PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation adjudication please

surely not
2nd Dec 2004, 19:22
I have just watched an advertisement on ITV which used the word 'Titanium'

Mrs SN and I have disagreed as to how this should be pronounced and we would welcome your adjudication on this matter.

is it 'tit aynium' or 'tie taynium' (that's as close as I can get phonetically)

Thanking you all in anticipation of the responses.

Jerricho
2nd Dec 2004, 19:25
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000

SYLLABICATION: ti·ta·ni·um

NOUN: Symbol Ti A strong, low-density, highly corrosion-resistant, lustrous white metallic element that occurs widely in igneous rocks and is used to alloy aircraft metals for low weight, strength, and high-temperature stability. Atomic number 22; atomic weight 47.87 melting point 1,660°C; boiling point 3,287°C; specific gravity 4.54; valence 2, 3, 4. See table at element.

During my chemistry stuidies, it was always pronounced "Tie-tanium.". I can't say I have ever heard it pronounced "tit-anium" *giggle*.

SyllogismCheck
2nd Dec 2004, 19:25
Generally speaking it's 'tit aynium' here and 'tie taynium' across the pond, but I prefer 'titan-ium' myself. :p

Wholigan
2nd Dec 2004, 19:26
"Tit" ....... always wanted to be able to say that without banning meself! ;) :E

surely not
2nd Dec 2004, 19:43
Well this is inconclusive so far!!

For what it is worth I was (for the first time in my life) a 'tit' man, whilst Mrs SN favoured the use of 'tie'.

SyllogismCheck
2nd Dec 2004, 19:49
I make it 3 - 2 in favour of 'tit' by that token, not inconclusive.
All in favour of 'tit' say aye! :)

That should secure a victory!

IB4138
2nd Dec 2004, 19:52
I always thought a tit should be blue and/or great.

I'll leave the room!

tony draper
2nd Dec 2004, 20:13
One imagines the Elder Gods of Greece would be a tad miffed being refered to as Tit ains,after all, tiz they the metal is named after, ergo the correct pronunciation is Tight ainium.
:rolleyes:

Davaar
2nd Dec 2004, 20:46
And then there was the old story about the titter that ran round the court.

OK. I'll leave too.

Loki
2nd Dec 2004, 20:52
The symbol Ti comes from the name Titan apparently (according to my Collins compact) so presumably it should be "Tie-taynium"

Personally, I`ve always preferred to say "tit" whenever possible!

Kaptin M
2nd Dec 2004, 20:55
How about T-tanium (as in not sounding out the "i" at all)?

"Margarine" is another good one.
...and "nude"

tall and tasty
2nd Dec 2004, 21:05
Sorry folks have to agree with tony draper here

Like the use of

"Ti" in Titanic - not pronounced "Tit" anic

But on the other hand I am a girl and what would I know :p

TnT

;)

Grainger
2nd Dec 2004, 21:07
Hey - so long as no-one goes "tri-tanium", I'm cool.

None of the above
2nd Dec 2004, 21:14
Then there was the greatest painter of the Venetian school............... Titian.
You're on your own chaps........

Atlas Shrugged
2nd Dec 2004, 21:32
Tie tay knee-um

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=titanium&x=16&y=14

Vont phood
2nd Dec 2004, 21:54
Tit for me................... cos I'm a bit Ti'd up at the moment :D

Jerricho
2nd Dec 2004, 21:56
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Army%20at%20Play.jpg

Vont phood
2nd Dec 2004, 21:58
There should be another card saying 'I'm showing you my chopper so...'

Jerricho
2nd Dec 2004, 21:59
God bless the Australian armed forces :E

pigboat
3rd Dec 2004, 00:50
Lu Zuckerman says that seeing that pic's taken at a beach, that's a legitimate request. :D

Buster Hyman
3rd Dec 2004, 01:23
I'll stand in the "Tie" corner as well.

Worked with a chap who pronounced Aboriginal as "Abbo - ridge - eye - nal"...say it quick & you'll see why it raised eyebrows!:eek:

Feeton Terrafirma
3rd Dec 2004, 03:31
I'm going with "Tie-taynium" cos I don't confuse metal and tits at all. Ever licked metal? :yuk:

Rollingthunder
3rd Dec 2004, 03:41
Always preferred Palladium myself.

Knew someone who pronounced Hawaii - Hay Way Eye.

Tony Hancock pronounced Canada as Can aaaaa Da on his programme

criticalmass
3rd Dec 2004, 05:50
If our American friends are to be as inconsistent as they are with Aluminium, they should pronounce it as "Tie-Tanum".

I have always wondered just why they chose to mangle the pronunciation of Aluminium, but not, for example, Sodium, Potassium, Americium, Plutonium, and Uranium. Why pick on poor little Aluminium, I ask?

Cornholeeo
3rd Dec 2004, 06:02
How about some adjudication on the spelling of the word "pronunciation". Or are you talking about pronouns??????

Focus on your spelling and the rest will come naturally.

Surprised none of the regular up-tights picked it up.

shortly
3rd Dec 2004, 06:20
All a bit a....y retentive for me. Now I like the idea of a tit and there is nothing wrong with a good tie either, you know, 'you've been a very naughty boy etc'. Pleeeese don't try to understand the rationale behind American pronounciation, there is none. Or why they drive their gas guzzlers on wrong side of t'road, or eat with the wrong hand. Oops gone off thread a bit, tie tane eeum does it for me.

Sailor Vee
3rd Dec 2004, 07:25
................let's call the whole thing off!

Baron rouge
3rd Dec 2004, 07:42
I am very surprised no-one bothered to have a look in a proper dictionary and more importantly, no-one seems able to use phonetic alphabet.
Are the Brits a bunch of ignorant brats…

Anyway, to settle the things, Mrs SN was right in her pronunciation as for example Harrraps says it should be pronounced : “tai’teini(e)m the (e) being used here to replace the inverted e used in correct phonetic spelling.
;)

Evening Star
3rd Dec 2004, 08:26
Reading Bill Bryson's various histories on the English language, a lot of American usage of English changed during a period of extreme prudishness. I guess at that point the 'tit' went out of titanium in the same way that titbit became tidbit and cock became rooster, and so on...

surely not
3rd Dec 2004, 09:30
Baron Rouge, I have to admit that I did use a dictionary to check which was correct, but realising I was technically in the wrong, thought I might regain some of the moral high ground if I could prove enough people on JB used 'tit' and not 'ti'.

Crashed and burned all round now :{ Large amount of humble pie will have to be eaten :{

(I also wish I had checked the spelling of pronunciation as well)

lasernigel
3rd Dec 2004, 09:37
We process lots of "bits" made from it daily.Both us and where the bits come from call it " Tie-tanium"

Rushton
3rd Dec 2004, 11:09
Just call it "that hard shiny metal" - sorted

R

Bidgee
3rd Dec 2004, 12:13
Who gives a furry rats bum ?

The SSK
3rd Dec 2004, 12:19
a lot of American usage of English changed during a period of extreme prudishness. I guess at that point the 'tit' went out of titanium in the same way that titbit became tidbit and cock became rooster, and so on...

What do the Merkins call those little birds that hang upside down on bags of peanuts?

lasernigel
3rd Dec 2004, 12:24
BATS??

XXTSGR
3rd Dec 2004, 13:58
AT the risk (yet again) of being labelled anti-American, why on earth do they have to pronounce "Aluminium" (All-u-MIN-yum) as All-OO-min-um?

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation, how does one say "Uranus"? Yer-AYnus or YOO-ra-nus?

EGBKFLYER
3rd Dec 2004, 14:28
Desk Jockey: Don't know about USA but in Canada they are Chickadees... Funny but not as good as a variety of tits (cue sniggers from Britishers and puzzled looks from everyone else).

itchy kitchin
3rd Dec 2004, 14:45
The one that really gets my goat is the way americans pronounce Iraq as eye-rack. They should know full well that its pronounced ee-raaak.

But the best had to be the late Fred Dibnah's pronounciation of demonstration. He called it a Dee-monster-ayshun. Crackin'!