PDA

View Full Version : New U2 album

Chintito
1st Dec 2004, 15:18
any else give it a listen? it took a bit to get into but get into it i did.
ve got a feeling only time wil tell where it stands with the others but i reckon its up there with their greats.
Musically not very ambititious but as standalone tracks i havent listened to anything this good in a long while. thoughts?

Cowbell
1st Dec 2004, 15:22
Sadly, I think it is just over produced nonsense. Where is the U2 of old? :{

They are about as shallow as Britney these days.

SkySista
1st Dec 2004, 15:30
unfortunately I think the last good CD was 'Best of 1980-1990'....

a couple of standout songs since then, but....

where's the 'Unforgettable Fire'? Where the Streets have No Name? Pride? etc etc etc.....

(Will have to give it another spin just to be sure though...... ;) )

Sky

Ozzy
1st Dec 2004, 16:36
unfortunately I think the last good CD was 'Best of 1980-1990'.... Nah, ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND was brilliant and marked their come back to form. I bought the new album last week but have not listened to it as I bought it as a gift for Xmas...will have to wait til then :E

Ozzy

El Grifo
1st Dec 2004, 17:17
Listened to a lot of their stuff, seen them perform live, fraid to say they do nothin for me.

Always been supicious of blokes who wear sunglasses indoors.

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Jerricho
1st Dec 2004, 17:21
They are about as shallow as Britney these days.

True, but Britney is much nicer to look at.

Boss Raptor
1st Dec 2004, 18:49
Rubbish - sounds like it could be anyone and is a lot of wailing with no real rock beat or tune like the old stuff - last decent U2 album was Unforgettable Fire think it is called with the burgundy cover

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Dec 2004, 18:57
Always regarded U2 as being a little too luvvie and up themselves. Music not all that great either but I reckon it would be a boring old world if we all agreed, eh?

John Hiatt on the other hand......

Astra driver
1st Dec 2004, 19:06
This latest album is a big dissapointment, I find the first track somewhat catchy, after that I find myself constantly hitting the skip button.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Cowbell
1st Dec 2004, 22:31
True, but Britney is much nicer to look at.

True very true.

DC Meatloaf
2nd Dec 2004, 03:59
I agree with Ozzy that ATYCLB was probably their best since The Joshua Tree (which is probably among my two or three favorite albums of all time -- and I'm not even much of a U2 fan). But I think Atomic Bomb is right up there with ATYCLB. Heck, by virtue of "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" alone I'd rank it in their top 3.

I've listened to the album for about a week now and it's gotten better with each listen. Really seems like this is U2 at their most confident. And I disagree with Boss R, I don't see how anyone could mistake the sound -- especially of The Edge's guitar on this album -- as anyone but U2.

But I agree that Britney's more fun to ogle (are they real?). :E

BombayDuck
2nd Dec 2004, 04:22
Sigh.

Cant believe people would stoop so low as to compare U2 with that piece of trash...

All that you Cant Leave Behind is probably U2s best album since Joshua Tree - how the hell can they be slagged off like that?

I havent given How To Dismantle... a listen yet, but am just waiting till it arrives in store here so that i can go buy it. this is one album i refuse to look for on the internet...

Bono, Edge and Mullen are good, Clayton is God.

Erwin Schroedinger
2nd Dec 2004, 06:19
U2 are overrated and conceited.

Anyone see the Elton John tribute?

The comments from the "U2 chappy" were nauseatingly overdone. Did he
think we all believed such claptrap?

(At least E John, in his very early years used to be excellent. Sadly been living off
that reputation for many years, but that's another story.)

Andi
2nd Dec 2004, 10:24
Hi Folks,
du nou about new album but personally I
think that "joshua tree" was one of the best .they had brilliant songs on their other albums but the best I have from them is "U2 GO HOME DVD" live from
SLANE CASTLE in Ireland.
Certainly it takes some time to "hear in"
but fortunately "taste" is different for each person.
So long,take care everybody,greets:E :ok:

Tower Ranger
2nd Dec 2004, 19:54
IMHO U2`s latest is right up there with their best. To save repetition DC Meatloaf took the words right out of my mouth. The copy i got has the DvD with it and if you want to know what U2 are all about all you need to do is check out the Temple Bar mix of Vertigo on that. A bunch of guys that know where they`ve been, know where they wanna go and are having fun getting there.

Solid Rust - Rather spookily I`m just playing John Hiatt`s Bring the Family at this very mo,,weird.

Two other albums I would commend , Solarized - Ian Brown and Final Straw- Snow Patrol.

DC Meatloaf
3rd Dec 2004, 00:42
Ahhh...I've been really enjoying the Snow Patrol album, Tower Ranger, so maybe I should check out Ian Brown. :)

The other album that's been in heavy rotation on my iPod is Jimmy Eat World's newest, Futures.

BombayDuck
3rd Dec 2004, 03:26
Snow Patrol was recommended to me by an English chap who'd come to watch the Ind-Aus test in Bombay at the stadium. Recognized him by his Fulham jersey :) since the first day was washed out by rain more or less, we were chatting for long....

very very good music - liked Songs for Polar Bears a lot too. Thanks Darren!!

now there was this other band he talked about... what was that?

Kabinayas? Kabaniyas or something....

Boss Raptor
4th Dec 2004, 10:48
Having listened a few more times over the week some are still awful wails but a few are growing on me - City of Blinding Lights and A Man & A Women are quite good and more like the older stuff

aidanf
4th Dec 2004, 11:17
Saw them on Jonathan Wosses show last night and they were quite excellent (performance part anyway, didn't think much of them in the interview).

I recall reading many years ago that Bono always had this thing about scanning to find someone in the audience who didn't want to be there and and was determined not to enjoy his/her self. He would then focus his energies on turning that person around. Probably doesn't work anymore with those enormous stadium shows, but might explain why he ended last night shouting at a guy in the audience (having moved among them for the second half of 'I will follow') "stand up ya miserable bastid"!!!! If nothing else it showed the naval-gazing / smilie bands a thing or two about 'performance'. :)

Chintito
4th Dec 2004, 11:35
id like to see the people saying U2 are as petty and superficial as Britney repeat those words again having seen the performance on the J ross show.

SuperOwl
4th Dec 2004, 19:00
Last night they showed a lot of bands how it should be done.

The performance of "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" was everything but shallow. It was very, very moving.