PDA

View Full Version : Continental GLA-EWR

BALIX
3rd Dec 2004, 15:05
Seems that next summer's GLA-EWR flights will be operated by the 757. This seems a big step down from this summer's service which used a 764. :(

I was impressed with Continental when I used the service in October. Am I likely to be less impressed if I use the service next summer? I notice a number of 757 services to regional airports are starting or have started - are Continental specially fitting out a number of 757s for transatlantic operation?

One last thing, why do they operate two 757s to BHX every day? Would it not make sense to operate one larger aircraft :confused: :confused:

Scottie
3rd Dec 2004, 16:10
I belive EDI is getting the 767 next summer, us posh EastCoasters don't like slumming it on single isle aircraft ;) ;)

billyg
3rd Dec 2004, 17:07
Both GLA and EDI are down for a 752 next summer. Other info suggests that GLA will in fact be the 764 again due to projected cargo loads!

GoEDI
3rd Dec 2004, 17:17
All sorts have been mentioned regarding CO in Scotland next summer.

1) EDI getting upgraded to a B767

2) Although the website says otherwise, the B764 will remain at GLA next summer.

3) EWR-EDI 10x weekly and EWR-GLA 11x weekly with the B752.

4) EDI-GLA-EWR(!)

Believe what you want. As always, time will tell.

Daza
3rd Dec 2004, 17:23
CO are commencing BRS, BFS, HAM, ARN, and TXL all with 757s if EDI, GLA and BHX (with its 2x daily services) where are all these transatlantic config 757s coming from? Does anyone have any ideas how many EROPS 757s CO have??
Daza

BHXviscount
3rd Dec 2004, 22:59
Balix- 2 daily 757 was what BHX wanted- frequency over larger aircraft

BHXviscount

BALIX
3rd Dec 2004, 23:47
All interesting stuff which leaves me none the wiser :uhoh:

I hope they stick with the 767 - I know it is hardly a representative sample but the two flights I was on were pretty full. I've read bad reports of the 757 as a transatlantic aircraft, though if it means an airport getting a direct service to NYC it has to be better than nothing.

Time will tell I guess... :confused:

ATNotts
4th Dec 2004, 10:23
The fact the 767 was full is only half of the story. The other half is what the yield was like.

It's absolutely futile filling a larger aircraft with cheeper PAX, when you can get more revenue (and hopefully) profit filling the smaller one by not having to dump so many cheep seats on the market.

It's all down to economics.

jabird
4th Dec 2004, 12:07
BHXviscount,

Frequency is fine, but why so close together. Spread out at different times would be more useful, surely?

BALIX
4th Dec 2004, 13:22
The fact the 767 was full is only half of the story. The other half is what the yield was like.

I'm aware of that. I also know that it is the buisness/first class passengers at the front who, in effect, pay for the plebs in the back on long haul flights. It was, though, my experience that it was significantly more expensive to fly direct to EWR with Continental than take an indirect route with any one of a number of other airlines. I'm only guessing but I would expect the yield from the economy PAX to be greater than those other airlines for that GLA-NYC route, especially as they don't have to finance connecting flights.

All of which is going off track a bit. I just hope that CO make the 757s suitable for transatlantic travel if indeed that is what they put on the route.

1DC
4th Dec 2004, 14:30
To answer your question!

I have flown in the back and front of Continentals transatlantic 757's and the comfort level was just as good as a 767.
IMHO Continental are easily the best American airline, for quality, service and value. (and no I have never worked for them!!)

Bagso
4th Dec 2004, 16:47
..and don't forget Manchester with a second 757...complimenting the 777.

BALIX
5th Dec 2004, 21:07
1DC

Thanks for that - I'll stop worrying about it :ok: And I agree with your comments on Continental - in my admitedly limited experience, they are streets ahead of AA and DL in terms of service.

DC10FAN
5th Dec 2004, 21:46
IMO the B757s are not as good as the B767s for 4 reasons:

1. If you want to have a walk around; it's always easier on a twin aisle a/c.
2. Seating config is better on 767 imo ie. You're never more than 1 seat from an aisle. In a window seat on a 757, you may have to ask 2 people to move to get to the aisle.
3. IMO the most significant advantage of the B767 is the inflight entertainment system. All seats have PTVs. The 757s have old ceiling mounted TVs.
4. Overhead bins much bigger on 767s. The CO 767-200s were the first to be built with a newer interior design as launched on the B767-400.