PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus not checking bags through with non oneworld?

tu154
3rd Dec 2004, 10:12
So I'm checking in for my flight to AMS from DUB on tuesday morning. I need to check my bag though to my destination so I queue for the desk as opposed to using fast pass (only two desks open for all europe flights but that's another issue). 30 minutes pass and it is announced that anyone queuing for AMS should go to the closing flight desk. Which I do.
My onward flight is non oneworld, and it's on a separate ticket, but checking the bag through to destination has neven been an issue in this way. The (very curt) AL agent informed me that as it wasn't a oneworld airline, she couldn't check it though. I said that it had always previously been checked through to be told from that day they would no longer be doing this.
So is this the case or was I just getting a hard time from a cranky agent? AMS is a pain to have to collect a bag from and recheck in as opposed to just going to a transfer desk.

lexxity
3rd Dec 2004, 11:19
Seems as though EI are following BA's policy of not checking through on seperate tickets and non-one world carriers. Try bmi next time :ok:

redfred
3rd Dec 2004, 20:34
I do all the time i mean otherwise you'd miss your connection......I think its to do with the particular carrier being liable for expenses if the bag goes missing although even if you are going from oneworld to another oneworld carrier they'd still be liable if it went missing, doesnt make sense to me

lexxity
6th Dec 2004, 20:09
I think its to do with the particular carrier being liable for expenses if the bag goes missing although even if you are going from oneworld to another oneworld carrier they'd still be liable if it went missing, doesnt make sense to me

Your last carrier takes responsability (sp) and covers repatriation, IATA rules, makes it fairer (in theory) and spreads costs. Its a daft oneworld rule, fly star instead :}