PDA

View Full Version : EK Airbus Upgrades

jack schidt
2nd Dec 2004, 20:31
Only 2 Airbus upgrade courses in 2005 > FACT, what ever happened to "about 3 years" to all those airbus course guys who joined in 2002 and lost out on the "Accel Upgrade" (18 months Hah! Apparrently datum is now 3 years 9 months and going backwards. OK any FO's on wide-body should be hopeful for command in such a short period, but 80% gave up commands to come to EK not for a 5 to 7 year wait as it is now and getting worse!

Wrong Forum / Website. Not Rumour but FACT.

411A
3rd Dec 2004, 03:54
Well....just shows the futility of jumping from the LHS back to the right, almost always never a good move.

You would have thought that some of these folks knew better.
Was it PT Barnum who mentioned...'there's a sucker born every minute?':uhoh:

ironbutt57
3rd Dec 2004, 04:10
Grass on the other side of the fence is often greener because it's better fertilized, and one might find themselves knee deep in that fertilizer once they land on the other side of the fence...:{

Payscale
3rd Dec 2004, 16:08
Jack,

I dont think 80% gave up commands to come here. Most guyes I know came because their old company folded, or were about to. I think only DragonAir can offer a faster command. Be it 3 or 4 years. I find it unfair that they wont offer cross fleet transferes, because some guyes will be caught out.
Logic would dictate that the 3 years had to stop some day. To double the fleet from 20 to 40 aircraft is not to hard to do in 3 years. To go from 100 to 200 is! Eventually the crisis that hit most airlines is a rising market will hit EK. Lack of pilots. For that to happen here a serious startup airline would have to open in either OZ or canada, where a large part of our collegues come from.
Being an expat airline linked to the USD obviously gives us grief, but thats hardly EKs fault. But never the less ( is that one word?) it is a factor when summing up the pros and cons. Personally I will hang around sometime more. But would I come down today....only if I was stuck in the RHS of a crab plane or lost my job... Make up your own mind, but remember the overall majority is happy here, and the minority spends time bitching to a dead computer.

rainforest
3rd Dec 2004, 16:25
Whether it opens up in OZ or Canada, I doubt there will be a mass exodus from the desert. The number that left were far too small as compared to those that have joined. The neighbour down the road have almost two dozen "canucks" and more are on the way. Its an employers' market right now really and that , in my opinion will be so for a long while. In the meantime, the whinging and moaning will go on.

maddog62
4th Dec 2004, 03:58
If there'll be only 2 courses next yr than hell is gonna break loose in 2006. The new planes will arrive with us caught with our pants still down.

It's also more economic to have less FOs flying more hours, and more junior captains helping the senior and expensive ones in flying less overtime....

I heard that this was a money issue that had nothing to do with reality and the right guys apparently realized it and are pushing for more courses.

I'd be very surprised if the guys who joined last year would'nt get their upgrade opportunity in three yrs :}

mad

donpizmeov
4th Dec 2004, 06:28
Maddog,
Not sure but aren't Bus deliveries at the end of 2006? And doesn't this also require the A380 to be made tested and flown on time? So I guess there would be plenty of time in 2006 to ramp up for commands etc.
If above is true, wouldn't that leave the guys who joined last year in for a longer wait, as the line in front of them is cleared out?
I think that the company always likes to tell the worst case option, so hopefully we might have some policy change etc to prevent FOs being abandoned on the Bus, and a requirement for more DECs on the Boeing. But as decisions like this are made by accountants and not us, we will have to wait and see.
Don

galactica
4th Dec 2004, 11:01
Ethiad is upgrading his pilot within a year.

2 things : you have to leave UAE to have the oportunity to be hired there (abandonning the working visa) and second you need the type ratting so far.

Other oportunity....... Direct Command is offered on the forgotten A-310.... The freighters are confirm and there is a posting for DC in flight international:ouch:

maddog62
4th Dec 2004, 13:35
But as decisions like this are made by accountants and not us, we will have to wait and see.

Don,
I agree, and that's why I'm not worrying that much....and you're right about the Airbus deliveries, but I think they have to come up with something more consistent than this "only two courses in 2006...." crap......:yuk:

And what if they decide to split the Airbus fleet in two? I've heard this rumor too....:cool:

I must be optimistic, my age doesn't allow me to leave and look for a quicker upgrade somewhere else.....I just hang on and hope for the best :hmm:

mad

ARMGAT
6th Dec 2004, 14:45
If you have another 20 years flying left then it does not matter if you get your command within the next tree years or not.

I suspect that those moaning over this are in exactly the same way as the bean counters that run this airline counting their chips every night.

The real issue that then remains to consider; is what am I doing to my wife and children (in the long term) by coming here. There is no future for them whatsoever and they will have a very unrealistic view on the world.

maddog62
6th Dec 2004, 22:20
If you have another 20 years flying left then it does not matter if you get your command within the next tree years or not.

That's the problem ARM...I've a lot less than 20 yrs flying left...:yuk:

and I'm afraid my wife is old enough to understand what's realistic and what's not....

mad

Rosbif
15th Dec 2004, 14:25
Is it possible that high time former Captain FO's at Emirates might get a faster command if they volunteered for the A310?

Is there a possibility that direct commands in the A310 might be available to people who are rated A310, but who don't meet the normal (very high) Emirates DEC requirements?.

CX cargo upgrades much faster than pax fleet, and has a different payscale . (Almost a "C"scale)

Could this happen at Emirates?

Just wondering.

Morwheus
15th Dec 2004, 15:57
Rosbif

Firstly what sort of under cover ......covert....dont identify me....name is that ...and secondly good question...

I believe a310 rated captains may have an advantage over non rated DEC's and I also think that like other DEC's at EK they would join with some sort of seniorty number based on date of joining......

however I do understand that there is a lock on type for some years...unsure how long but could be as mauch as 5 to 6 years.

so no moving to the pax fleet just a lovely life style running rubber dog S#$t out of Dubai for the same pay and conditions but on the A310. if you are into it and 310 rated in the left seat......good luck :{

flybystring
16th Dec 2004, 14:24
Parc advertising for A310/300 Captains for UAE, Only 3000 Hrs total required. Dont know if its for EK but sounds likely. Its only 75% of what they require for an FO here ? and half of whats required for a Captain who has already done 3 Yrs in the company as an FO. Go Figure ?

Payscale
16th Dec 2004, 19:13
I am sure they mean 3000 hours command time. All else would be strange...

7x7
17th Dec 2004, 05:11
I'd be very interested to learn what Parc are charging EK for these pilots.

Rosbif
17th Dec 2004, 12:13
If I am looking at the same ads, it requires JAR licences, which is not usually a requirement in the UAE (or at Emirates). Could it be that the jobs are for a European subcontractor who will do the work while EK gets the A310F program going?

Incidentally, there is only one A310F or A300-600F ACMI operator in Europe (as far as I know).

Morwheus
17th Dec 2004, 12:55
have a look at www.rishworth.co.nz:cool:

Morf

fatbus
17th Dec 2004, 13:29
my guess is air india, there was talk of them getting 310f
will 330/340 fo's be offered upgrade on the 310? is it 1 in 05 and 2 in 06?

Rosbif
17th Dec 2004, 13:41
It looks as if the Rishworth one might be EK. The Parc one probably not. There is something going on in Sri Lanka with A310's. That might be the answer.

Happy Christmas to all the "Frozen Frogs" now enjoying the sunshine in Doha, Abu, and Dubai from Rosbif.

Morwheus
17th Dec 2004, 21:02
rosbif

what the hell does Sri lanka have to do with a contract offer in Dubai. .....I have to say you have really got me curious now. ...english is my first language and I have no idea what you are on about.

may I suggest you stop having mushrooms with your cooked breakfast.

7x7
17th Dec 2004, 22:27
Morwheus, are you by any chance someone of rather tender years who works in an aviation book shop in Canada? - aka Bound for Dubai?

00bultril
18th Dec 2004, 02:48
Howdy:cool:
Here is my 5cents worth.

Facts:
3 EK 310 freighters coming (1 in june 05/ 2 in jan 06)
Inhouse EK capts get first go if their fleets can spare them.
DEC to fill rest of slots/ A310 rated guys get preferance(one so far)
Crew no's to be finalised (could be as many as 10 crews per a/c, due charter work.)
No!!! contract pilots!!
No Sri Lankan reg a/c operated by EK (could become load share agreement)

Rumours:
EK cross fleet upgrade policy to be reviewed
Contracts for 310 crews in UAE could be for Itihad
Islandflug (spell?) to wet lease 310/300F to Itihad
Current 310F schedule is around gulf (IST, DAM, BOM, MAA, BLE, LHE) and SIN once aweek per a/c.
Work for horses could see ops to LAX, New York, Lexington, Centuccy (spell?) Autralia on ad-hoc charters.
Current EK 310 (pax) could remain with EK, past return date of end March05
Life style on310F possibly not super hot due ungodly dep times (when its dark!!)

Morwheus
18th Dec 2004, 07:33
7x7....you have busted me ....... :{

sorry but no....its not the guy you are thinking of.........however I must confess to having been in Canada .....and while I was there I did buy a book from from and aviation bookshop. ...it was called...ah ..."pick a cool name for pprune!!!" i can lend it to you :ok:

desert_knight
18th Dec 2004, 17:12
PARC advert could just as easily be for Etihad as they are starting cargo ops with a couple of A300s and an A310.

:ok: