PDA

View Full Version : Air Holland - BREAKING NEWS !

Captain Mercurius
2nd Dec 2004, 08:05
For all of us involved with commercial aviation, as passengers enthusiasts or even as pilots, we quite often find on the news papers or TV reportages about “amazing administrators or entrepreneurs” with such wisdom they can “drive” their companies to an absolute success, meanwhile others do fail in a such competitive and costly business.

It is also a fact that people is questioning about the ethics that are being used nowadays in commercial aviation industry.

Actions or procedures, that we did not see happening before, regardless the condition of the worldwide economy.

I am sure that the link below it is quite interesting and enlightening for all of us, involved with this profession.

Air Holland Story (http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?channel_id=1&story_id=14522)

Thousands of families have their futures directly linked to the companies they work for, however people are used as numbers for the sake of profits without any regard, and I think that these guys had no regard whatsoever.

Nobody wishes to jump, from a job to another job, it is very natural every one of us seeks for a safe job, were we can stay work, live our lives and grow our children in a safe environment.

This in my view is an extremely serious event in Aviation, because it clearly displays how far “administrators and entrepreneurs” can go for profits.
I just hope that after this, several rules and laws are going to be created to prevent the access of “Sharks” on this industry.

Safe Flying to all.

Mercurius

Edited by H to fix URL

Herp
2nd Dec 2004, 08:40
I think this is the article that Captain M was trying to link to:

Air Holland 'financed by drugs money'

30 November 2004

AMSTERDAM — Two directors of bankrupt firm Air Holland have been arrested on charges they financed the airline for years with illegal drugs money, it was reported Tuesday.

The arrested directors have been identified as former Air Holland chief executive Cees van D., 52, and the company's former financial director, Paul G., 42.

A total of seven people have been arrested on drugs charges amid allegations that the airline was used to set up a drugs route between the Netherlands, the Netherlands Antilles and Suriname.

Police have raided the homes of the seven suspects in recent weeks, accusing them of money laundering and smuggling at least 633kg of cocaine. The shipment was discovered several months ago in a container of coffee beans at Rotterdam Port.

According to a report in newspaper De Telegraaf, a spokesman for the public prosecution has confirmed the arrests. A total of EUR 50,000 and a firearm were also reportedly seized in the raids.

The suspects allegedly worked on assignment for a 37-year-old resident of The Hague. This person is currently being detained in Brazil after allegedly being found in possession of 50,000 ecstasy pills on 11 September.

The EUR 25 million allegedly earned by the drug dealing is believed to have been invested into Air Holland, but the company's planes are not thought to have been used for drug smuggling. The profits were also invested in real estate and other businesses.

A 34-year-old woman of Bussum and a 52-year-old Amersfoort man are accused of money laundering. Two Rotterdam residents aged 34 and 40 and a 32-year-old Portuguese man have been arrested on drug smuggling charges.

The financially-ailing Air Holland has been a source of controversy for some time. It previously hit the headlines after being granted permits by the aviation inspectorate despite the fact that it was almost bankrupt.

When Air Holland went bust in April 2004, the company left behind a debt of some EUR 30 million and Dutch entrepreneur Erik de Vlieger bought it out.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

QAR ASR
2nd Dec 2004, 09:49
Standing by for associated Monarch stories.........

surely not
2nd Dec 2004, 10:51
Sorry QAR SAR, what does that cryptic comment allude to????????

VIKING9
2nd Dec 2004, 11:31
Overheard recently:

ATC = Air Holland 1234, what is your requested flight level ?

AHL1234 = As high as I can get

Phoenix_X
3rd Dec 2004, 06:58
Welcome aboard, next to me my coke-pilot .... :)

Captain Mercurius
3rd Dec 2004, 07:47
It is unbelievable that few of you are making jokes about this matter.

If you belong to this industry, ask yourself…

“How this happened, right here in Europe?”

Are there more of this “entrepreneurs” looking for an opportunity?:}

Mercurius

Cruise Alt
3rd Dec 2004, 10:44
Just shows the state of aviation today.
Edited.
Hawk

VIKING9
3rd Dec 2004, 12:16
Captain Mercurius lighten up buddy. Serves em right for getting caught. Shame they had to drag down others with them....

Captain Mercurius
4th Dec 2004, 07:49
Viking 9

Am I missing a point?

On the other hand, overlooking something?

These guys do have officially registered companies in Holland, with employees working for them.

They appeared on TV as “saviours” of Air Holland in 2000.

virginblue
4th Dec 2004, 18:50
I can think of at least two failed European LCCs that have been surrounded by rumours that their main purpose was to be a money-laundering operation....

Vizcaya
10th Dec 2004, 11:51
The CEO of Holland Exel has been arrested today on suspicion of money laundering.

Holland Exel is the company that was formed out of the assets of the bankrupt Air Holland. Hollans Exel is part of the ExelAviationGroup, owned by IMCA which in turn is again owned by Dutch businessman Erik De Vlieger.

Never a dull moment in Dutch Aviation...! ;)