PDA

View Full Version : Any ageist airlines out there?!

fatmansan
1st Dec 2004, 15:25
I'm 28 and thinking about it starting along to path to becoming a pilot and wondered if those of you out there who had experience of starting your training in your late 20s/early 30s had difficulty securing work, where age was cited as a barrier.

Billy M
1st Dec 2004, 15:59
Hello Oriental Fat Man :D

I wouldn't say that you age is "too old". You certainly find younger around, but equally there are plenty of people who secure good jobs at your age and older. I would doubt many airlines would regard a 30 year old as being "past it".

There are plenty of people here who can hopefully inspire you with their tales.

Good luck,
Billy M

RoyHudd
2nd Dec 2004, 05:47
Go for it! Quite a few wide-body captains around who got started in their 30's. Mind you, enthusiasm and resilience, plus required resources are essential. Good luck to you. RH.

taxitoalpha
2nd Dec 2004, 08:49
I too am hopeful (at 30) however I was put off by the GAPAN report foud at http://www.gapan.org/career/survey.htm

Of the airlines surveyed (admittedly only a few) the answers to the question Q3 Between what ages would your airline consider recruiting low hour first officers? was...

Youngest Oldest
18 26
19 30 (x2)
20 26
20 35
21 27
21 38

Regards

Richard

G SXTY
2nd Dec 2004, 10:23
Danny might disagree - he got his first job aged 37. There are many, many 30-something career-changers out there.

taxitoalpha
2nd Dec 2004, 10:34
Thats good news.
It would be interesting to see who these airlines are though that responded to this survey and who have an upper age limit.

RVR800
2nd Dec 2004, 11:27
For an FO position if you DOB is at or before 1960s file under 'B' in other words...

Of course next year the CAA will be obliged to publish such data
when asked...

Initial Multi-Crew Type Ratings/IRs age on completion?

That would inform customer choice when considering whether its a risk worth taking...

At the moment such info is suppressed...

RoyHudd
2nd Dec 2004, 16:34
Got my first A320 FO job aged 46. Started PPL training aged 41 in USA and went from there. First widebody aged 50. Anything possible, although nothing guaranteed. (Except a hard time with BA, who don't seem to like oldies)

Bit of luck helps too.