PDA

View Full Version : CV vs resume formats

betelnut
3rd Dec 2004, 02:49
I would appreciate any insight as to the difference, if any, between the formats of a Curriculum Vitae (sp?) and a resume.
In the States we use resumes. I notice European companies want CVs. Is the format that different?
Thanks
Betel

GoldenMonkey
3rd Dec 2004, 15:52
They are the same thing. CV = Resume. It's simply an Americanism (or Britism) of the English language.
Similarly Trunk = Boot, Yard = Garden, Hood = Bonnet, blah blah blah...

betelnut
3rd Dec 2004, 15:56
Ok. So, no difference in format or information presented?

Thanks

GoldenMonkey
3rd Dec 2004, 16:15
Well, I can't speak 100% for aviation, but other industries are exactley the same. I currently work in IT and have done so in the UK and the USA. The only difference I made to my UK CV was to change the title to Resume.

scroggs
5th Dec 2004, 18:30
And here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65343)

WX Man
6th Dec 2004, 13:03
Remember if you're emailing your CV, make sure the paper format is correct. Otherwise, if they choose to print it it won't come out as you intended it to!

Tinstaafl
6th Dec 2004, 18:42
Good point. I've recently had to adjust mine to fit on the US Letter paper size. Also was advised to americanise the spelling, and insert what the US equivalent would be to my foreign-to-the-US licences & ratings.

Jeez I wish the US would move to 'A' paper sizes.

AEB
6th Dec 2004, 22:09
Résumé is the French version and Curriculum Vitae is Greek. Blame the English for not coming up with the proper term for what is essentially your career biography!
;)
Seriously, for those of you in Europe applying to American companies and are concerned about formatting your résumé/c.v. for American-sized paper, you can easily avoid this problem by cutting and pasting your résumé/c.v. into the body of your email message. Many recruiters prefer the "in the body" method due to viruses and the occasional odd program that cannot be opened. Personally, when I receive "them" I want them within the body of the message. I also do not like *pdf versions as they don't always open up and when they do they tend to look awful.

Just my two cents [or pence].

Luke SkyToddler
6th Dec 2004, 22:29
Yep everyone's had that moment with CV formatting ... when you realise that beautiful CV, that you spent days on, getting every indent of every line just perfect, all those Italics and Bolds and tabs and everything, actually is a complete waste of time, because you created it in Word '95 or MS-DOS or some cheap ancient flying school pentium 100 ... and then you email it to every one of your 75 potential airline employers on your lovingly crafted mailing list ... and then the next day one of your mates asks you to email it to him so he can copy the style, and he tells you that he tried to open it with his state of the art Windows XP and it looked like a dog's breakfast, or wouldn't open at all and crashed his computer or something :( :( :(

I send mine as a PDF file now, it ain't perfect but it beats the crap out of playing formatting roulette with Microsoft!!