PDA

View Full Version : New trans Atlantic low cost carrier

Findo
1st Dec 2004, 19:22
This has appeared on PIKorg

Start up Carrier , Atlantic Express plans to launch low cost transatlantic flights from New York to UK , Germany and the netherlands. The airline has applied for the relevant licences to fly to variois UK airports including , Glasgow Prestwick, London Stansted/Gatwick, Manchester and Edinburgh.

The airline has a fleet of 3 B757 with services sue to start in August 2005.

from Airfares News.

I checked with a friend in the scheduling business who confirms they are a serious outfit but cannot yet confirm the details quoted.

:D :D

Oshkosh George
1st Dec 2004, 21:43
Found this link on Google,just a small bit of information------

http://www.luchtzak.be/article6512.html

jabird
2nd Dec 2004, 10:23
For those too lazy to visit the link, as it's only a very short story:

OO-SBZ writes "David Spurlock, a former British Airways strategy manager plans to launch this summer low-cost services to New York from the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom, reports Travelweekly.

The startup, called Atlantic Express would operate three Boeing 757s upgrading to four in 2005. The venture is backed by CCG Investments of San Francisco and the Connecticut-based Spurlock Family Trust."

Well it's been discussed before, but I really don't see this working. Consider the cost per mile of a £190 LON to NYC return flight, and compare that with even the £1+tax Ryanair flights (charges included) - we already have loco transatlantic. This is made possible by the "subsidy" from freight & premium pax, so is loco, especially on this route, really going to work? Wasn't there a Sky Bus or something promising this a few years back from LTN to Porstmouth NH - linking with Easy and another no frills in the US - so you'd have 3 point to point flights joined up with no guarantee of either linking with the other?

I'm sure there is a market for charter operators to adapt some of their marketing proposition - there must be a fair demand for decently priced one way flights, especially amongst home owners in Florida - but I can't see a business plan going against the majors on such a crowded route working.

At the other end of the scale, we've got Flywho going for the premium market from BHX - but essentially direct selling and offering one way pricing. I don't think that will work either, but I want to be proven wrong. I just don't think Atlantic Express (which btw is a bus company on Staten Island, so they won't even get the right domain for this) will work. Period.

Eurekadelta
2nd Dec 2004, 10:54
Atlantic (Express) is also a brand of Air Atlantique Coventry.