PDA

View Full Version : Stopwatches for the IR

spitfire747
2nd Dec 2004, 11:33
Quick question, could not find a search answer

I am doing the IR in January and would like to know what is best to use for timing, a digital stopwatch or an analogue stopwatch.

Thanks in advance

Spit :bored:

GusHoneybun
2nd Dec 2004, 13:05
spitty me old china,

i didn't bother using a clipboard stopwatch for the IR. most transponders have an inbuild stopwatch thing and its found using that one much easier. get yourself a stopwatch anyway just in case, and i have a digital one. basically it has a one touch reset so when you're abeam the beacon you just blip the button and the whole things resets to zero.

good luck with your IR thingy next year. give me a bell some time to catch up. it's your inverness based buddy here :ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
2nd Dec 2004, 15:13
Merlin powered man :D

Agree with Gus, use the stop watch on the ADF receiver. Those analogue stop watches are a nightmare to read, and are bloody expensive! You want to be saving those precious dollars for all those ILS's into Bournemouth.

Speak to you soon.

rotatrim
2nd Dec 2004, 16:00
Argos do a very good one which saw me and several others through the IR. It's grey/black digital and hangs around your neck (if that's where you like it)

The price a year ago was something like £4.99.

The reference number on the box is 254/2535 and it's labelled "Stopwatch" and "Timer/Stopwatch".

Highly recommended (and I don't have shares in Argos!)

High Wing Drifter
2nd Dec 2004, 18:56
I used the EFT function on the ADF (Bendix Silver Crown avionics) for my IMC. Why do IRers use stopwatches? Is there some part of the test that assumes no electrical power?

Tinstaafl
2nd Dec 2004, 20:03
Damned if I know why the UK seems to have a love affair with timers. I've only ever used my watch or the King ADF timer (if fitted and I'm timing an approach) from PPL to CPL to IR to several ATPLs.

Often wondered why the UK leans that way. Anyone know?

BigGrecian
2nd Dec 2004, 20:07
Well we use (in the military) analogue ones. Gives you a better perception of time. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I imagine our methods are tried and tested.

spitfire747
2nd Dec 2004, 20:28
Thanks Guys for the advice, have an old digital stopwatch i bought ages ago, so will probably use that..

CAT 3C.. well done on your FIRST TIME pass on the IR and enjoy your MCC

Inverness bud... hope all is well up there

Spit :ok:

hotprop
2nd Dec 2004, 20:35
In Sweden a stopwatch is mandatory equipment for IFR certification of the aircraft. That is, it should be installed in the aircraft (yoke or panel). The ADF does not suffice as a timer.

Personally I like having the timer right in front of me, not over to the side where the ADF normally sits, your scan may not pick it up out there when the going gets tough.

I'm used to having a timer on the yoke, right where my approach chart is - works for me...

Hufty
2nd Dec 2004, 20:35
I used a digital one from a kitchen shop for my IR. Don't bother with an analogue one - if it is dark it can be hard to read the minute hand (well I found it hard anyway) and under pressure it can be hard to see if it is two minutes or three.......

I think I paid £5.99 for it and it does all the things that the Transair one does for £20 less. If it has a clip, it will be useful for clipping to your kneeboard.

Hufty

CAT3C AUTOLAND
3rd Dec 2004, 09:55
Cheers Spit, cannot wait to get my hands on that B757!:E

Enjoy the states, easy on the beers down in Yabbas.

Snigs
3rd Dec 2004, 12:50
Doesn't matter what type it is, you'll find that you'll forget all about it on the outbound leg of the hold (you know, thinking about the half gate, whether you're wide or narrow etc).

The general thought will be "Oh zark, missed it, better turn now then!!" :p

VFE
5th Dec 2004, 17:36
Get one of those digital display stopwatches that stick on with vecro to your control column clip. They are more money but sod all in the grand scheme of things. Using the ADF stopwatch is all very well but leaning over to stop and start it and keeping your eye on it during procedures distracts you from your scan.

I was lucky - I bought my stopwatch and CC clip at cut price off a guy who'd just passed his test.... and I still owe him the money but he's 4000 miles away now and I've no contact address! :}

VFE.

Mr Benn
9th Dec 2004, 18:44
I found the easiest way to do the IR was to use both - the standard analogue one for holds, coz you can glance at it to see what the timing is, and a digital one (preferably fixed to the yoke) for approaches. Then, when you have a moment, you set up the countdown time for the next approach (eg. set 3mins 40 seconds or whatever) and then when you start the time you just hit the go button. When you get to MAP the timer goes off, which is very useful in case you get a bit stressed out and forget.

VFE
10th Dec 2004, 13:32
which is very useful in case you get a bit stressed out and forget.
Not that the IR test is stressful or anything... :suspect:

VFE.

mateyboy
7th Apr 2005, 14:33
I like to count aloud, " 1 potato, 2 potato, three potato 4....>."