub with around 15 stands(no airbridges needed).
This would take the pressure off T1 so it could be reconstructed/rebuilt/extended -more widebodied stands passport controll security baggage reclaim etc etc with the current taiway being built couldnt the main pier be extended to accomodate? This needs to happen sooner rather than later as easier to extend when not at full capacity. It will also send out the right signals to potential airlines and those oh so much needed potential pax to make any new routes work.

BHXviscount

runway14141414
5th Dec 2004, 21:21
Seem to remember some time back Maersk applying for permission to build a new maintainence hanger across the other side of 06/24 next to the now fire training ground that would free up the Elmdon site for T3.

we_never_change
5th Dec 2004, 21:56
The main hangars are currently occupied by FlyBE where as well as visits by their own aircraft, the hangars have recently visited by Air Nostrum CRJs, BA 146s, Axis Airways 146s & in the past, Austrian & SAS DHC8-400s.

Don't think Signature (used to be Execaire) & Eurojet Aviation (with their nice shiny bizjets) would be too happy being chucked out of the Elmdon site though.
Also the nightly Fedex flight (operated by Air Contractors, formerly BAC Express) to Paris CDG operates from this site. However, during the runway works, this has been occasionally operating from Coventry so I suppose it could move there permanently.

The future plans do involve moving the current long stay carparks so that the apron/terminal can be extended southwards of T2. This will also mean that the fuelfarm will have to move (which would also be the case if the runway got extended) & possibly diverting the A45.

WNC

runway14141414
5th Dec 2004, 22:11
It was applied for when Mearsk were there thought planning permission might already be there so the usual red tape could be avoided probably doubtful there would be room to accommodate the biz jets aswell.

BHXviscount
5th Dec 2004, 22:15
I have always thought the A45 would go under runway some 30ft from where it is now........ would be rather awkward to divert it what would be left of bickenhill??

BHXviscount

future_pilot17
6th Dec 2004, 08:36
I also heard about the A45 going under the extension for the runway, when looked at as a whole this would be better because if they didnt a massive diversion of the A45 woul be needed.

runway14141414
6th Dec 2004, 19:51
Spoke to a friend who works at BHX and she's heard a rumour that Egyptair will be starting services in 05 probably to Cairo its only a rumour but wondered if anyone else had heard the same thing.

future_pilot17
6th Dec 2004, 22:16
I havn't heard anything but if they did start services what aircraft do they have in thier fleet and what would they use to BHX?

runway14141414
6th Dec 2004, 22:27
Not sure, it's all rumour but they have 763's and A 320/1's so not sure which would be used but as I said its all rumour.

we_never_change
7th Dec 2004, 19:53
As already mentioned previously, Emirates are due to start a double daily frequency into BHX from early next year, both services to be operated by A330 but from October '05 (long way off so could well change), UAE39 should revert to a B772 with the evening flight remaining as an A330.

Egyptair would presumably use A320 or A321

WNC

future_pilot17
8th Dec 2004, 18:17
Yeah you are right, after checking Expedia it shows the afternoon flight to be a B772 and the evening flight to be an A332....:ok: :)

MarkBHX
8th Dec 2004, 19:59
Has anyone else heard of T3 operating a NWI-BHX-NQY/PLH/EXT(only one of these 3) service?

I think this would work because it takes an age to get from Birmingham to Norwich and the journey from Norwich to the south west must be rediculous!!!!

BHXviscount
8th Dec 2004, 20:15
Gambia International airlines to BHX?

Speculation taken from an article in the current (January 2005) issue of
Airliner World, entitled 'New Gambian Links':

'Gambia International Airlines is planning to... launch a second weekly
service to the UK by the end of the first quarter of 2005, following the success
of it's current (LGW) operations.

"We will certainly introduce a second weekly frequency, most likely to
London's Gatwick Airport but we are thinking of serving Birmingham, although
nothing has been agreed" said the airline's Commercial Director Amie Jobe Saho.

BHXviscount

we_never_change
8th Dec 2004, 20:57
BHX-Norwich used to be operated by Prospair (I think!) using a pair of Pa31s (GLEON & GOPRA), not sure how succesful this was.

Jersey European operated a EXT-BHX before they ditched their Sh360s, Air Southwest with their DHC8s might be able to make a go of this (PLH-BHX-NWI?)

Gambian currently lease a Futura B737-800 I believe

WNC

BHXviscount
8th Dec 2004, 21:03
Didn't one of prospair's aircraft crash in a field? Their NWI route was doubled up once due to high loads and both aircraft going out one after another so it might have been succesful until the crash.
I wonder if a NWI-BHX-EXT would be more likely as flybe are interested in NWI.

BHXviscount

future_pilot17
8th Dec 2004, 21:04
we_never_change you are right about Gambian, after i did a search on A.net thats what the pics showed up as.

crewmeal
9th Dec 2004, 20:39
So WEA 304 from Amritsar has been cancelled/non op again . What happened to that flight then?

What happened to the passengers who bought tickets?

So who else is going to have a stab at this lucritive market then?

Which reminds me whats Flyblu up to these days?

we_never_change
9th Dec 2004, 21:46
Cos White Eagle haven't got an aircraft to operate the flight!! The B767 that Midland Airways was using (OMNSH operated by Slovak Airlines) has currently be impounded at BHX & has a snowplough parked at the rear of it to prevent it moving!!

I understand that the passengers have been moved onto other flights (Turkmenistan, Uzbeckistan etc..)

WNC

MarkBHX
10th Dec 2004, 16:17
Lots of HV movements this month at BHX, operating the santa flights.

BY are getting a HF A310 in to operate to Tenerife later this month also.

future_pilot17
10th Dec 2004, 17:02
I hope to get up to BHX and see the A310. Assuming the weather is good! I:ok: :}

we_never_change
10th Dec 2004, 17:25
Also, last few days have seen a couple of Travel Service B737-800s on Xmas shopping trips.

WNC

upperecam
11th Dec 2004, 09:27
Prospair Norwich service was indeed profitable as a stand alone service. Expansion to a larger aircraft with add on sectors(s) to link east/west coasts were planned and funding in place when Lloyds Commercial Bank reneged on the support. Typical of the early nineties when asset stripping of small businesses was ripe.

The aircraft to replace the PA31's was to be initially one leased Badeirante. An interesting fact was the number of NEC visitors using the flight to commute to save trying to find accommodation at busy NEC times! A good regular client base was growing and I suspect the loss of the service was felt. It was of course an excellent feeder to other routes ex-Brum.

If anyone has any further interest pop a contact e-mail on the subject into a posting.

we_never_change
11th Dec 2004, 11:56
Don't Eastern have a presence at Norwich? Maybe a Jetstream 31 3x daily (weekdays) would work on NWI-BHX.

As well as the rumours surrounding EgyptAir, others are Qatar Airways & Etihad.

WNC

airhumberside
11th Dec 2004, 16:52
Eastern serve EDI, ABZ and MAN from Norwich

Ian Farquharson
11th Dec 2004, 18:20
The EgyptAir flights may well be Hadj flights not a new scheduled services, Saudi are also holding Hadj slots.

Ian

This Charming Man
11th Dec 2004, 18:34
Ian

You said on the Manchester Happenings that you've seen the slot list for BHX S05 and it's as impressive as the MAN list ! Can you post it on here please ?

brgds
TCM

we_never_change
12th Dec 2004, 15:52
However, just 'cos an airline applies for slots, doesn't mean that will take them up. Air India have applied for slots at both BHX & MAN but I doubt if they'll operate services from both airports.

WNC

MarkBHX
12th Dec 2004, 20:47
PIA operate from both, so I can't see why AI can't, there is definate demand for a non stop scheduled flight from BHX to India.

By the way, does anybody know how Mahan are getting on? They seem to be constantly delayed and use an A320 quite regularly, so are passenger numbers low if they are only using this?

we_never_change
12th Dec 2004, 21:05
There is already a nonstop service between Birmingham & India, Midland Airways!!

WNC

future_pilot17
12th Dec 2004, 21:55
Yeah but aren't "Midland Airways" having problems all the time?

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
12th Dec 2004, 21:57
I thought they had a snow plough blocking their B767 in at BHX

Icelandair B757 operating the service tonight via Bratislava into Manchester because BHX runway shut for maintenance

G-I-B

13th Dec 2004, 08:43
Decision time! A reasonably sized regional airport or an international gateway......an identity crisis wouldn't you say?
Typical head-in-the-sand UK problem.....the runway is just not long enough......put some more concrete down.

we_never_change
13th Dec 2004, 17:14
As mentioned previously, should the runway be extended, it would have to extended southwards & the A45 would have to be diverted/put in an underpass. Who would pay for this? BHX, Birmingham Council or the Highways Agency?

Do BHX already have permission to extend the runway or would it have to go through a (lengthy) public enquiry?

WNC

jmc757
13th Dec 2004, 19:56
Don't think BHX have permission to extend the runway at present, although stand to be corrected. They do have some land rights or something for the land on t'other side of the A45, but as WNC has mentioned its the cost of re-routing the A45 and who would pay?

Midland Airways lol! Nothing more than a tour operator. Even worse they will just use whichever airline they can on a week to week basis. Get a proper airline onto these routes!

BHXviscount
13th Dec 2004, 20:08
As far as I am aware BHX owns the land needed to extend the runway. It would go to public inquiry as solihull borough council( which most of BHX is in, including the proposed extension) would never grant permission. The airport had problems getting the main(T1) terminal extension plans through on land the airport owns!
Though maybe if the airport said runway extension and no second runway for 50yrs...........................:ok:

BHXviscount.

we_never_change
13th Dec 2004, 20:20
If BHX ever does get a third runway (it already has 06/24 & 15/33 although the former is practically a taxiway now although although still classified as a runway), I think that a better idea would be not to have it as planned, parralel to 15/33 but across it (similar to 06/24 but longer) as BHX, at times, does seem to have a few problems with cross winds.

However, if they did permanently close 06/24 & downgrade it to a taxiway, they could concrete over between 06 & the western apron & use this for additional aircraft parking & thus, the shiny bizjets could still use the western apron & hangar area parking.

WNC

BHXviscount
13th Dec 2004, 20:36
WNC- there was a plan to extend 06/24 over the railway but was considered too expensive. I believe this was looked into during the move from the old Elmdon site to the current setup.

I think there is currently planning permision for a hanger by 06, this was granted to maersk before the buyout and DUO saga. Wether this could be used as aircraft stands without planning without further planning issues.........? does anyone know the legal position?

BHXviscount.

runway14141414
15th Dec 2004, 20:44
Think the fat lady is starting to clear her proverbial throat regarding Gulf Traveller BHX no longer appears on the on-line timetable anymore is this more or less confermation? Also Qatar have apparently held BHX slots for some time now surely this would be the perfect time to launch a BHX-Doha service.

Scottie Dog
15th Dec 2004, 22:08
Hope you don't mind a question from a MAN man.

What happened this morning to cause CO026 to divert and visit MAN? Rumours of wet concrete - but nothing definate. Flifo said 'due to runway conditions'.

Cheers

Scottie Dog

we_never_change
15th Dec 2004, 22:52
The runway works that have been taking place overnight were not completed in time for the scheduled runway reopening (possibly due to concrete not setting). Most aircraft were put in the various holds around BHX but a couple did divert (COA26 for example went to Manchester).

WNC

we_never_change
18th Dec 2004, 21:11
The Slovak Airlines/Midland Airways flight to Amritsar has been operated by an Icelandair B757-200 again this weekend. Aircraft positioned in from Norwich late Friday night.

WNC

Ian Farquharson
18th Dec 2004, 21:16
The Saturday Mahan Air service is running very late tonight an will be operated by a A300B4 !

Expected to be EPMHF c/n 55

Also lots of extra flights by Uzbekistan the last few days.

Ian

runway14141414
18th Dec 2004, 21:20
Also there was a Flyjet flight to Amritsar tonight due back tommorrow are Flyjet still doing flights for Midland Airways or are they for another company.

we_never_change
18th Dec 2004, 22:59
Another company, Slovak Airlines operate the flights for Midland Airways (who just sell seats). However, Slovaks B767 OMNSH is currently impounded at Birmingham hence the leasing in of Icelandair B757s the last couple of weekends to operate the flight.

WNC

Call Established
19th Dec 2004, 10:31
The log book etc... has been removed by the leasing company.....some people just don't like those P&W in there airspace. The Icelandair B757 is now going to be a regular thing.

The Flyjet is also going to be weekly replacing the B762.

Infact the Icelandair B757 last week went direct BHX-ATQ with about 140ish pax on. No stop in Slovakia !

we_never_change
19th Dec 2004, 12:25
Cityjet (Ireland) are the airline which will apparently take over the Air France flights between BHX-CDG from Flybe. These begin April 1st.

WNC

MarkBHX
19th Dec 2004, 17:07
now we have 4 LCCs at bhx, does anyone else think/hope like me that they will move off the usual agp, alc, pmi routes wich must be saturated from the midlands now, and move into new routes from bhx such as gib(ZB?), psa, bud, waw, bio, sxf etc?????

By the way Dutchbird are operating a santa flight tomorrow, originating from STN!

And also, did anyone get to see the HF A310 today??

Regards

Mark

we_never_change
19th Dec 2004, 17:41
The HLF A310 was the ex Lufthansa example, mainly white with red titles.

Gibraltar is a possibility once Monarch (Scheduled) starts expanding at BHX.
Pisa is served by Thomsonfly from Coventry
As for Warsaw, there were mentions recently of LOT looking at BHX (similar frequency to Manchesters flight).
Berlin was a DUO route, not sure of the loads carried but BA were looking at the route but currently have no spare aircraft to use.

Tomorrows Dutchbird routes Stansted-BHX-Ivalo-BHX-Stansted + there are two Transavia B737-800s from Santaland into BHX tonight.

WNC

MarkBHX
19th Dec 2004, 21:31
I think flybe could make Pisa work, either with a d8-400(not sure if they have the range) or the 146,I flew bhx-psa in the summer on a ba 146/rj100 and it was virtually full both ways. Admittedly I think the majority were people on charter packages but by the looks of some people on the flight, they were on flight only. The place was heaving with brits when we got there though.

I heard the DUO Berlin flight was one of the flights that was picking up towards the end and that BA were going to have a shuffle round with aircraft to fit Berlin into their route network from BHX, maybe next summer?

BHXviscount
19th Dec 2004, 22:08
I would think flybe could use one of their new 737s on the pisa route:D

BHXviscount

martinhardy
19th Dec 2004, 23:56
hi,

Does anyone know who is replacing the Franchise on the BHX - CDG route? or are Air France operating it themselves?

Thanks, also what hapenning on the sunshine route, somethings got to give. There will be 4 LLC's on the malaga route, plus the usual Chaters. Somethings got to give. Malaga is just an example. Its cazy, wonder whats going to happen. Nice to see flybe have put Perpignan back on next years schedule.

Bye for now

MArtin

we_never_change
20th Dec 2004, 18:18
Cityjet (Ireland) will be operating the BHX-CDG route with BAe146-200s (Flybe are currently scheduled to use 146-300s). Cityjet being 100% owned by Air France.

WNC

Daza
20th Dec 2004, 21:48
BACX are looking at expanding at BHX next summer rumours I have heard (from a BA employee) include the EMB 170 and up to 6 new routes!! From next summer they want to re-take the number one spot at BHX in terms of destinations. Hope these rumours are true!!
Daza

Cyrano
21st Dec 2004, 11:42
ATI reports that United and SAS are to start codesharing on BHX-CPH from early 2005.

Given that UA doesn't serve CPH either (except via codeshare on SK flights), what's this about, then? Was SK feeling left out that any UA connections from the US to BHX were going via FRA? Were UA keen to start offering BHX-to-US connections via CPH on SK metal? Or :E are they planning a direct translantic service to BHX? (note: before this turns into an "official rumour";) , I have no evidence whatsoever for it, except as an attempted explanation for the BHX-CPH codeshare).

C.

airhumberside
21st Dec 2004, 11:54
United will do CPH-IAD for SAS untill summer

we_never_change
21st Dec 2004, 16:14
As regards to BACX, there are several rumours here & in "Rumours & News forums" about the current relationship between BA & BACX, apparently it isn't all rosy with several people mentioning BA cutting CX loose.

We will have to wait & see!!
WNC

MarkBHX
21st Dec 2004, 16:24
CO operating the 764 again on the 29/12 and 5/1:ok:

Are those E170s the Alitalia examples? And new routes? Nearly forgotten what they are here at BHX!!!

Cyrano, you may joke about UA starting to BHX but I did hear a rumour about them looking at BHX not so long ago(at the routes convention)! However they seem to be concentrating on the Pacific at the mo.

Cyrano
21st Dec 2004, 17:40
Mark:

Having been at the last few Routes conferences I know that the fact that an airline and an airport have talked for 15 minutes there means next to nothing. Either side can request the meeting, so I would expect the BHX marketing folks to have arranged meetings with pretty much all the US carriers (and various Asian ones, and various European ones...). To give you an example of funky meetings at Routes 2004 (just one example among several): Delta and Doncaster. Guess who asked for that one? (Clue: not the airline). :hmm:

we_never_change
21st Dec 2004, 19:06
Continental are likely to operate B764s regulary on Wednesdays, mainly be cause this is a day when there is only ONE departure to Newark rather than the usual two (COA26 & COA32).

WNC

MarkBHX
21st Dec 2004, 20:01
Cyrano:

UA asked to speak to BHX, as did SA and no doubt a few more airlines. I don't remember saying any routes were going to be started following this, I simply said UA were looking at BHX, which they did and have decided nothing will happen in the near future

airhumberside
21st Dec 2004, 20:09
Can any one tell me who European operate charters to Munster and Paderborn for

Thanks

runway14141414
21st Dec 2004, 20:16
The european charters are for the M.O.D.

runway14141414
21st Dec 2004, 21:32
An article off icbirmingham.co.uk

£250,000 legal bill to tackle airport Dec 21 2004

By Paul Dale, Birmingham Post

West Midlands council tax payers face a £250,000 legal bill to fight the planned expansion of Coventry Airport.

Six of the region's district councils, including Birmingham, have clubbed together to hire a top QC.

The councils are all shareholders in Birmingham International Airport, which they fear will be damaged financially if Coventry Airport's growth as a centre for low-cost holiday flights is allowed to go unchecked.

A legal team will represent the councils at a public inquiry into Warwick District Council's decision to refuse permission for a new passenger terminal and additional car parking at Coventry Airport.

Economy flight specialists ThomsonFly began commercial flights from Coventry in March, arguing that since the airport pre-dates the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act there were no restrictions on the type, frequency or number of flights.

Warwick District Council served an enforcement notice requiring the airport to dis-mantle a temporary passenger terminal.

The latest planning application from Coventry Airport envisages a 10,000 sq mtr terminal, parking for 3,425 cars and up to two million passenger movements by 2012.

The West Midlands district councils, with the exception of Coventry which is supporting the airport's expansion, argue that any future growth should be limited to two million passenger movements a year and subject to improved public transport access to the airport.

Mike Whitby, leader of Birmingham City Council, said: "The underlying concern is that development at Coventry could undermine the long-term expansion of BIA. If this were to happen there could be considerable detrimental impact on the region's economy."

A report to yesterday's Birmingham council Cabinet meeting warned: "The tendency for no-frills operators to seek alternative airfields is not limited to Coventry since similar proposals have also emerged at Wolverhampton Business Airport. While this decentralisation might have local economic benefits it is considered detrimental to the future of BIA, thereby the region's economy."

Fried_Chicken
22nd Dec 2004, 19:38
The West Midlands district councils, with the exception of Coventry which is supporting the airport's expansion, argue that any future growth should be limited to two million passenger movements a year and subject to improved public transport access to the airport.

Haven't Coventry Airport said they will cap passenger no's at 2m anyhow? There has recently been a new bus link between the airport & Coventry centre via the train station started aswell & TOM have just delivered their fifth B737 to Coventry.

Fried Chicken

runway14141414
22nd Dec 2004, 21:38
The Baby aircraft are due in Jan 6th 20:15 from EMA, 21:45 from MAN and Jan 7 07:30 again from EMA.

MarkBHX
23rd Dec 2004, 15:13
27/12- BY using a HF A310 again, this time to Las Palmas, last time they used the HF A310, many of the passengers were in uproar because they weren't travelling on a BY aircraft. Even the fact that the 310 had bigger seat pitch didn't please them! I believe this is happening again because BY have an aircraft in for repainting and are therefore short.

Also, on the 28th, VZ will be using a MYT 757 for their Palma flight.

Fried_Chicken
23rd Dec 2004, 15:36
The HLF A310 has been operating out of Manchester aswell recently.

Fried Chicken

MarkBHX
23rd Dec 2004, 21:05
Does anyone know what kind of flights are operating xmas day this year? I know CO are running both flights and EK are operating(all VERY busy) and I think there is 1 BY flight but apart from that I don't know. Seems like Eastern have packed up for the hols already as all their flights are cancelled for tomorrow!

30W
24th Dec 2004, 17:48
First Choice FCA have a lunchtime ALC rotation on the 757.

Used to prefer the days when BHX was CLOSED Christmas Day!!

30W

Fried_Chicken
24th Dec 2004, 17:53
There was an Eastern flight today, an afternoon rotation f&t Ronaldsway

Fried Chicken

runway14141414
27th Dec 2004, 19:31
This is an article taken from todays Indian Times:

NEW DELHI: In a bid to cater to the ethnic Indian population in the
UK and Canada, the Air-India Maharajah is all set to launch new
flights to Birmingham and link it onward to Toronto. Birmingham will
be the national carrier's first stop in the UK outside London.

The onward link to Toronto is aimed at the growing Indian population
in Canada. Since a large chunk of the Indian population in Canada as
well as London originates from northern India, the Birmingham-Toronto
flight would originate from Amritsar, instead of the usual stops of
Delhi or Mumbai.

The Amritsar-Birmingham-Toronto flight would be launched from
May '05, said VK Verma, commercial director of Air-India. The new
service would be operated with Boeing B777 aircraft three times a
week, he added.

Air-India is leasing three B777s which were being used by United
Airlines. Efforts are on to lease a number of other aircraft,
including B747-400s which would be used to expand capacity
during '05.

Initially, A-I considered launching flights to Manchester to cater to
ethnic Indian population. However, the airline has zeroed in on
Birmingham in view of the changes in Indian population profile in the
UK.
There is a strong demand for Birmingham-Toronto connectivity as a
sizeable population of the Indian population living in the UK and
Canada have links with each other.

Since obtaining slots at London for flights connecting onward to
north America is difficult, the Maharajah has moved over to
Birmingham. The costs would also be lower at Birmingham as compared
to London's Heathrow airport, it is felt.

MarkBHX
27th Dec 2004, 21:32
Excellent news for BHX if it actually happens! However I will believe it when I see it! I guess the old question of runway length will come up though :rolleyes:

runway14141414
27th Dec 2004, 21:51
Sad to say but I fully agree. After GF when I see the aircraft on the ground i'll be fully convinced. Would be great addition for BHX though and I reckon that it could easily run alongside HY, T5, 6Q etc there is more than enough demand for flights to India.

luoto
28th Dec 2004, 10:58
What is the current wisdom about possible service enhancements to the Nordic and Scandinavian lands? I understand Duo was slowly making inroads with its HEL service. I did hear some talk that a route to Estonia may occur also but that went quiet.

ATNotts
28th Dec 2004, 11:11
Mark BHX

Why oh why are BHX people obsessed with the runway length!? If this is put about as an obstacle enough then people will actually begin to believe it.

The 772 should make BHX / YYZ with an effective payload, though it is surely going to be weight restricted, as I expect it will be off Amritsar.

AI's calculation is a simple one. Will they attract enough business not only ATQ / BHX, but also ATQ / YYZ and possibly, if they have traffic rights BHX / YYZ.

Given the demographics of the central UK, I would have though that if a direct service "north of Watford" was ever going to work it would be to BHX, and from ATQ.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
28th Dec 2004, 13:13
I would have thought that given past events AI wouldn't be too keen on having large numbers of Canadian Indians on their aircraft.

Fried_Chicken
2nd Jan 2005, 14:28
It would appear that an Armenian A320 is positioning into BHX tonight to operate the Midland Airways/Slovak Airlines flight to Amritsar. Last couple of weeks, this flight has been operated by an Icelandair B757.

Fried Chicken

330-Purser
2nd Jan 2005, 16:46
It would appear that an Armenian A320 is positioning into BHX tonight to operate the Midland Airways/Slovak Airlines flight to Amritsar. Last couple of weeks, this flight has been operated by an Icelandair B757.

Any idea when Midland Airways are going to come up with a permanent solution this problem?

Such a shame as I'm sure it would be a very profitable route. Who actually signed the lease on the 767, I presume it was Slovak seeing as no one is using it all now?

I doubt many passenegers will be impressed with an A320 for that kind of journey, so lets hope Midland get something sorted soon.

330-Purser :hmm:

Call Established
2nd Jan 2005, 21:40
Midland Airways took the lease of the aircraft and were / are still paying the lease payments. Obviously its impounded at BHX I think at the request of the leasing company. Hence the snow plow behind it.

Daza
4th Jan 2005, 20:50
The BA Franchise carrier Sun Air plan to commence a new bhx-bll service on 4th April daily except Sat with their new Dornier 328 Jets another new route for BHX!!!!
Daza

Tandemrotor
4th Jan 2005, 21:18
I guess BACX will be interested to hear that.

MarkBHX
5th Jan 2005, 21:42
ATNotts

Did I ever say there was a problem with the length of runway at BHX? I think not. I have full confidence that the AI 772 will be able to fly the routes proposed, or else I doubt they will have ever been proposed. Strong demand in both directions should make this an effective service, even if, as you corresctly state there could possibly be weight restrictions.

ATNotts
6th Jan 2005, 08:11
Mark BHX,

Not directed towards you specifically. But there is a tendency amongst people, surprisingly, people who support BHX, to bang on about runway length.

It's an obstacle, not a barrier.

I like you feel that if (hopefully when) AI begin ops with the 772 the market is there, and the service will work.

Fried_Chicken
6th Jan 2005, 19:57
Aren't Sunair going to be using Do328 props rather than Do328 Jets?

Fried Chicken

Fried_Chicken
7th Jan 2005, 16:51
First day of bmi baby ops today, I understand one was named "Brummie baby" at a special press conference

Fried Chicken

we_never_change
8th Jan 2005, 20:05
The Air Slovakia B757 was severley damaged last night at BHX. It was spun through 90degrees by the wind & came into contact with some steps that punctured the fuselage several times. Not sure how bad the damage is but presumably will have to be ferried somewhere for repais to be carried out (if it can fly!)

WNC

Ian Farquharson
12th Jan 2005, 19:19
Birmingham International Airport (BIA) handled 8,870,204 passengers in 2004,
2.3% down compared to the previous year. Although the year began with strong
passenger growth, numbers slightly declined in May following the loss of
Birmingham based scheduled airline Duo.

In the year as a whole, scheduled traffic reduced by 1.6% compared to the
previous year. Nevertheless, passenger numbers on transatlantic flights
increased by 15.7%, services to the Indian sub-continent rose by 4.3% and the
number of travellers on flights to the Irish Republic grew by 9%.

Those scheduled destinations which experienced particular growth during the year
were Helsinki (+499.2%), Almeria (+451.8%), Cologne (+282.2%), Gerona (+88.8%),
Faro (+55.4%), Prague (+46.5%), Murcia (34.1%), Milan (+28.6%), Palma (+22.9%),
Paphos (+16.5%), Madrid (+11.5%) and Barcelona (+11%). The most popular
scheduled destinations in 2004 from Birmingham were Dublin, Paris and Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the number of people using charter services fell by 3.8% during the
year. This is due to the changes in current travelling patterns and is in line
with UK industry trends for 2004. However, more people travelled on long haul
services to Barbados (+296.9%), the Dominican Republic (+174.7%), the USA
(+30.8%) and Mexico (+14.3%). Additionally, growth was seen on charter services
to Croatia (+72.8%), Turkey (+41%), Tunisia (+12.5%), Bulgaria (+9.5%), Italy
(+9.2%), Finland (+6.4%) and Switzerland (+3.7%). The top three charter
destinations of the year were Palma, Tenerife and Alicante.

Scheduled traffic accounted for 66.5% of the total 2004 figure while charter
passengers made up the remaining 33.5%. Air Transport Movements were down by
5.7%.

With the launch of new carriers and new services, activity is expected

Fried_Chicken
14th Jan 2005, 15:46
Anybody any info on the Air Slovakia B757? Is it to be repaired or written off? It apparently resembles a collander on one side!!

Any update on Air India?

FC

Ian Farquharson
15th Jan 2005, 10:00
bmibaby carries record number of passengers in first week of operation - true low cost already delivering results at Birmingham -

bmibaby, the award winning airline with tiny fares is already showing the people of Birmingham and the West Midlands the true meaning of low cost fares. Just one week after successfully launching flights to nine European cities from Birmingham International Airport, the airline will have carried almost 10,000 passengers, a record for any launch by bmibaby, having sold over 125,000 seats already for travel until October 2005.

The airline cites the main reason for this incredible start as its true low cost fares and its reputation throughout the Midlands as a quality low cost airline. The uptake of flights from Birmingham prove that passengers have been waiting for some time to fly at an affordable price to the range of services the airline now offers. By choosing bmibaby's services to Amsterdam next week, passengers can make a saving of more than £250 on a return flight.

David Bryon, commercial director for the airline said:
"Existing carriers on routes such as Amsterdam, Belfast and Edinburgh have been charging high fares for far too long. For example, for some flights next week bmibaby is only charging £15.95 one way, including all taxes and charges compared to over £125 one way with the competition. There's really no comparison, especially when you take into account the fact that business travellers can cut 25 minutes off their flying time when choosing bmibaby.

"In addition to the low fares, we know that customers appreciate the extra benefits bmibaby provides, Boeing 737 jet airlines, online seat selection and a generous hand luggage allowance of 7kg plus a laptop computer."

bmibaby currently serves nine routes from its new base at Birmingham: Amsterdam, Belfast (International), Edinburgh, Alicante, Prague, Malaga, Knock, Palma and Geneva increasing to twelve throughout the busy summer season with the addition of Murcia, Bordeaux, Nice and Cork. Internet fares start from just £15.95 one way including taxes and charges.

MarkBHX
17th Jan 2005, 16:21
Latest I heard on Air india is that they want to use 747-400s!Not sure how true this is!Also Germanwings at BHX soon possibly and Hapag Lloyd Express stoppin at CVT because of this?

Alloy
17th Jan 2005, 17:05
Faro and Alicante added to Monarch Scheduled out of BHX for the summer to add to the Tenerifes and Malagas.:ok:

Fried_Chicken
17th Jan 2005, 17:11
I understand that it has always been Hapag Lloyd Expresses plan to pull out of CVT at the end of the Winter schedules, the CGN-CVT schedule wasn't/isn't exactly fantastic. 4 x week flights, different times each day. If Germanwings do announce a flight to BHX, i'd be suprised if HLX doesn't restart flights from Cologne to Coventry with at least a daily flight in order to compete (with GWI).

As for Germanwings, they are related to bmi baby (through Lufthansa) so it makes sense for them to begin flights to B'ham.

Germanwings were trialling the Boeing 717 with the view of possibly ordering some for a fleet renewal but Boeing have recently announced they are to end 717 production.

FC

runway14141414
17th Jan 2005, 20:16
Apparently P.I.A. are to re-commence the KHI-BHX-ORD-BHX-KHI as of 27/2/2005 on Tues and Sun as before. Still A310 operated.

future_pilot17
17th Jan 2005, 20:49
The link below is an interview with Air India's Chairman and Managing Director, Mr V. Thulasidas. Further confirmation of AI's intention to operate to BHX?

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/01/17/stories/2005011700810600.htm

He mentions the potential service twice......

Fried_Chicken
18th Jan 2005, 21:12
The Air India goes under the flightnumber, AIC187/188 but still no clearer as to wether BHX has definitely got it.

Still no update on Gulf Air, last I heard they had postponed their launch date at BHX

Fried Chicken

MarkBHX
21st Jan 2005, 16:45
EK 777-300 in today! Came in at about 1pm, and what a sight it was, huge!

future_pilot17
21st Jan 2005, 17:10
You lucky sod! lol
I want to see one :sad: but on the other hand BHX has an Air Atlanta Europe 742 coming in 7/2/05, definatly going to see that :ok: ;)

Also Germanwings are going to start service's to Cologne from the 14th April (daily ex Sat) i belive.........press release will be on Monday. Flights are now bookable :cool:

MarkBHX
21st Jan 2005, 17:20
Yup she'll be off to Fort Lauderdale, anyone know who for?Are Flywho chartering them until they get their 310s? (thats a joke btw):ok:

Ian Farquharson
22nd Jan 2005, 23:10
Pakistan have now confirmed that their twice weekly Chicago service will operate from BHX with A310's instead of via MAN with B772's from 26.02.05 thru to 23.10.05

Ian

Transat Hostie
23rd Jan 2005, 07:52
Are Flywho chartering them until they get their 310s?

I wouldn't think of that so much as a joke honestly!

The MD at Flywho was the former head engineering honcho at AAE. He was on a hourly rate at Flywho so I'm told, not sure if he's still there. Apparently he was a commited Boeing man which makes me thing he's perhaps not there seeing as they plan to introduce the A310?

Old habit's die hard as they say :=

runway14141414
23rd Jan 2005, 17:46
Air India schedule is to be:

AI187 ATQ DEL BHX ARR 1700 DAYS WED FRI SUN
AI187 BHX YYZ DEP 1830 DAYS WED FRI SUN

AI188 YYZ BHX ARR 1030 DAYS MON THU SAT
AI188 BHX ATQ DEL DEP 1200 DAYS MON THU SAT

All subject to change of course.

Fried_Chicken
24th Jan 2005, 21:40
Germanwings have been apparently offering flights £0.01 + taxes to celebrate the launch of the B'ham to Colgone flight

Fried Chicken

runway14141414
25th Jan 2005, 19:47
Showing on Amadeus is a 3rd weekly flight to Tehran:

W5 5020 THR-BHX Thur 04.00-07.00
W5 5019 BHX-THR Thur 09.30-19.00

Starting June 30th using A320.

we_never_change
26th Jan 2005, 23:53
Anybody know what is happening to the various empty retail outlets on the 1st floor in Terminal 1 (main terminal). Recently, Gifts4u, the Bodyshop & the English Heritage (or whatever it was called) have all closed & are currently vacant. I also notice that WH Smiths have moved out with their outlets being taken over by World News, did they have a falling out with B'ham management?

Those empty retail units can't look to good to the travelling passenger although I have noticed big "screens" have been erected over the fronts of a couple to try & hide them.

WNC

Tom the Tenor
27th Jan 2005, 00:55
Out of curiousity what kind of loads would PIA expect to pick up at Birmingham for the onward flight to Chicago or is it a purely fuel stop? Thanks.

ATNotts
27th Jan 2005, 08:10
Tom,

Ones and twos. I am told the a/c is normally pretty full from Pakistan and it is essentially a fuel stop.

runway14141414
27th Jan 2005, 19:24
Have heard rumours that the retail units have gone for an extension to the departure lounge behind not sure if this is true but i know Thorntons are closing next week. Could just be that the rent is too high.

Ian Farquharson
28th Jan 2005, 08:28
There is an article in this morning Bham Post regarding a trip by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham this Sunday to meet the Mayor of Chicago in a bid to get the daily Chicago service restarted.

The article says the only service is currently twice weekly by Pakistan and there a number of interested parties who maybe considering restoring a daily flight !

Ian

ATNotts
28th Jan 2005, 11:10
I wish I had the confidence in an overblown local politician on a junket to the USA even being able to hold his own in a meeting with the CEO of any of the major US carriers. Let alone close a deal!

Hopefully he has a good team around him!

BER321
28th Jan 2005, 19:19
according to the online timetable of berlin int'l airports bmi baby is going to start a daily (ex sat) bhx-sxf service on march 27th - any comments on that?

Caslance
28th Jan 2005, 19:20
How many aircraft does the Mayor of Chicago have at his disposal, then? :confused:

phil_2405
28th Jan 2005, 20:54
according to the online timetable of berlin int'l airports bmi baby is going to start a daily (ex sat) bhx-sxf service on march 27th - any comments on that?

From To Flight From/To Weekdays Arrival
Birmingham Schönefeld WW 1443 28.03-28.10 Mo, Tu, We, Th, Fr 19:05
Birmingham Schönefeld WW 1445 27.03-23.10 Su 21:30

From To Flight From/To Weekdays Departure
Schönefeld Birmingham WW 1444 28.03-28.10 Mo, Tu, We, Th, Fr 19:35
Schönefeld Birmingham WW 1446 27.03-23.10 Su 22:00

Source: www.berlin-airport.de

I wonder when/if this will be announced. Baby certainly seem to be giving BHX a real go!! I always hoped baby or EZY would start NEMA-SXF.

ATNotts
29th Jan 2005, 09:55
Caslance:

Exactly! His ego probably has as more or more that the Mayor of Birmingham.

But then again you can't fly egos!!

Daza
29th Jan 2005, 16:25
Now showing on Amadeus and Lufthansa website an extra LH BHX-FRA rotation arriving BHX 0830 4x weekly 735/319
Graet Daza

Fried_Chicken
29th Jan 2005, 17:17
Now showing on Amadeus and Lufthansa website an extra LH BHX-FRA rotation arriving BHX 0830 4x weekly 735/319

Does anybody know how BA will respond to this? Isn't the BA service (BHX-FRA) a mix of 146s & ERJ145s?

Fried Chicken

Daza
31st Jan 2005, 14:33
According to BA website all 5 BHX-FRA are operated by ER4s so same old BA response consolidate in the face of competition. I for one am glad that BHX have seen the light and supported other airlines insteads of relying on BA who have absolutely no interest in the regions they should be renamed London Airways!!
Daza:E :E :E

Fried_Chicken
31st Jan 2005, 17:18
Ah, but if BA give up at B'ham altogether leaving Lufthansa to operate FRA-BHX, Lufthansa can then charge pretty much what they like which can be bad for business as people will shop around for the best deal.

Since bmi baby started the AMS route from B'ham, KLM have reduced some of its fares to compete.

Fried Chicken

Ian Farquharson
31st Jan 2005, 21:32
The following article appears on www.hindubusinessline.com

New Delhi , Jan. 31

THE Government on Monday gave its nod to the two private sector airlines —
Jet Airways and Air Sahara — to start operating on the India-London sector.

While Jet Airways has been allowed to operate seven times a week between
India and London, Air Sahara has been given permission to operate
twice-a-week. Air India (AI) has also been given permission to start flying
thrice-a-week on the India-Birmingham sector. In addition, it has been
provisionally allotted three more flights to the UK from either Delhi or
Kolkata.

The new flights are expected to become operational from the airlines summer
schedule that generally begins towards the end of March.

AI will be allowed to operate the three flights if it is able to get landing
slots at London airport. It has been asked to report back to the Government
on whether slots are available by February 15.

If it fails to get, then the three flights will go back to the general pool
and would be divided among the other airlines of India, officials said.

Interestingly Indian Airlines had not asked for permission to operate
flights to London just yet, they said.

Sources said that while Jet Airways was looking at operating on the route
with either a Boeing 777 or an Airbus A-340 aircraft, Air Sahara was
planning to operate either a Boeing 777 or an Airbus A-310 aircraft.

While Jet Airways flight to London was likely to leave India in the
afternoon, the departure from the UK is likely to be in the night.

Daza
31st Jan 2005, 22:00
Does anyone have any idea about when an announcement will be made does this mean that BHX will definately get the new service? It will be a busy summer at BHX this year
Daza

jabird
1st Feb 2005, 07:25
Second runway plan delayed Feb 1 2005:

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/tm_objectid=15139615%26method=full%26siteid=50002%26headline =second%2drunway%2dplan%2ddelayed-name_page.html

A new £2 billion runway at Birmingham International Airport will be delayed after forecasts suggested fewer aircraft would operate there than first predicted.....

And managing director Richard Heard suggested neighbouring Coventry Airport had "compromised" BIA's long term future.

Now which is better value for the travelling public - a £7m terminal at Coventry, or a £2bn runway at Birmingham?

This is the first time I have seen a cost attached to this proposal, and to be honest, at that price, there can't be any justification for it for decades to come.

ATNotts
1st Feb 2005, 08:03
£ 2 billion for a runway - or £ 7 million for a terminal?? That's a toughie.

If I as a tax-payer and going to have to stump up this £2 billion (or a least my share of it) then frankly, I'll go for TUI finding £7 million of their shareholders cash!

As someone who wants to see a successful BHX then obviously the runway would be good. But exactly where do people grap these ludicrous figures from. £ 2 billion fofr 2400 metres of concrete works our at one heck of a lot per metre!

FlyboyUK
1st Feb 2005, 08:03
The BBC is reporting plans for major expansion announced today

BBC Birmingham News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4224543.stm)

Daza

The BHX-FRA sectors that BACX operate are a mix of RJ100's and ERJ145's. I'm taking an RJ100 out there in the morning. But you are right it's frustrating to see the last of interest that the compnay has in competeing in this ever changing market.

Regards

future_pilot17
1st Feb 2005, 12:01
Just a post for the exact links that were posted by.....................

Ian Farquharson > http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/02/01/stories/2005020102260900.htm

jabird > http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/post/news/tm_objectid=15139694%26method=full%26siteid=50002-name_page.html

;) :D

emiratesdxb
1st Feb 2005, 18:44
ATNotts

If I as a tax-payer and going to have to stump up this £2 billion (or a least my share of it) then frankly, I'll go for TUI finding £7 million of their shareholders cash!

I don't think as a taxpayer you will be stumping up your share towards this 2 billion as this is business driven and will not be financed through the government, but through the private sector.

emiratesdxb

Caslance
1st Feb 2005, 19:36
I don't think as a taxpayer you will be stumping up your share towards this 2 billion as this is business driven and will not be financed through the government, but through the private sector. Oh.......like the railways, you mean? :rolleyes:

The private sector will only get involved in projects of this nature in the UK if the Government - using our money - agrees to underwrite their investment.

jabird
1st Feb 2005, 20:11
Caslance,

Why should the government underwrite the investment? They are not doing so for LHR T5 or STN's 2nd runway.

There are certain "public service obligations" on the railways, and less opportunities for open competition, except on a very select range of routes.

I think we have to look at this from the passengers' perspective - the ROI on CVTs permanent terminal is very high, even with all the legal fees which must be mounting up every minute this wretched enquiry process continues!

I always throught £4bn at STN was madness (over £1m per metre...), but the opportunities for passenger growth at BHX are much less than half this.

Perhaps BAA don't have a monopoly on "gold plated facilities" after all!

runway14141414
1st Feb 2005, 20:18
I think the £2 billion quote covers all the infrastructure upgrades needed, a major re-routing of the A45, a new junction and probable widening of the M42 and upgrades of the West Coast Mainline and other public transport. I look forward to the masterplan and hope that the existing runway extension and terminal expansion is not too far away but it all faces a public enquiry first and i'm sure Solihull council will delay as long as they can.:(

emiratesdxb
1st Feb 2005, 20:42
Caslance

Oh.......like the railways, you mean?

On this occasion no not like the railways, as jabird points out they are not underwriting T5 or Stansted's proposed R2.

If the business case does not exist for a second runway then rest assured it will not be built especially with Tax payers money, was Manchester's 2nd runway built with Taxpayers money or underwritten by the government out of interest.

emiratesdxb

runway14141414

I understand new terminal first then extension to existing runway and then 2nd runway in that order.

emiratesdxb

thoma-hawk
1st Feb 2005, 21:49
All credit to Birmingham who have just spent 11 million pounds on the new Skyrail link between the Birmingham International Rail Link and BIA to provide a 90 seconds 'free' journey for rail passengers. One would presume this is in order to promote green travel plans and achieve sustainable and responsible targets for use of Public Transport.

Coventry Airport has still to cough-up enough money for a decent SSR for increased safety, (before starting on the subject of public transport or CVT's gold-plated fittings?).

Is 'cheap' and 'often' the only way forward as opposed to 'quality' with possible reduced 'quantity'?. (I do not think I have phrased that correctly so please do not take it as suggestive in any way).

Can both airports be successful in the future if each continually tries to 'out-play' the other (then there is Wolverhampton and NEMA)?

It is going to be interesting. Why would anyone want to go on holiday when they can be this entertained here?

jabird
1st Feb 2005, 21:50
And didn't MAN's 2nd runway come in at around £300m, including the relocation of Tatton Hall?

We know that £2bn now means £3bn by the time it gets built - and no, that woudln't include anything to do with the rail facilities, but obviously the airport would have to pay for any A45 diversion / tunnelling. Does this really justify a 1000% inflation over MANs new runway, for what is ultimately a much smaller airport, however much we want to see our facilities in the midlands develop?

Does anyone have a cost figure for the extension alone? Presumably, EMA could handle more long haul scheduled flights, but the major airlines such as EK, SA, AA etc would always be more interested in using BHX??

Fried_Chicken
1st Feb 2005, 22:08
(then there is Wolverhampton and NEMA)?

I think Wolverhampton (Halfpenny Green) aerodrome is now a dead duck & not a contender in the Midlands Airport race

Fried Chicken

Caslance
2nd Feb 2005, 15:58
And didn't MAN's 2nd runway come in at around £300m, including the relocation of Tatton Hall? Tatton Hall is still exactly where the Egerton family left it. :ok:

jabird
2nd Feb 2005, 21:37
Ok, I stand corrected! I thought there was a movement of an historic building though?

BHXviscount
3rd Feb 2005, 23:00
Presumably, EMA could handle more long haul scheduled flights, but the major airlines such as EK, SA, AA etc would always be more interested in using BHX??

BHX will have a 10200ft runway under develpment plans so why would any of the above airlines want to switch to EMA, which also doesn't have the infrastructure in place ie transport and terminal capacity.

BHXviscount

Caslance
4th Feb 2005, 06:54
There certainly was, jabird.

In fact a number of historic farms and residences were moved but not Tatton Hall, which is quite a large building situated on a substantial estate.

jabird
4th Feb 2005, 10:33
Caslance, thanks for the correction.

BHXviscount,

BHX will have a 10200ft runway under develpment plans

My question was how much would this cost? I am supportive of it in principle, but would be concerned about the costs of diverting the A45, etc.

so why would any of the above airlines want to switch to EMA,

I wasn't saying switch, I was merely referring to the fact that EMA has the runway capable of handling them. I would far rather see all of the above come to BHX, but if the costs of this infrastructure are prohibitive, then does muggins passenger end up paying for it, regardless of where they want to fly to?

And to add, it looks like BHX are now seeking involvement in the CVT Interim inquiry, over the airspace issue, despite surely knowing about any potential conflicts long before TOM started operations in March last year.

30W
4th Feb 2005, 12:34
BHXViscount,

I generally agree with you that NEMA will offer no greater benefit, AS LONG as BIA management is prepared to compete commercially against NEMA on issues such as operator fees.

First Choice are operating Florida, Cancun, and Dominican Republic from NEMA this summer. Yes, it has a longer runway for the 767-300, but given that due to their reconfig inside the max pax load is about 260.

This could have been lifted off BHX's current R/W direct to ALL of the destinations. Sadly BIA failed to compete cost wise for this business in comparison to NEMA, and hence the work has gone there. This even takes into account FCA has no Boeing crew at NEMA and will incur aditional costs/work days lost in getting crew there a day early to operate flights. BHX would have been self sufficient crew wise, but the NEMA offer is still far too attractive in comparison :ugh:

Jabord,

Well, until TOM actually started operating then the airspace issue was purely theoretical. Now it has been allowed an operational period, only then can the true problems be fully assesed - and yes, there are problems for BHX with the airspace issue as it stands!

30W

jabird
4th Feb 2005, 12:50
30w

Fine, if that is the case. Do they relate to SNN, ORK etc, or other destinations? And if so, why did Mr Heard not mention this in his letter to PINS of 18th Jan, in which he stated that not only did he have no concerns over the IPF, but that he was also worried about its implications for PDRs, which might affect all UK airports.

30W
4th Feb 2005, 14:51
Jabird,

Sorry, does what apply to SNN,CRK etc?

Not sure what you want me to answer. My response to you was regarding the airspace issue, and my previous comment was regarding the costs that BHX want to charge operators in comparison to NEMA.

I have no knowledge of SNN, CRK etc........sorry!!

30W

jabird
4th Feb 2005, 15:08
30W,

I was referring to ORK and SNN as destinations from CVT, where a/c are heading west. Most other CVT destinations are to the south, hence a/c tend to turn left fairly rapidly on departure. As you may well know, CVT did commission an "independent" report which declared that there were no airspace issues. To the best of my knowledge, the CAA have not raised a problem.

I'll admit that most people on this forum are far more qualified to talk about airspace matters than I am. However, my concerns are that these objections from BHX at this late hour are (1) more about competition concerns than airspace, and (2) rather unhelpful, as the inquiry was split in two specifially because this matter was seen as something to be more appropriate to discuss in relation to the permanent terminal.

Fried_Chicken
4th Feb 2005, 17:48
Well, until TOM actually started operating then the airspace issue was purely theoretical. Now it has been allowed an operational period, only then can the true problems be fully assesed - and yes, there are problems for BHX with the airspace issue as it stands!

Wondering off topic so appologies. As to the above, before Thomsonfly began ops from Coventry, there were (& still are) various executive aircraft & freighters (some of which are Jets) that pass through B'hams airspace either descending into or climbing out of Coventry. Surely any problems would have been picked up (as regards to airspace) BEFORE Thomsonfly started ops?

Fried Chicken

30W
4th Feb 2005, 17:49
jabird,

Ok, see where your coming from.

All departures off 23 at CVT impact on BHX. Not so much in the quieter winter, but very much so in the summer. There is an airspace issue, and that issue directly impacts BHX's customer airlines, and hence directly BHX as a business.

Not sure how SNN,CRK is routing, but the initial routing inside the BB zone is still an issue which effects BHX arrivals. Southbounds are the same, and DO delay BHX inbound flow. Often when CVT launches a southbound now, BHX can't get a 'straight in' onto 33. I would guess it takes me about 4mins more each time for that.

Having said that, under the airspace charter, CVT are EQUALLY entitled to use the airspace. No argument. However I do understand BHX wanting an input to the inqyuiry when CVT use materially effects it's business.

Also, BHX PAY NATS to manage the airspace around BHX. PAY NATS then have to provide equal access. Bit of a strange situation really!! CVT don't pay for the BHX ATC provision that they receive..........

30W

Daza
5th Feb 2005, 10:01
A close friend of mine who works at BHX for First Choice has said that pax loads on the new flights from NEMA have not been as good as they thought they would be. People who live in the West Midlands will fly with Thomson instead. NEMA is too remote to attract long haul services other than charter flights. BHX can charge premium because people want to fly city to city into and out of a major city. this is why BHX has BA,CO,AZ,EI,KL,AF,SN,LX,SK etc. The village of Castle Donnington can only attract low cost carriers. Time will tell if First Choice are able to make a success of flights to NEMA.
Daza

Mike16
5th Feb 2005, 10:09
Hi

Well i tried to book for the Dominican flight for this summers holiday and all flights were full, they had 1 date left but we could not get the holiday leave for then, so we booked for mexico and the same there, but did mange to get hold of one our dates, so we are of to cancun.The travel agent in Derby says the flights have been very popular as with the Egypt flight which BY operate, and apparently they BY and TCX are going to introduce A 2006 LH programme from EMA, they will probably wait and see how everything goes this summer with FCA.
I hope EMA do pull it off, they deserve it.

Bye

jabird
5th Feb 2005, 16:47
WW from BHX no longer mentioned on the SXF website. So have they pulled off, or have their PR reps been reading PPRUNE, and telling SXF not to say anything until an official announcement is made?

If ww like to "join the dots", could SXF work from any of their other bases, or would this be too much in EZs front yard?

runway14141414
7th Feb 2005, 20:42
This is an article off CH Aviation:

"Air France (AF/Paris CDG) will start up to six times daily service
between Paris CDG and Birmingham on March 27 using Cityjet
(WX/Dublin) BAe 146-200s. Flybe. (BE/Exeter) will give up the route
by the end of this winter timetable. This is the last route Flybe. is
operating under an Air France franchise agreement"

"Flybe. (BE/Exeter) is reportedly planning to add more routes from
Aberdeen to Birmingham, Exeter and Southampton later this year. It is
also considering launching new routes from Aberdeen to Norway and
Sweden and adding Inverness to its network"

"bmibaby (WW/East Midlands) is reportedly planning to start a new
route from Birmingham to Berlin Schoenefeld"

Suppose the key word is WW are
reportedly planning the route, nothing confirmed.

virginblue
7th Feb 2005, 21:17
"reportedly" in this context means that a BHX-SXF route has been, as mentioned above, fed into the computer at SXF and briefly appeared in their online schedules. Berlins' airports are somewhat notorious for prematurely releasing requested slots as new routes. I guess this has to do with the fact that SXF is about to become the third hub for Germanwings, bmi baby's German co-operation partner. This route made the round on various German forums from which ch-aviation lifts a fair amount of its content.

future_pilot17
8th Feb 2005, 20:36
Information taken from this link.........

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/02/09/stories/2005020902780300.htm

Flights to Birmingham : Meanwhile, AI plans to launch the Delhi-Birmingham-Toronto flight by mid-May. The airline proposes to utilise a Boeing 777 aircraft to operate on the route.
The Government had recently given permission to AI to operate thrice a week flight on the India-Birmingham sector.

Fried_Chicken
8th Feb 2005, 23:23
Yesterday Birmingham accepted some Thomsonfly diversions from Coventry, today around 6 BA flights diverted in from Heathrow. Have mangement/handling agents changed their policy as regards diversions as they used to turn them away

Fried Chicken

atco-matic
9th Feb 2005, 06:20
In June a couple of years back, I was sitting at Toronto in the departure lounge waiting for a BA flight back to LHR. At the next gate, the PIA A310 to BHX was being called for boarding. To ease the boredom, I decided to count the pax getting on it. Grand total 27. So why do Air India think they can make money on it?

runway14141414
9th Feb 2005, 21:26
VZ have dropped BHX-BCN, as of end April it's no longer on the booking system. This could leave the door open for WW or Monarch because apparently it was doing pretty well. I know several people who have used it and it has always been full.

Flightrider
9th Feb 2005, 21:56
BHX-BCN is being axed more for the fact that it is becoming impossible to get slots at BCN and MyTravel didn't have any workable BCN slots for the summer to continue the service.

Understand that the MYT Lite A320 fleet at BHX is reducing from three to two aircraft from May (a/c going back onto charters) and there are strong rumours that the operation is to disappear completely from the end of October.

30W
10th Feb 2005, 10:57
Flightrider,

Yes I've heard also from several sources that My Travel lite will cease to operate from the end of Summer 05.

Perhaps there period of reduced landing fees etc at BHX that they received as a start up operation has come to an end. Also, when it started the A320's used for it were on excellent lease deals. Post 9/11 Leasing companies were desperate to entice companies who were due to return aircraft, or sign new leases to keep their aircraft. As such deals were available for 'pay by the hour' rather than traditional fixed monthly fees. The market has now changed again, and these deals have faded away.

Perhaps a combination of the above raise overheads to such a level that My Travel as a corporation no longer wish to continue the 'Lite' product......

runway14141414
11th Feb 2005, 21:21
DEL-ATQ-BHX-YYZ flights showing on the AI website info pages but not on the destinations list yet. Surely the tickets will be on sale soon if its starting 15th May.

http://www.airindia.co.in/yatrik/servlet/olsRFIInfo?FlightNum=AI187&FlightDate=18MAY0

Times are :

AI187: DEL 1015
ATQ 1110 1225
BHX 1715 1845
YYZ 2115

AI188: YYZ 2330
BHX 1110+1 1230+1
ATQ 0125+2 0240+2
DEL 0335+2

jabird
11th Feb 2005, 22:22
runway14141414,

The link you posted does seem to be active, and as you say, BHX is not in the drop down menus.

I could only find a route map showing London as being up near Belfast, and EWR and JFK further away from each other than MOL could ever imagine in his wildest dreams! This made the White Paper map drawers (who had Dubai in the middle of Afghanistan) look positively accurate!

Correction: Seems like the 5 (as in MAY05) got chopped off. Try:

http://www.airindia.co.in/yatrik/servlet/olsRFIInfo?FlightNum=AI187&FlightDate=18MAY05 - but it may well time out.

BHXviscount
15th Feb 2005, 14:44
atco-matic. As to your point on AI making a profit
on the YYZ sector you have to take into account that there is a larger Indian population around Toronto then Pakistani and alot of them sikhs, Amritsar being in the sikh Punjabi region, the Golden Temple etc etc. plus the large Birmingham Indian population...

BHXviscount

Caslance
15th Feb 2005, 19:05
I agree. This seems to be very shrewd business by Air India, and they've clearly done their homework.

Good luck to them, I say.

runway14141414
15th Feb 2005, 20:57
In tonights Evening Mail it says flybe will be adding Limogas, Bordeaux and rennes for the summer and Aberdeen, Inverness likely to start autumn. Didn't mention any start dates/ frequencies dont know if anyone has any more info?

Ian Farquharson
16th Feb 2005, 19:04
Air India its official !

http://www.airindia.com/article.asp?articleid=271

Ian

LGWAlan
17th Feb 2005, 11:36
Above link is deader than a dodo

future_pilot17
17th Feb 2005, 12:20
The link works fine for me but you are right, sometimes the Air India website just doesn't load for some reason. This is what the link would lead you too.....

NEW SERVICES TO BIRMINGHAM/TORONTO SOON

Air India is commencing thrice-weekly services to Toronto via Birmingham effective 15th May 2005. These flights will be operated with B777-ER aircraft ex India and ex Toronto on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays on the routing Delhi/Amritsar/Birmingham/Toronto and vice versa.

Alternativley go to the Air India website and look at the news scroller thing on the right of the screen or just go to the link at the top "About Us" then scroll down to "News" and "Press Releases".Either way this is great news:ok: :cool: , nothing has yet appeared on the BHX website.

Ian Farquharson
18th Feb 2005, 12:05
Some bad news for a change !

Skyways are to disconintue their twice daily Stockholm services at the end of March.

Ian

BHXviscount
25th Feb 2005, 18:50
BHX's High level statement of intent

the runway extension will be 400 meters with a starter strip of 150 meters. Does anyone know whether this 150 meter starter strip is in addition to the 400 meter extension or is included in it??

BHXviscount

Ian Farquharson
1st Mar 2005, 08:46
Birmingham International Airport (BIA) welcomed news that India’s flagship carrier, Air India, will launch direct scheduled services between Birmingham, India and Canada from Sunday 15th May 2005. Birmingham will be the airline’s only UK base outside London. The service, which originates in Delhi, will provide the only direct scheduled service between Amritsar, Birmingham and Toronto.

The flight schedule will be as follows: • Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays - Arrive into Birmingham from Delhi & Amritsar at 17:15. Depart from Birmingham for Toronto at 18:45 • Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays – Arrive into Birmingham from Toronto at 11:10. Depart Birmingham for Amritsar & Delhi at 12:30.

Peter Vella, BIA’s Business Development Director, said: “This is great news for BIA and the whole region. This will be our 12th long haul scheduled destination and will open up a whole new range of opportunities for people wanting to reach Canada, India and beyond from the Midlands.

“Although the range of services and destinations from Birmingham are growing annually, we still only handle around 50% of the potential regional market. It is therefore excellent news that Air India has chosen to set up its second UK base in Birmingham, a development which has the potential demand for further growth in the future.”

Captain A.K Sharma, Regional Director UK & Europe for Air India commented, “We are thrilled to have this opportunity to serve three major demand centres and connect people throughout India with the UK and Canada. We believe there is a large market for these routes, particularly from those wanting to easily reach friends and relatives in India and Canada from the Midlands, and we also expect the business and leisure traveller in all three centres to benefit from our operation. We very much look forward to working with Birmingham Airport, and I’m sure this will be the start of a very successful partnership.”

The airline will operate a Boeing 777-200 aircraft on the Birmingham route, which holds 284 passengers in a mixed configuration. Fares start from £299 to India and £110 to Toronto plus taxes. Bookings can be made by calling the airline’s reservations number on 020 8560 9996, and Air India’s consolidators/travel agents.

CLOSE WINDOW

Fried_Chicken
1st Mar 2005, 20:23
A Jordan Aviation A310 arrived at Birmingham this evening from Amman, departs tomorrow morning. Possibly a Hadj visitor?

FC

Fried_Chicken
9th Mar 2005, 21:10
I've heard that SAS are to replace Skyways on ARN-BHX, anybody confirm?

Presumably we'll have the usual Irish charters soon for Cheltenham

Fried Chicken

MarkBHX
9th Mar 2005, 21:39
SAS to Stockholm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays with dash8-400s

Looks like a good summer ahead for BHX!

Mark

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
9th Mar 2005, 22:59
Only 3 days a week against daily sounds like a backward step to me

G-I-B

jabird
10th Mar 2005, 00:21
What is the point of any serious European city route only doing 3x per week?

If this is within range of the Q400, couldn't Flybe look at this sort of destination, as they would offer low enough fares to fill at least a daily service. Not to mention numerous other cities in that direction they could serve. Presumably any SAS interlining from BHX goes via CPH? Also, could BE go into Bromma, or is that restricted to domestic only?

runway14141414
15th Mar 2005, 19:06
More good news for BHX although its not yet confirmed:

IA seeks to operate to Birmingham, Manchester

PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Posted online: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 1423 hours IST

NEW DELHI, MARCH 15: Indian Airlines has sought permission to
operate four flights per week to Birmingham and three to Manchester
from December, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said on Tuesday.

"Indian Airlines has already been designated for operations in UK.
IA has only requested for permission to operate four flights per
week to Birmingham and three flights per week to Manchester
effective December, 2005," he said in a written reply to a question
in Rajya Sabha

Fried_Chicken
22nd Mar 2005, 22:31
On a visit yesterday, I noticed Stand 40 was closed & building work going on, any reason why?

Fried Chicken

Call Established
23rd Mar 2005, 10:33
Extension of dep lounge, they are bringing it further out

jabird
23rd Mar 2005, 15:18
Does anyone have updated status for Flywho and Midland Airways?

330-Purser
23rd Mar 2005, 18:10
Does anyone have updated status for Flywho

See the thread on cabin crew forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163980&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)

Looks like Flywho have either gone bust or have stopped taking bookings and delayed start of operations yet again.

As for Midland Airways, they dont seem to be running anymore. I think the 767 they were using in co-operation with Slovak is still impounded at BHX, although its been moved and having engine tests so I hear.

future_pilot17
23rd Mar 2005, 19:11
bmibaby is increasing the frequency on BFS-BHX

http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news.asp?id=143

:ok:

ALLMCC
24th Mar 2005, 08:32
Probably a reaction to suggestions on another thread that Flybe will be using 737s on selected BHX/BHD/BHX rotations - even at 3X weekdays WW still someway short of Flybe's 7X on weekdays from BHD.

BHXviscount
24th Mar 2005, 20:41
Midland Airways 767 moved to free up stand as flybe's 737's and also BMIbaby have another or 2(not sure?) 737 arriving this weekend

BHXviscount

runway14141414
25th Mar 2005, 20:44
Probably no suprise but found this post from the C.E.O. posted yesterday:

Flywho Ceo Here Again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

Hi.

I would like to ensure that the record is set straight regarding the
various messages on this and other forums that speak of us having
CEASED TRADING. I appreciate that word is going round about our
status and I will clarify that in a moment, but this statement is NOT
TRUE. I am especially troubled to read posts that refer to calls
purportedly from us and telling this news. We have made no such calls.

A BRIEF EXPLANATION

After the troubles of 2004, we felt it necessary to protect
passengers who wanted to take a chance on a booking with us by
pairing up with a large ATOL bonded sales agent. This agent would
actually have the legal charge of chartering all our flights. It
would be their tickets you would have purchased when booking with us.

Regrettably, when the time came for us to deposit the first non-
refundable $1m on the first aircraft, the ATOL agent cried off the
deal claiming all kinds of issues were still unresolved. That is
unquestionably true. We had no satisfactory account why they had not
actually established the computer reservations system and begun
taking payments on the dates agreed. These significant issues were
indeed doing us no good and we had to call a halt.

So despite the disappointments once again, we felt it necessary to
call a halt to the Florida programme for the foreseeable future WHILE
we get our ducks in a row and actually start to operate. Only THEN
will we tell you about it!

==================================================
==========================
We have made arrangements to re-accommodate every single passenger
who had booked with us, and those flights were secure. We will be
happy to hear from anyone who has not been so advised as we can still
secure your travel if you move fast. Call me directly if you need
further help on this matter. I am available through our reservation
number on 0870 11 22 767.
==================================================
==========================

I do have to say that we have been saddened to see how people can be
so quick to condemn us when they have no idea what is involved in
this venture.

I had actually considered offering £200,000 per annum to anyone who
can do a better job than me to get this venture started when you have
to raise the money yourself, develop the team, establish the
transatlantic relationships, establish secure ATOL protection,
develop a trade and direct sales team with systems and a distribution
network, train that team, create the aircraft lease fund, find the
aircraft and contract that, establish USA license approvals (dept of
trade, dept of transport, CAA and US lawyers!), engage approved
maintenance contractors and managers, flight deck team, cabin crew
team, design and make the uniforms, the lit and print, the catering
package, develop the staff training programme, field calls from
complaining people, deal with the BBC, the national and travel press
and the local papers too, hire staff to help build this, relate to
local and foreign suppliers, attend dinners and speak at most of them
and then deal with letters of complaint from people who think you
should have phoned them back a little sooner!!!

This is only a scratch on the surface of my week. Poor old me!

FlyBlu/who has been a genuine attempt to bring a little more style
and comfort to your otherwise `hard work' Florida travel experience.
We invested huge sums in this effort (it would make you weep I
promise) but we still missed the target simply because we tried too
hard to secure your position and to ensure the product was perfect
before we delivered it.

We will continue to work on this and continue to look forward to
launching this service, but for the time being I feel I cannot even
consider giving any indication when that will be.

Thank you for your support, and for your hope.

Aden and the team.

jabird
27th Mar 2005, 13:49
I've got to give Flywho credit for being so "honest", but do they really expect anyone to have any faith in them?

It was a bold idea, but I think for the wrong market at the wrong time. I can think of ways this concept might work - perhaps 35" instead of 38? Would have to start from London, where there are more people around who are prepared to pay a little extra - LTN is still near the shires, and could be "fed" by EZ etc - if they were to ever offer any kind of connection promise (oops, I know that's an old chestnut).

Arriving into BHX this a/n, an airbridge was fixed to the a/c, then we were bussed round to baggage reclaim. Are there some works going on in the main terminal, or is this Flybe's latest version of no-frills/full frills hybrid?

Fried_Chicken
27th Mar 2005, 18:47
Arriving into BHX this a/n, an airbridge was fixed to the a/c, then we were bussed round to baggage reclaim. Are there some works going on in the main terminal, or is this Flybe's latest version of no-frills/full frills hybrid?

or possibly arriving passengers bussed to terminal, departing passengers use the airbridge if segregation can't be kept to in the terminal?

Fried Chicken

Ian Farquharson
9th Apr 2005, 20:03
The following article from the Birmingham Evening Mail

Birmingham is set to benefit from a massive boost in tourists from Germany
when the country's biggest low cost airline starts its first Midland flights
next week.

Germanwings will fly every day except Saturday between Birmingham and
Cologne - and intends to make its flights twice daily from the end of the
summer.

It's also good news for Birmingham holidaymakers and businessmen heading for
Germany - with the airline selling seats from £13 one-way, including taxes.

Germanwings already operates into Stansted and Gatwick and both regions have
seen boosts in German visitors with around 300,000 flying into the London
airports last year.

Andreas Engel, the company's director of international public relations,
said a photograph of Birmingham's Selfridges store had appeared in numerous
magazines and newspapers in Germany in recent weeks and there was a great
deal of interest in visiting the city.

"Because of the interest in this service both in Birmingham and Cologne we
anticipate having an 80 per cent load factor. On the back of this we expect
to launch the service twice a day in due course."

He said the new service would use 142 and 150-seater Airbus jets - far
bigger than any aircraft currently flying between Birmingham and Germany.

"Other airlines use 50-seater regional jets which businessmen hate," Mr
Engel added.

"We wanted to launch a new service to Birmingham because it is one of the
top 10 catchment areas in Europe and we anticipate good seat sales."

Most of the airline's seats are sold on the internet and sales for the
Birmingham service are looking good.

Avman
9th Apr 2005, 21:28
Already booked three roundtrips for peanuts. Though only once daily at present, the timings are perfect for me. Worried they might change when they go twice daily. I've used GWI before and I like them. CGN is also a nice airport to fly from. I hope they do well.

phil_2405
9th Apr 2005, 23:05
The easyJet service to CGN from NEMA seems to do well so there is obviously demand for services (from both ends of the route I suspect).

Ian Farquharson
11th Apr 2005, 21:28
Birmingham International Airport (BIA) handled 658,269 passengers in March,
a slight fall of 1.2% on the same month last year. Despite the overall fall,
charter traffic grew by 5.7% during the month as tour operators increased
capacity from Birmingham for the Easter period, which fell earlier this year
than usual. The most popular charter destinations were Cyprus (+123.9%),
Bulgaria (+68.7%), Austria (+61.7%), Switzerland (+15.3%), France (+14.5%)
and Italy (+7.2%). Although the number of scheduled passengers fell by 2.9%
overall during March, growth was achieved on transatlantic routes which
experienced a 34.1% rise, on domestic services which grew by 6.7%, and on
flights to Asia which saw an increase of 4.9%.
Other scheduled routes which saw a rise in traffic over the month were,
Prague (+127.8%), Larnaca (+93.7%), Milan (+71.5%), Bratislava (+19.7%),
Edinburgh (18.8%), Amsterdam (+18%), Munich (+9.5%) and Zurich (+7.7%).
Scheduled traffic accounted for 79.6% of the total March figure while
charter passengers made up the remaining 20.4%.

jabird
11th Apr 2005, 21:49
OK, so no leap years to blame like last month, and they've had 11 months to recover from the collapse of Duo. Despite baby's new hub, numbers are still down?

Some numbers aren't adding up at BHX, and you can't blame CVT for all of that!

Fried_Chicken
11th Apr 2005, 22:28
Were PIA operating more flights last March (the Pakistan-BHX flights + the ones that carried on to the US/Canada that now go via Manchester)? These are quite full each time, there was also the loss of the 6x weekly Skyways flight to Stockholm, the Swiss flights to Basle & the collapse of Midland Airways in March

Fried Chicken

Daza
12th Apr 2005, 09:12
The reason passengers are still falling is because of MytravelLITEs reduction of its winter programme compaired to last year. Most of its sunshine routes were daily they are now just a few times per week. BHX has fallen victim of an struggling Mytravel. April should return an increase with the 4th BMI Baby aircraft and the big Flybe increase plus later this summer the 2x daily Emirates and Air India.
P.S. Basle no longer functioned as a transit stop for Swiss hence its demise and SK are taking over ARN this month
Daza

Bagso
12th Apr 2005, 12:20
PIA was only a temporary measure, this was due to 747 being taken off BHX due heavy maintenance, this necessitated the switch of some MAN flights to continue capacity.....

I think the original plan was for PIA to revert back to the original prog' ie Back to Manchester when complete !

Fried_Chicken
12th Apr 2005, 16:40
and SK are taking over ARN this month

But only 3x a week against Skyways 6x a week

Presumably the DHC8Q-400 used by SAS is slightly slower than the ERJ145 used by Skyways

Fried Chicken

runway14141414
21st Apr 2005, 20:15
Mentioned in the Birmingham Post business section today, Air India plans to increase the number of flights from BHX to possibly daily as soon they can, this was mentioned by their Chairman & Managing Director of Air India.

Fried_Chicken
21st Apr 2005, 20:50
Whats wrong with the Sunair flight from Billund, since it started a couple weeks ago, its regulary delayed by an hour or so? Doesn't give a great impression!

FC

runway14141414
25th Apr 2005, 19:36
Just booking a flight to DXB with emirates on-line and every date i've tried all through the year only shows EK 39/40 no mention of EK 37/38 also Sabre are showin zero availability right up until Feb 06. I have called emirates and they are saying these flights are simply full everyday outbound and return (very doubtful). I know EK have postponed some european destinations due to lack of aircraft but not BHX again!!! Anyone know any more info?

BHX_SLF
25th Apr 2005, 22:24
....... and also notice that from the winter 2005/06 timetable, the remaining single daily departure is back to a 772.

Is it only in the airline industry where you are legally allowed to sell something that doesn't exist ! I have friends who had their travel plans disrupted the last time Emirates sold "tickets of fiction" on the 2nd daily flight that never materialised.

The non-running of this flight can be very inconvenient when you are using it to connect to the Far East/Australia, as when you are rebooked you may find the alternative connecting flight at DXB is already fully booked (as happened in this case).

I do hope that Emirates don't make the same decision again.

Centre cities
25th Apr 2005, 22:38
Last time is a LHR slot this time aircraft shortage has been mentioned.

I thought airlines has planning departments.

Perhaps as this may have happened twice the sales were not upto expectations.

It also happened with the Gulf Traveller.

I wonder if Air India will find an excuse.

Centre cities

Scottie Dog
26th Apr 2005, 07:23
Just looked in Sabre myself and both flights showing available for selective dates I have tried in December, January and March. Admitably I have not applied any filters, so I am looking at any fare type. Possibly you have been too choosy in the fares level you have asked for??

runway14141414
26th Apr 2005, 21:40
It's all back to normal on emirates.com and on amadeus etc must have been a strange glitch in the booking system. Just strange how when I called them they said all flights were full everyday in all classes but now are bookable again!:confused:

runway14141414
28th Apr 2005, 20:37
Slightly off the topic but does anyone know why EK 38/37 is not operating throughout August. Advert for the second daily flight today in the B'ham Post and at the bottom its says not available 1st - 31st August and can't book on the site either.

ATNotts
29th Apr 2005, 08:18
Only a guess, and could be wide of the mark, but it's extremely hot in India during August, and historically loads are poor for the VFR business from UK to India at that time. So it is possible that capacity is cut to reflect demand during August.

Of course, business traffic tends to be a bit slack during August too.

As the ad. in question also refers to Australia, is it possible it's the onward connection that a non-op?

BHXviscount
1st May 2005, 22:04
EK have aircraft shortages for AUG apparently..............

BHXviscount.

future_pilot17
4th May 2005, 21:47
From today's Birmingham Post.....

Emirates seeks IPO to expand

May 4 2005

By Steve Pain, Deputy Business Editor

Dubai's Emirates airline - due to launch its second daily service from Birmingham on June 1 and already hinting at the possibility of a third flight - is considering an initial public offering to help its rapid expansion.

But the government of fast growing Dubai has yet to make a decision, the company's chairman said yesterday.

"We have one new aircraft coming every month for the next five to six years and that takes a lot of financing," said Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum, chairman of state-owned Emirates Group.

"Whether we do an IPO is a decision for the government of Dubai. We are always thinking about it, but we haven't taken a firm decision.

"It's something we have looked at, but I am waiting for the owner to make any final decision," Sheikh Ahmed added.

Meanwhile, Tim Clark, Emirates' president, has strongly hinted the carrier would be interested in launching a third service from Birmingham International - but warned that the airport would first need to improve its terminal facilities.

Mr Clark, who lives in Barnt Green, has already hammered home his message to executives at BIA, telling them that in addition to a longer runway, Emirates would like to to see terminal facilities capable of handling aircraft able to carry more than 400 passengers.

Currently the airline operates Boeing 777-200 airliners out of Birmingham. But if the demand is there, Mr Clark said it could consider flying the larger Boeing 777-300 Extended Range version of the airliner, able to carry 423 passengers in a business/economy configuration.

"We hope that the airport will be developed and would like to see a longer runway - but I can certainly understand the sensitivities surrounding that," he said.

However, he believes Birmingham Airport's terminal facilities are now "creaking at at the seams" with departure lounges designed to house just 100 people - far too small for today's requirements.

"We really do need to see something bigger," added Mr Clark.

"Because I can see a third daily service out of Birmingham and I think others could well do the same. If it is a potent argument for us, it will be potent for other people."

If it is able to expand, BIA could take advantage of "enormous opportunities" at the expense of Heathrow, he said.

"Passengers from Plymouth, Exeter and South Wales say it is much easier to fly from Birmingham.

"And it is fact that Taunton to Birmingham is 20 minutes less than to Heathrow," he said.

Emirates last week reported a 48.7 per cent rise in net profits to £335.2 million for the year to the end of March, while total revenue increased 36 per cent to £3 billion.

It is owned by the government of Dubai, a regional tourism and trade hub which is part of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates, and is taking 45 of the new Airbus A380 superjumbo aircraft.

Link:Birmingham Post (http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birminghampost/business/tm_objectid=15476809%26method=full%26siteid=50002%26headline =emirates%2dseeks%2dipo%2dto%2dexpand-name_page.html)

ACE Dispatcher
7th May 2005, 05:03
For those that are interested todays EK flight into Birmingham (07 May) is a 777-300 ER! A6-EBC.
I believe this maybe the first visit of this type to the UK?

Rgds ACE.

jabird
12th May 2005, 00:10
Figures out still showing a decline for April, compared to '04. Now this is the first month to compare against the return of pax flights from CVT, and it doesn't look good for our bigger neighbour.

Since last year, Duo may have gone, but BE have based 737s, we've had a massive new baby base, and a few more trips to the sun on Monarch scheduled.

Baby have been saying that they've put lots of bums on seats, but some how this maths doesn't seem to be adding up.

Could any of the brum insiders explain?

Ian Farquharson
15th May 2005, 14:19
Air India new three times per week Delhi-Amritsar-Birmingham-Toronto service today, Boeing 772 VT-AIK arrived a few minutes early !

It is expected that this service will do daily very soon.

Ian

Sorry should read VT-AIJ !

BHX_SLF
15th May 2005, 14:41
If I remember correctly DUO ceased operating on 1st May 2004. So that said, April 2004 would still include DUO passenger numbers, so the impact of DUO's demise will show in the BHX passenger figures until April 2005.

Now May's figures will be interesting as these should show a notable improvement year on year as May 2004 was very poor.

We are a few weeks away from finding out.

BHXviscount
15th May 2005, 19:02
Jabird- MYTlite are and have been cutting back for a while now so the increases in Flybe and BMIbabys figures will be offset somewhat. I suspect the 'lite' brand will disappear within 12 months but with monarch looking like they will do a real job then I don't forsee any more drops in fact it looks like a very good summer ahead..........:ok: :O

BHXviscount

Dirtbox
20th May 2005, 21:05
Apologies if this doesn't belong in this thread -

I've checked out the brum intl website looking for some info on bacx routes from there:

Destinations
Aberdeen, Barcelona, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Geneva, Glasgow, Hamburg, Hanover, Lyon, Madrid, Milan Malpensa, Nice, Paris (Charles De Gaulle), Rome, Stuttgart, Vienna

Is there anyone out there that might know which a/c goes to which destination or where I might find this out?

Cheers

sorry - should say which a/c type rather than individual planes!

Fried_Chicken
21st May 2005, 00:01
Dirtbox,
I believe (haven't checked so may not be 100% accurate) the information below to be correct, lists aircraft type & then destinations served with tat particular aircraft type.

ERJ145 - Aberdeen, Glasgow, Hamburg, Hannover, Lyon, Nice, Vienna

AVRO RJ100 - Barcelona, Geneva, Madrid, Rome

ERJ145 & RJ100 - Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris, Stuttgart

Fried chicken

Dirtbox
21st May 2005, 09:42
Thanks for the info Fried Chicken - much appreciated!

we_never_change
1st Jun 2005, 16:17
I've recently heard a rumour that Euromanx are to take over the daily IOM-BHX flight from Flybe with a Dornier328. The flight will be codeshared between Euromanx & Flybe (in the same way the London City route is) & thus, FlyBE will no longer operate any flights to the Isle of Man

WNC

FlyboyUK
2nd Jun 2005, 08:03
Fried_Chicken / Dirtbox

The RJ100 also does Glasgow

Regards

FlyboyUK :ok:

Fried_Chicken
2nd Jun 2005, 18:32
Any news on how Emirates are doing now they have gone double daily?Good future bookings for both flights?

FC

RealFish
2nd Jun 2005, 22:28
An Emirates spokesman in last week's B'ham Post said that there is the potential for a THIRD daily flight.

He cited BHX's position as more favourable than LHR for people from the West Country, for example.

He did go on to say that BHX needed to get on with the job of runway and terminal extensions, however.

critical winge
3rd Jun 2005, 14:42
Emirates flying double daily to BHX may be back to 1 a day when new 5th slot at LHR is avail in Aug.

future_pilot17
3rd Jun 2005, 14:57
Emirates flying double daily to BHX may be back to 1 a day when new 5th slot at LHR is avail in Aug.

Emirates have already let it be known that the service is going back to a one daily 772 for August 05.