PDA

View Full Version : Places of interest for an aircaft engineer visiting OZ

Volume
2nd Dec 2004, 11:10
Hi,

I´m going to visit OZ for the first time by end of December to end of January (NSW,ACT,SA,VIC).
Which places are worth to visit for an aircraft engineer and private pilot ? Aircraft museums, other technical stuff, fly-ins, airshows (Australia day) etc.
Where is it most interesting to fly ? What are typical prices for small aircraft charter ?

Any hints wellcome

planemad2
2nd Dec 2004, 20:28
Sorry, ONLY places worth visiting are in Queensland. ;) :ok:

Milt
2nd Dec 2004, 22:18
Volume

War Memorial in Canberra ACT has many restored/preserved aircraft on show. Well worth a visit to see how it used to be.

You may even be fortunate enough by prior arrangement to join a group being shown around the Memorial Annexe where many more gems from the past are being preserved.

Then there is the RAAF Museum at Point Cook (the oldest military airfield in the world) which has a fine collection

Temora in south central NSW is another where you could spend a full day. Occasional flying displays of some oldies.

All have good websites readily found via Google.

Bidgee
3rd Dec 2004, 02:22
Volume,

Definately check out Temora Aviation Museum.
Flying days on weekends, every 2nd I think, but check that out.
Good static displays too.

TheNightOwl
4th Dec 2004, 01:30
Volume - if memory serves me correctly, the RAAF Museum at Point Cook flies its airworthy aircraft on a Tuesday, weather permitting. Should I be wrong, be assured someone will correct my memory!

Welcome, and have a good time here.

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.

:ok:

aerocom
4th Dec 2004, 06:27
If in Sydney there is a place in Camden just out of Sydney about a 35 minute drive. Its in a residential area but has a shed attached to a house that has all sorts of WW2 aircraft. Sorry I can't remember the name but worth a visit and about $6 , not far from Camden aerodrome. Failing that try Jacksons on George, a great pub.

redsnail
4th Dec 2004, 12:14
The Establishment (on George St) is also a great pub/drinking place. :E

Fris B. Fairing
9th Dec 2004, 03:54
Volume

The Camden Museum of Aviation is actually at Narellan, having moved there from Camden quite a few years ago. Well worth a visit.

currawong
9th Dec 2004, 10:08
Volume,

Get yourself up to Sid Beck's place in Mareeba, North Queensland.

The original real man's back shed. Highlight? P-39 recovered early 70's having force landed during WW2.