PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of life?

tall and tasty
2nd Dec 2004, 09:47
This was an interesting subject set for an essay for my nephew (I know we have had essay questions recently)

"What's the meaning of life”? :confused:

Over to everyone and this should be interesting

My definition is to

"Work and party hard and live each day to the full!

TnT

;)

tony draper
2nd Dec 2004, 09:55
6,000 weeks holiday from total oblivion is all, give or take a few weeks, and contrary to what the bearded and dog collared ones try and tell you, tiz the only one you will ever get, so bollix to spending yer life preparing for a none existant second go, enjoy this one.
IMHO anyway.

:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Dec 2004, 12:12
Why does there have to be a meaning?

If you stop asking this question, things get a lot simpler.

fishtits
2nd Dec 2004, 12:20
"What's the meaning of life”?

It's a 1983 Monty Python film starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin etc...

Short but technically correct answer... A+

:cool:

X-QUORK
2nd Dec 2004, 12:26
I think the answer was worked out by a super-computer on "The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy" (it took the computer 7.5 million years of processing):

The answer to the meaning of life = 42.

Quoted from the Wikipedia on-line dictionary:

The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything, given by the supercomputer Deep Thought to a group of mice, is "forty-two". According to the Guide, mice are 3-dimensional profiles of a pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent race of beings. They built Deep Thought, the second greatest computer of all time and space, to tell them the answer to the question of life, the universe and everything. After seven and a half million years the computer divulges the answer: forty-two.

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"
"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."
The computer informs the researchers that it will design for them a second and greater computer, incorporating living beings as part of its computational matrix, to tell them what the question is. That computer was called Earth and was so big that it was often mistaken for a planet. The question was lost minutes before it was due to be produced, due to the Vogons' demolition of the Earth, supposedly to build a hyperspace bypass. (Later in the series, it is revealed that the Vogons had been hired to destroy the Earth by a consortium of philosophers and psychiatrists who feared for the loss of their jobs when the meaning of life become common knowledge.)

tall and tasty
2nd Dec 2004, 12:34
fishtits

Thats what my nephew wrote and got graded badly! (Teacher with no sense of humour) :uhoh:

But some of these replies have me in stitches! :D

Keep them coming :ok:

Thanks

TnT

Little Eagle
2nd Dec 2004, 12:41
Living Life on the edge

:ok:

Send Clowns
2nd Dec 2004, 13:08
With your definition, you'll enjoy the Gatbash, Tall & Tasty!

How about something derrived from what is claimed (not sure how realistically) very old religious philosophy, "Harm none, do what you will" in other words, take responsibility for yourselves, do what you choose to make of your life, as long as it does no harm to anyone else. I like Cheerio's leaving the place better than you found it though.

Jerricho
2nd Dec 2004, 15:17
"Every rose has it's thorn"

(Thank you, Bill and Ted ;) )

Parapunter
2nd Dec 2004, 15:58
Assuming three score and ten, eighty five weeks in a year Drapes?:confused:

Standard Noise
2nd Dec 2004, 16:34
"Whenever life gets you down Mrs Brown.....
Just remember that you're standing, on a planet that's evolving, revolving at 900 miles an hour..........."

Grainger
2nd Dec 2004, 16:50
I had a Moment of Clarity early one morning not so long ago.

Woke up about three a.m. and realised that ... finally ... I knew exactly What It Was All About.

It was all so obvious, it made perfect sense and I knew precisely what I had to do. I would start the very next morning, as soon as I woke up.

Contentedly, I drifted off back to sleep and in the morning... well, you know what happened... Could I remember what it was ? Could I ***k.

It all made so much sense, too :{

X-QUORK
2nd Dec 2004, 17:18
Grainger

If I had a pound for every time I've been thoroughly "refreshed", entered into some deep and meaningful conversation with an equally "refreshed" mate, and then sorted out all the world's problems...only to wake up with a stinking hangover and absolutely no idea what we'd been talking about - well I'd probably be about 50 quid better off.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Dec 2004, 17:28
You're here to pass on genetic material, now get busy.

Everything else is gravy. (Come to think of it, so's passing on the genetic material.:E )

criticalmass
2nd Dec 2004, 18:43
Make the happiest memories for your frail old age you can because that's all you will take with you. Your last suit is made without pockets.

Hawk
2nd Dec 2004, 19:54
just turn up every day.

Buster Hyman
2nd Dec 2004, 20:14
n. pl. lives (lvz)

The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism.

The characteristic state or condition of a living organism.
Living organisms considered as a group: plant life; marine life.
A living being, especially a person: an earthquake that claimed hundreds of lives.

The physical, mental, and spiritual experiences that constitute existence: the artistic life of a writer.

The interval of time between birth and death: She led a good, long life.

The interval of time between one's birth and the present: has had hay fever all his life.

A particular segment of one's life: my adolescent life.
The period from an occurrence until death: elected for life; paralyzed for life.

Slang. A sentence of imprisonment lasting till death.
The time for which something exists or functions: the useful life of a car.

A spiritual state regarded as a transcending of corporeal death.
An account of a person's life; a biography.

Human existence, relationships, or activity in general: real life; everyday life.

A manner of living: led a hard life.
A specific, characteristic manner of existence. Used of inanimate objects: “Great institutions seem to have a life of their own, independent of those who run them” (New Republic).
The activities and interests of a particular area or realm: musical life in New York.

A source of vitality; an animating force: She's the life of the show.
Liveliness or vitality; animation: a face that is full of life.

Something that actually exists regarded as a subject for an artist: painted from life.
Actual environment or reality; nature.

Next question...

Grainger
2nd Dec 2004, 20:15
"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR

con-pilot
2nd Dec 2004, 20:24
T n T, my friends and I have solved that question and have ended all turmoil and strife in the world while consuming adult beverages.

One small problem however, the next morning when we sober up no one can remember the answers. We keep meaning to designate a person to keep notes, but for some reason that never happens.

(Could be the adult beverages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nah)

:)

Loki
2nd Dec 2004, 20:28
Why should life mean anything?

I think life has a purpose.....it`s the way the cosmos has become aware.

Judging by the chaos in our little corner, it`s just not a very coherent consciousness......yet.

(that may be an extremely geocentric point of view)

Jerricho
2nd Dec 2004, 22:02
SOSDD

tall and tasty
2nd Dec 2004, 22:06
con-pilot

One small problem however, the next morning when we sober up no one can remember the answers. We keep meaning to designate a person to keep notes, but for some reason that never happens.

Take a Dictaphone with you and record it should be funny to listen to the next day!

TnT

con-pilot
3rd Dec 2004, 00:26
We tried that once T n T, still didn't work, too much nonsence came out.

(Still don't blame the adult beverages however)

Maybe you have been there, so to speak!:)

And it was rather funny, well actualy it was very funny!

PS I'm rather tall myself, 6' 5" or 4' 30".:p

ehwatezedoing
3rd Dec 2004, 04:19
Life is a one way ticket to.....certain death!
Better enjoy the travel me think :ok:

BlueWolf
3rd Dec 2004, 07:01
I'm not sure that life has a meaning; but I feel reasonably confident that it had something before it, and it will have something after it. So it probably has a purpose.

For what it's worth;

Be nice to people, kind to animals, and gentle to plants, just because you can.

Forgive the sorry pricks who trespass against you, unless they're real a$$holes, and you can kill them with impunity; if you can, do so.

Have sex as often as is humanly possible. Preferably with a partner.

Remember that in 100 years, none of this will matter.

Be happy. We're not here for a long time.:)

VFE
3rd Dec 2004, 14:25
Was just typing an answer when I was asked to do a household chore.....

"I dunno what you're doing on that computer that could be so bloody important!" she said.

I replied "I'm just trying to work out the meaning of life but don't let that bother you".

That conversation pretty much sums up the question don't you think? What is important to one man is not necessarily important to another and one persons meaning is not necessarily another persons meaning.

Basically, experience lifes experiences and enjoy each moment for it may be your last. This is difficult - we always make the schoolboy howler of getting dragged down by our propensity for "closeupness" - the mistake of looking at life through a crack in the wall or looking at the picture in the newspaper too close up so that we only see dots - if we move the paper back then we slowly begin to see the bigger picture......

Life ain't about the minutiae of things we've sadly evolved towards holding so dear to ourselves. It is about enjoying our freedom and realising the inherent beauty in everything around us. If you can make a concious decision to do this at least once a day for as long as you can (usually about 5 minutes max for the average human being before something trivial distracts us) then you'll be taking a step towards leading a much more appreciative and enjoyable life.

Failing that - just take the quick option and get pissed. :}

VFE.

itchy kitchin
3rd Dec 2004, 15:03
"Do what thou wiltst. That shall be the whole of the law"

So mote it be.
(10 bonus points for naming the quote)

VFE
3rd Dec 2004, 15:20
Aleister Crowley.

Do I win a prize?

VFE.

fishtits
3rd Dec 2004, 15:59
If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life?

It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.

Mitsugi Saotome

itchy kitchin
3rd Dec 2004, 16:18
Yes, VFE, you've won this fantastic star prize!!!

A year's supply of free air- courtesy of keep-breathing.com
"Breath it wisely, for you never know when it will be your last!"

JudyTTexas
4th Dec 2004, 00:08
I found "meaning" of life wasn't as important as "purpose" in life... Hence, reading the book "The Purpose Driven Life" confirmed for me and establishes meaning to life...

God Botherer, Inc.. :cool:

TURIN
4th Dec 2004, 09:12
I was always told that life was a sexually transmitted disease!

"Life, don't talk to me about life...."

Well someone had to say it! :\

Onan the Clumsy
4th Dec 2004, 13:46
Have sex as often as is humanly possible. Preferably with a partner. :hmm:

planepsycho
5th Dec 2004, 01:34
Life is like a journey....of who, what, where, when and why's.
So far so good:confused:

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Dec 2004, 07:30
I'm not at all sure that life has a meaning, but I am damn sure it has purpose. And that is to maintain and increase life. To that end I wish to copulate as much as possible. :D

tall and tasty
6th Dec 2004, 10:19
Hi everyone

On Sat at the bash someone asked me if I had discovered the answer to this question!

I think from the array of answers here there is no real answer it is up to the way you interpret the question

thanks again for making me laugh with some of them they are brilliant

TnT