PDA

View Full Version : Copying Protected DVD's for Dummies

whiz
3rd Dec 2004, 12:53
Is it possible for someone to give me step by step instructions on how to do it please? I've downloaded DVD Decoder and use Nero. Thanks in advance.

timmcat
3rd Dec 2004, 15:20
Use DVD Shrink instead. Their site has a lot of guidance, and the program uses your Nero installation automatically to burn the DVD.

Site here. (http://www.dvdshrink.org/)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Dec 2004, 14:47
whiz,

Both DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.com/) and DVD Shrink (http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html) give tutorials in their forums on how to use them. DVD Decrypter will burn for you. (Do not use Nero with it.)

Take Care,

Richard

whiz
16th Dec 2004, 13:06
Timmcat, Mr Naples,

Thanks for your replies, but Im still having problems

DVD decrypter decrypts it and saves it to a folder on the hard drive but I can't get it from there onto the DVD.
You said that DVD Decrypter will also burn it but I can't find how. Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance

timmcat
16th Dec 2004, 14:34
Although I have DVDdecrypter, I usually use DVD shrink and this certainly will burn automatically (providing you have a reasonably up to date version of Nero on your machine).

englishal
16th Dec 2004, 14:48
DVD shrink is excellent. Once you have the files on the hard disk, start Nero and tell it you want to make a DVD video, then drag the files copied via DVD Shrink into the Video_ts folder in Nero and burn as normal.

Remember you may have to remove some of the extras / additional sound tracks / other rubbish as DVD movies are dual layer, and so they *probably* won't fit onto a "normal" DVD.

maxell
16th Dec 2004, 14:48
whiz
the folder it has stored the dvd in should have two folder inside it audio-ts and video-ts
use nero wizard and follow through burning a video dvd locate the two folders audio and video -ts and drag and drop them into the burn side of nero over the two folders of the same name in there then just burn it

note the audio-ts folder is normaly empty but you need to drag it across aswell

max

spannersatcx
16th Dec 2004, 15:35
Also note that it should be in caps and seperated by an under score VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, if not done as such then you may (only may) get problems trying to play them back on some DVD players, this is the standard recognised format for the folder names.

Koyo
16th Dec 2004, 19:52
These are the steps that I use.

9 gig disk to 4.7 gig disk (dual layer to single layer)

1. Decrypt disk using DVD Decrypter in File mode
2. Use DVD Shrink and open the folder where the decrypted files are located.
3. Either reauthor or full disk back up (you can use DVD Shrink to remove regional locks and other useless menus, extras, voice over, and subtitles).
4. Put in blank DVD, and press Back up

Disk to Disk copy (1:1 copy)

1. Use DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode.
2. Put in blank media when finish copying.
3. Use DVD Decrypter in ISO write mode, point to where the ISO image is and burn.

With DVD Decrypter you shouldn't even need to use NERO.

BEagle
16th Dec 2004, 19:54
When you say you wish to copy 'protected DVDs', do you mean make copies of genuine pre-recorded DVDs?

Why would you wish to do this - unless to make a pirate copy of a legitimate DVD?

Koyo
16th Dec 2004, 19:57
The only other reason is to remove to stupid regional lock on the DVD you purchased in another country. Bugs the hell out of me that I can't play Asian DVD on my North American PS2 unless I chip it or play on my computer's DVD-rom, which I have patched to remove the stupid regional lock.

BEagle
16th Dec 2004, 20:01
Which is surely making a pirate copy of a legitimate DVD? Getting rid of that stupid region lock by making your equipment 'multi-region' so that you can view DVDs which you obtained from a reputable source on your own equipment is one thing, making pirate DVD copies is quite another.

Koyo
16th Dec 2004, 20:05
Not to sure about the exact legal wording but it could be possible. I don't know if you're allow to have a back up copy of the origanial if you purchased it. Then again I seriously doubt the copyright wording allow you to strip the regional locks. May be lock and delete this thread is a good idea. Don't want the site owner get in trouble, even tho you can get all these info on the Internet anyway.

timmcat
16th Dec 2004, 21:35
BEagle , with respect sir, did you ever record a vinyl audio album onto cassette?

BEagle
16th Dec 2004, 22:20
For my own benefit to play in my own car in accordance with MCPS policies - yes. About 20 years ago. But what is being suggested here is analagous to making a direct copy of one record from another.

Bootleg, pirate, counterfeit CDs, DVDs - and software - just make things more and more expensive for those of us who are honest.

englishal
17th Dec 2004, 08:42
just make things more and more expensive for those of us who are honest.
Not really. Although I would never condone making an illegal copy, generally individuals who copy disks, whether programs, videos or PS2 games wouldn't have bought the original anyway. So in other words the software (in the case of software)manufacturer is getting more exposure but not actually loosing any profits, and possibly increasing profits as a direct result of the exposure ("My company needs a good web authoring tool, what would you recommend?"...."I recomend you get Macromedia Dreamweaver, I've used it before and its great").

I think that copying is part of "evolution". It will always be around and has always been around, I remember copying BBC Micro games at school in the 80's (old git :D), and hasn't suddenly become an epidemic as the media would have you believe.

Just my own humble opinion based upon several decades of observations :}

Cheers

PPRuNe Pop
17th Dec 2004, 13:18
It has to be said that making copies is illegal - full stop.

What people DO do though is make copies of rented DVD's which is a grey area I am told. In that such copies are thus accepted if for your own 'personal use' as is copying CD's, audio tapes and VCR tapes - also 'for personal use only.' I believe DVD Shrink was bought to court in the USA and was given the OK providing it was for PU. However, I cannot claim to be 100% certain of the legalities.

But..............and I am sure of this..........PPRuNe must never be used for the purpose of advising others how to make a copy from a DVD, or anything else for that matter, for anyone other than yourself. We DO have a rule for that and you won't like it. Your own rule in that regard should be to avoid voicing it on here.

PPP

Evo
17th Dec 2004, 14:02
OK folks, the damage or otherwise caused by piracy is an old argument and not one that's going to be settled here. :)

Pop

What people DO do though is make copies of rented DVD's which is a grey area I am told. In that it is for your own personal use and thus accepted as is copying CD's, audio tapes and VCR tapes 'for personal use only.' However, I cannot claim to be 100% certain of the legalities.

But..............and I am sure of this..........PPRuNe must never be used for the purpose of advising others how to make a copy from a DVD, or anything else for that matter, for anyone other than yourself.

I'd agree, but it's not as if there's a legal difference. In the UK, when it comes to film or music all you own is the physical medium. When you buy a DVD, you have a licence to view the specific content on a specific instance of a specific format - the film concerned, on that specific DVD, and nothing else. There is no right to copy material for 'personal use only' (there is a right for 'personal study', but that's different) so legally you cannot copy a CD you own to tape so that you can listen to it in the car.

People can claim copying for personal use is 'fair use' (a common law defence which, as I understand it, hasn't existed in the UK since it was replaced with the statutory defence of 'fair dealing' 80-odd years ago), but it's not a legal defence. Of course, your chances of being prosecuted for copying a CD for personal use are minimal, so that's a decision for you to take.

As for this forum, the instructions for copying your DVD for personal use are no different for the instructions for copying a friend's copy of a DVD. Likewise, I can't ban any mention of Kazaa or discussion of how to rip a CD to MP3. It's a grey area, and I'll deal with it as best I can, but it's not quite as simple as saying "PPRuNe will not be used for...".

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Dec 2004, 13:42
Evo & PPRuNe Pop,

I do not have a problem with anything someone does to a movie or song as long as it does not leave their possession.

They can remix it, edit it, convert it, play it for their friends at home but not give it away.

Anything more then that and I have a problem.

Take Care,

Richard

awair
3rd Jan 2005, 18:35
Not a lawyer but...

USA: My understanding is that you can legally make a backup copy of your own media. But tools that circumvent ANY electronic protections are outlawed under DMCA. [Anyone been asked to 'pull-over' their laptop on a stateside trip? Make sure you don't have DVDdecrypter and the likes on it.]

UK/EUR: DVDdecrypter type tools are not illegal [yet - EUR law impending] but backup copies not allowed under UK law [no concept of 'fair use']. However proving damages is unlikely and the court system is not so an*l.

Flying Lawyer
4th Jan 2005, 19:32
I'm not an intellectual property/copyright lawyer but, based on nothing more than general knowledge, that seems to be a fair summary.
People have copied for personal use ever since tape-recorders were invented decades ago, and the intricacies of different laws relating to different types of media which now exist aren't going to change that.
Whatever the position in law, there's a big difference in practice between copying for personal use and copying for sale. Copying for personal use is unlikely to be detected/prosecuted - but you take the risk you might be unlucky.
Copying for sale is a very different matter. Those caught are always prosecuted and, if convicted, a prison sentence is very likely - certain if on a large-scale.

Discussing copying techniques isn't against the law.

The computer software, music and movie industries are increasing their efforts to crack down on copying because it damages their profits. I suspect there would be less illegal copying in the UK if the retail prices were more reasonable - or at least in line with US prices.