PDA

View Full Version : Herks NVG ex. , Abingdon

Neil Porter
1st Dec 2004, 21:53
Just to say to any of the 2 Herk crews that came to Abingdon tonight around 21.30hrs for "NVG Landings & Take Offs" - very impressive!
I took my father & others down to watch & it really shows the very best of airmanship from the Lyneham crews ,especially landing on an unlit runway...amazing stuff chaps!

Good to see the Lyneham Herks back here again - more of it please!!!!

www.abingdonfayre.com:

Razor61
1st Dec 2004, 21:56
Take a trip to Keevil for a night time wander and you'll see it more often. Been at it all week.

rafloo
1st Dec 2004, 22:07
Whilst not wanting to diminish any acts of profound airmanship and flying skills to the Herk guys.... to be honest chaps...Landing on an unlit runway at night on Goggs is easy...thats why we have Goggs. They make it look like daylight. Now, should the conditions be poor and the good 'ole millilux be on the bad side...well thats worth a round of applause.

elderforest
2nd Dec 2004, 12:25
Neil,

I agree - a top display of airmanship especially considering the fog and low temperatures at Abingdon last night.

I see the TAC-ies are due back on Friday night . . . I dunno . . . what some people will do to avoid their round down the pub !!

Bottoms up. :ok:

Ian.
(elderforest).

cwodavids
3rd Dec 2004, 19:03
hee hee had to laugh when i read this, for the herc guys this is nothing special or out of the ordinary, its basic flying stuff. try landing a helicopter in a confined area at night thats proper flying :)

Captain Gadget
3rd Dec 2004, 19:38
Hi all

Glad to hear that the old place is still being used properly - at least once in a while.

Flew the 'dog there '78-81. Still trying to do a decent stall turn right with full power on...

Gadget :ok:

Art Field
3rd Dec 2004, 19:57
Ah thats what the noise was, thought it was wrong for the usual chopper activity, sadly can't see Abingdon ever coming back to its proper owners, Dalton Barracks indeed.

Neil Porter
3rd Dec 2004, 20:21
With the regular Heli training, Motorgliders, the show each May & anything else that involves aircraft ....its alive alright!:ok:

Jackonicko
3rd Dec 2004, 21:46
Captain G,

O or L? We over-lapped (I was doing much the same, 79-82).