View Full Version : Qantas to load up with freight

Wirraway
2nd Dec 2004, 13:54
Fri "Melbourne Age"

Qantas to load up with freight
By Scott Rochfort
Sydney
December 3, 2004

The airline has finally persuaded itself that there is money in an expanded cargo service.

Qantas will make a bold move into the international cargo arena after applying for rights to fly 747 freighters into South Africa, India and Germany from next month.

The airline confirmed yesterday that it had applied to the International Air Services Commission to operate a weekly freighter service to Johannesburg and a twice-weekly service to Frankfurt through Mumbai, Kazakhstan and Singapore.

"We've been building our international freight network slowly but surely over the last 12 months," said Qantas executive general manager of associated business Denis Adams.

Following the launch of Qantas 747-400 freighter services to Chicago through Shanghai and Singapore in February, Mr Adams said Qantas hoped its 49 per cent-owned Thai Air Cargo would begin intra-Asian freighter services early next year.

Mr Adams said Qantas's hesitant move into operating more freighter services was the coming together of a few things.

"We had to convince ourselves we could make money out of it," he said, also noting the recent granting of additional traffic rights into Asia for the move.

The International Air Transport Association reported recently that world air cargo volumes had increased 14 per cent in the first 10 months of the year.

But Qantas has shied away from taking the lead from other key carriers in the region that own their own freighters, such as Singapore Air and Korean Air.

Qantas will continue to wet lease freighters and crews from the US-based Atlas Air.

"We're growing our involvement in it at the moment and we want to be sure that there are good returns in this business in the long term," Mr Adams said.

He said the move to freighters was also prompted by Qantas having the disadvantage on its long-haul routes of not being able to carry full loads of cargo in its passenger aircraft.

At present freighters only carry about 10 per cent of the air freight from Australia; the rest is carried in passenger aircraft.

The chief executive officer of the Air Freight Export Council of NSW, Malcolm Bush, said the Qantas move would be welcome news for Australian exporters, especially those exporting into Europe.

At present, Mr Bush said, many exporters to Europe, especially those of perishable goods, were disadvantaged by often having their goods offloaded at ports in Asia.

==========================================

Cornholeeo
2nd Dec 2004, 14:06
Excellent job. Keep these random reports coming in. Anything vaguely to do with aviation deserves its share of bandwidth, no matter how mundane or tenuous the link.

Wow. Qwantarse is flying cargo!!! Wow!

Wirraway
2nd Dec 2004, 14:17
Well for someone thats been registered with PPRuNe for a whole
5 days, you seem to know it all, maybe you should apply for a
position with Fairfax or Newscorp and show them how to
put perfect aviation articles together.

Wirraway

AIRWAY
2nd Dec 2004, 14:38
Wirraway don't worry, if he keeps going like that i don't think his visa for D&G will last long... :E

The Voice
2nd Dec 2004, 19:21
Hiya Wirraway ..

lovely reply :O .. looking forward to saying gidday to you and your good lady wife, and sharing a drink in a couple of weeks, (assuming that you'll be there at Brekky Creek? )..

TV

Buster Hyman
2nd Dec 2004, 19:53
This has been a long time coming. I imagine that they will be using their own freighters sooner rather than later. I'll bet that if & when they do, there'll be a bidding war between all the little QF companies for the rights to operate the freighters. That'll take the sting out of the operating costs!:hmm:

The Voice
2nd Dec 2004, 20:02
I wonder if that will a service ex the east ports only, or if there would be a collection from somewhere like DN.

MAS were supposed to have had 16 'trial' flights from here for a number of weeks, taking our precious mango's (and one would assume, other stuff too) over to Asia.

A couple of those flights never eventuated, even though the freight was all packed and ready to go. I don't remember actually hearing why they didn't happen.

Now the entire programme has been scrapped, leaving a LOT of exporters not very happy.

So, hence my question, as we now have the rail head here and there is room to manouvre.

Kaptin M
2nd Dec 2004, 20:26
Mr Adams said Qantas's hesitant move into operating more freighter services was the coming together of a few things. Not the least of which - I won't be surprised to learn - are QF's (Oldmeadow's) attempts to split the QF pilot group (ie. bust AIPA), and the TWU, and Dixon's passion for creating "new" companies, in order to appoint more top level "managers" (on bloated salaries), rather than using existing infrastructure.
I suspect that QANTAS Cargo will be a separate entity to the current QANTAS, employing pilots on lesser conditions, and probably subcontracting the maintenance and loading to outside companies.

Keg
4th Dec 2004, 01:18
It wasn't that long ago that one J.Strong famously told one pilot's meeting that 'there is no money in freight'. Obviously there is a couple of dollars here and there! :}

tinpis
4th Dec 2004, 01:29
No doubt we will never never know Voice.
What does the NT need?...BEER ! !
What have we got for export?
Full public servants.