PDA

View Full Version : Standby or Hibernate?

willby
2nd Dec 2004, 22:20
Hi
My desktop is rated 250w in the spec page of manual. I have it set to stanby after 15 mins in idle and hibernate after 45 mins. However, I am getting tired waiting for windows (XP) to load every time I revisit the pc and would ideally prefer to set the " hibernate" option to "never."
Could any advise what the power consumption difference is between hibernate and standby. Thanks.
Willby

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Dec 2004, 22:40
Willby,

If you have a desktop, why not just leaving it running?

You can set it to power down the Monitor and the Hard Drives after a period of time. When you want to use it again, it will ready to go with a movement of the Mouse.

I have never cared for Window's Standby or Hibernate. They never did get them completely right.

A good thread to look at is:

Turn it off or leave it on? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151601)

Take Care,

Richard

willby
3rd Dec 2004, 09:12
hi Richard,
Have decided to just turn off monitor and hard disk after 15 mins.
After recently convincing my better half to let me sign up for broadband did,nt want to see any noticeable increase in my electricity bill at the same time hence the query re difference in power consumption between the various power options.
Thanks
Willby

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Dec 2004, 14:28
Willby,

You could run one month with the computer off and another month with it on to see if it changes the utility bill, but I doubt you will be able to notice a difference.

Then add up what all your time and relaxation is worth to you all the times you have to wait for your computer to boot up, and you will leave it on 24/7 too. ;)

Take Care,

Richard