PDA

View Full Version : More stress being a commuter than a pilot.

flapsforty
1st Dec 2004, 16:19
Now why don't that (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4052861.stm) surprise me one bit?
Life of Reilly, those pilots. ;)

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Dec 2004, 16:25
I totally agree, Flaps. Now where did I put that relaxation aid you showed me how to work? :E

Paterbrat
1st Dec 2004, 16:31
Now was that the stick... or the throttle, Biggles?

And how about the stresses of a comuter pilot? Double the load eh what!

gingernut
1st Dec 2004, 16:39
compared the heart rate and blood pressure of 125 commuters with those of pilots and police officers in training exercises.

but one would expect pilots and riot cops to be medically and physically fitter anyway !

Another bum bit of research which serves no useful purpose!

Paterbrat
1st Dec 2004, 16:46
Like the one that said the heart rates of brain surgeons in mid op, pilots approaching minimus in actual and a bloke approaching climax are all about the same

pigboat
1st Dec 2004, 17:44
More stress being a commuter than a pilot...

Then commuter pilots must really be stressed...:rolleyes:

Davaar
1st Dec 2004, 17:51
Paterbrat:

It is almost fifty years ago, but how clearly one remembers emerging from clag into an avenue of Clydeside cranes on GCA to Abbotsinch. I had thought I was the only one who noticed these things.

Fujiflyer
1st Dec 2004, 18:45
It always puzzles me somewhat when stress is compared like that as if it were a single dimensioned quantity, ie could be simply measured by a scalar. For example I hate being stuck in the general road traffic so much it is one of the reasons I walk to work instead of driving there and it (would) hence otherwise cause me some degree of stress due to me being unhappy and frustrated. However I don't really see a comparison with the stress involved when doing a "difficult" flight - its hard at the time (therefore obviously stressful) but in a good/nice sort of way. Hence the satisfaction and feeling of achievement felt afterwards.

To my mind one has to completely separate the "constructive," positive type stress from the nasty negative stuff. No comparison otherwise.

Maybe I'm missing something... :ugh:

FujiF :)

ontrackfor
1st Dec 2004, 20:32
"More stress being a commuter than a pilot" -News Item

I'm not sure what point they are trying to prove here but one things for sure, stress can be caused by all sorts of things, one of the main causes is ignorance .
Remember the saying "man/woman fears what they dont know."? Well not knowing much about how public transport really works would probably fair put the wind up a few commuters. Maybe the headline should be changed to read:

"Commuters suffer extreme ignorance"

Capt.KAOS
1st Dec 2004, 22:08
"Switching off the mind, turning people into zombies for 90 minutes, seems to me a quite appalling waste of talent." Complete and utter bollox. Nothing nicer than a traffic jam; sit back and relax. No nagging wife/kids at home, no nagging employees at the office. Peace at last, listening to Chopin's Nocturne in E minor played by Horowitz on my Alpine set.