PDA

View Full Version : Problems getting access to pprune using McAfee

P1 Forever
3rd Dec 2004, 15:09
Hi all,

Firstly, my computer was invaded the other evening by a hacker, changed all the settings around so that each time I connected to the web I was connecting to a premium rate line. Checked my BT bill online and so I ran up a bill for £58 in one evening!!!!

BT say they are not liable for the calls so it looks like I will have to fork out the £58, sad but glad it's not £580 or even more!!!

Anyway, I have cleaned up my PC, restored it to factory settings and installed McAfee internet security suite. However, the problem I have is when a ppruner directs me to a website, for example quote, " you will find all the info here www.ppjn.com ," when I click on it nothing happens????

Can anyone help me out here as I do not want to uninstall McAfee and be open to hackers but at the same time I want FULL access to pprune.

Thank you for your time,

Regards,

P1

Front_Seat_Dreamer
3rd Dec 2004, 21:46
P1

Firstly it was probably not a 'hacker' that took over your machine but most likely a downloaded ActiveX file (program) or similar that changed your internet settings.

I agree that you probably don't want to run for more than 3 seconds these days without a security suite guarding your machine but it may be your only option. If you can isolate your PC from the internet and uninstall then reinstall that may help.

If the rest of your machine is working then try right clicking on the shortcut and choose open in new window which is how pprune links work anyway.

How much time do you spend online? It may be worth getting a broadband connection installed then no more problems with rogue diallers.

Other things you may want to consider is running a firewall on your machine to stop nasty intruders.

FSD

P1 Forever
3rd Dec 2004, 22:05
Hello,

thanks very much for the reply FSD,

Yes I just found out how to disable the security about 20 minutes ago so I am quite pleased as I don't know very much about computers and the phone bill was quite a shock. I have since had the phone line barred from premium rate lines so it shouldn't happen again.

Cheers!!