PDA

View Full Version : NO. 37 Course Linton-on-Ouse - Wings Day - March 1975

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Dec 2004, 11:21
I have an album of 10 pictures taken at Linton-on-Ouse on March 13th 1975 at the presentation of wings to No. 37 Course. Nearly 30 years ago!

The presentation was made by Wing Cmdr. Roland 'Bee' Beamont who in his bowler hat looks splendid. The album, amongst other things, was given to me by 'Bee's' daughter for the benefit of the PPRuNe Fund. 'Bee's gathering of medals is not properly recorded but he is wearing them all. Apart from the belated presentation of the Belgian Croix de Guerre his family received last year.

The Lightning painting, which has made £710 for the fund, is also from the Beamont family. A great boost to the coffers. There will no doubt some additional cash too - at the GatBash to-morrow night.

I would be most grateful to receive any bids for said album and will keep the thread open until 12 noon on 16th January 2005.

If you wish to retain anonimity please e-mail your bid to me at [email protected]

Thanks.

PPP

Specaircrew
4th Dec 2004, 20:18
I wonder how many of us from 37 course are still in the RAF apart from me and the Deputy C in C! Anyone else still here?

FJJP
5th Dec 2004, 09:04
If you list the names of those graduating, there are enough of us out here who will probably be able to indicated who's where [ish]...

Cornflake
11th Dec 2004, 16:33
That was around the time I was graduating from 170 RNEFTS at Church Fenton.

I don't know but it's been said...Air Force Wings are made of Lead,

Left,,,,,,,Rydda, Leff.....

I don't know but I've been told.....Navy Wings are made of Gold,

Left,,,,,,,Rydda, Leff....

I'm not sure but it's the rule...B.A. wings are Sooooo Uncool!

Ah me, those were the days.

Smudger
16th Dec 2004, 08:51
I was one of the Graduates! In the course photo, I am front row, second from the right, next to my then good mate George Leith. (Where are you George, I've been searching for you!)
I flew C130's in the mob but now I fly red + silver jets out of Manchester. Of course I remember Graduation Day with pride. I met Bee again a few years later at a RAFA meeting in Swindon where he gave an illustrated talk about his career including his days flying the Typhoon and Tempest low level over occupied France and also his experiences flying the TSR2 and the Lightning. Truly a great name in British aviation history and I was thrilled to meet him on two occasions. If anyone from 37 Course wants to get in touch I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Specaircrew
16th Dec 2004, 10:37
I haven't got a course photo but I was the good looking one(still am of course) that won the prize for instrument flying! You have private mail Smudger.

MrBernoulli
19th Dec 2004, 13:00
Specaircrew? Goodlooking? Winning prizes? I am flabbergasted!

PPRuNe Pop
19th Dec 2004, 14:00
Specaircrew.

There are two presentation pics in the album. One was a large Cup to a Flt.Lt with a suitable handlebar. And the other was also a cup to a young chap. Well, I guess you were all young then.

malreeves
2nd Jan 2005, 12:42
I was on 36 course at Linton in 1979?? , only one lad (Nigel?) voluntarily withdrew, the rest of us all went on to be operational on something. Mike "Bunny" Lence eventually became a Bucc. Nav but I think the rest of us stayed as Pilots.

George Leith, lives about a quarter of a mile from me in Knaresborough as does another Henlow 275 OMC entrant Dave Scaife. Small world eh?

Specaircrew
2nd Jan 2005, 16:42
38 Course was the last of the 'old' style courses in 1975, I think they renumbered after that.

Chris Kebab
8th Jan 2005, 19:19
Last seen flying vintage aircraft at Marham. Keeps quiet about the earlier "bunny" however. Can't think why!

Splash Coxswain
24th Jan 2005, 11:45
PPrune Pop,

It's now 8 days past 16 January 2005 at 1200 hrs, 16 days since the last post and yet this thread is still open despite your original promise. There have only been 11 replies (12 now)! Why is this a sticky?

Aeromole
25th Jan 2005, 12:29
Hi all. Another ex-37 course member checking in. Haven't got the course photo to hand, but my name is the closest to Prune that you'll get.
Now living near Bath, making clever bits of kit like autopilots, mission systems and datalinks.
Still in touch with Jon Millo (36 course?)and Gray Peterson, plus a whole bunch of engineers.

Pete