PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Any advice gratefully received!

naughtybutnice6792
1st Dec 2004, 10:52
I have my PPL, Night Rating and all the ATPL theory exams. I am currently hour building (here in the UK) and am looking at places for my CPL/ME/IR. How on earth do I choose!?! I need feedback from you guys! I think I want to do my IR in the UK, but am open to advice and suggestions regarding any of it!! I have been told what to look for in a flying school ,but there are so many pro's and con's with all of them!! Thankyou!

dann1405
1st Dec 2004, 12:10
Hi Naughty, I'm in a similar position to you and am doing all my training at Flightpass at Exeter Airport. Looked into a number of different places before settling here and can recommend them extremely highly. Good, very experienced people and small enough so that your training is constructed to your own personal needs. Very friendly but professional atmosphere. Their website is www.flightpass.co.uk most of the info and contact details are on there. PM me if you want to know any more about 'em. Good luck with it all,
Dan

Speedbird744
1st Dec 2004, 13:27
Highly recommend Naples Air Center, Florida.

They do the JAA CPL, but where ever you choose for the JAA IR it has to be done in Europe.

Ever thought of doing the FAA IR while doing your JAA CPL at Naples. Then doing the 15-20hr conversion anywhere in the UK. That will save you a little bit of money and enable you to use that saving for the MCC Course.

silverknapper
1st Dec 2004, 13:54
Try searching. You'll hear everyone go on about individual schools so why not start narrowing it down. Area is a good place to start.
Then visit them or call them. It really is horses for courses.

SK

custer66
1st Dec 2004, 14:12
Yeah go for NAC if you want to be treated like dirt and worry about being screwed every step of the way.
Anybody ever notice that it is always NAC that gets recommended by some unusually pleased "student" and never some other school.Big mystery.....
My recommendation is avoid that place like the plague,
cause take it from me,
once you sign up and they have youre money,
they will do the same to you:yuk:

Penworth
1st Dec 2004, 14:45
Custer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do NAC not operate a pay as you go policy whereby as long as you keep your account in credit they will be happy? Also, can I ask what training you did there and why did they avoid you like the plague once they had your money? :confused:

Naughtybutnice

What I did was I found out all the schools that provided the training I was looking for (from Lasors) then kept my ears open on here and elsewhere as to what everybody thought of them. After considering my options for a couple of months I had a pretty good idea of the decent ones and the not so decent ones. Once I had narrowed down my options somewhat, I considered the specifics, cost, aircraft used, amount of time on sim, what was included in the cost, and location, both in terms of distance from me, and in terms of suitability as a training location. Arguably the most important thing is to visit your chosen few schools and then pick the one you feel happiest with.

Although I haven't started my advanced training yet, the ones I chose were NAC (hence my interest in Custer's post) for my CPL and ME and Atlantic Flight Training for my IR. Only time will tell if they're good choices!

PW

Speedbird744
1st Dec 2004, 14:46
EVERY school wants your money at the end of the day!
But I found NAC to be honest and very approachable concerning all issues regarding flight training.
Theres always ONE person who feels the need to bad mouth them.
And custer66 is the only one i've found for a good year now!
I say do a search on NAC and the majority agree with me.

custer66
1st Dec 2004, 17:33
Speedbird,thanks for setting me straight.
I hereby let everyone know,that I,Custer66,was wrong and Speedbird has shown me the way.
It took less than 2 hours for a member of the NAC fanclub to crush the opposition that dared to have a different opinion.

Notice the way he immediately made me the bad guy and made it clear that I was the only one to dislike NAC in a whole year

Well speedy I can tell you that 90% of students currently at NAC
hate the place,I should know,I am still there.
I guess its your word against mine

And Speedy what is this,
"come to NAC and do youre FAA instrument here"

Ok that you like the place but whats this about advertising for them?Come on Speedy,give it up

sorry I just checked,
it took him 20 minutes to correct me,
my bad:ok:

Speedbird744
1st Dec 2004, 17:55
Hehe, let me make this clear.
I am only recommending them because I and many others had reasonably good experiences over there.
That was back in May this year. Maybe things have changed since then!?

I never suggested he SHOULD do his FAA instrument there, NaughtybutNice is looking for ideas and opinions and I'm simply promoting mine. This has nothing to do with being part of a "fanclub" or advertising for NAC!

So custer66 you disagree with me, that really hurts me!
In any case why don't you actually describe for everyone what "bad" experiences you're having there..

custer66
1st Dec 2004, 21:29
thanks speedy, I will
for starters you feel like an unwelcome guest even though you are paying their bills
the boss,who usually sits at the front desk is the most primitive man I have ever met in my life(shows you how far you can get with rich parents)
the man is one step above a neanderthal,doesnt have a clue how to run a business,treats the customers with a total lack of respect,kind of like "give me your money,now beat it"
You get the point,he is a real a-hole,is this a man you want to give your money to you ask
I sure dont
some of the people there are ok but you know in the end most of your money goes to the "chimp"
If anyone does come here,stay on your toes,
or youll get ripped off,they are sneaky that way

thats the inside scoop on NAC, at least how I see it

Speedbird744
1st Dec 2004, 23:17
Yes custer understood.
The guy is Richard! And actually at first (everyday in fact!) he is a little intimidating! But actually a very honest and sound bloke.

Most instructors are from Norway and hour builders for airline jobs but still a great and professional bunch.

Sorry to hear your misfortunes there.

naughtybutnice6792
2nd Dec 2004, 19:39
Thanks for the help guys! Keep it coming! (I'm a woman by the way - one of you referred to me as a he!!)

Speedbird744
2nd Dec 2004, 19:44
You know I only just realised that!

Terribly sorry! hehe

custer66
2nd Dec 2004, 20:30
naughtybutnice(my kind of girl):D
if I can help one person not to make the same mistake that I did,
I have done a good job.
You dont want to go to a flyingschool that is run by greed

speedy, as you were

Ninety-Nines
2nd Dec 2004, 22:20
Thank you for keep me amused during a horrendous day of Performance study.....

One question, if you are still at NAC why not leave?

thereceiver2004
2nd Dec 2004, 22:29
custer66

pardon the expresion but YOU seem to be a real A** hole.

you come on this forum after being registered for ONE WHOLE DAY andd slag off the to the world, the school and the people who run the school. NICE ONE you WILL go along way.

I personally have been to NAC on three separate occasions over 4 years and due to return there in the next week again. this is because i have found the school to be good at what they do, the instructors excellent, facilities good, maintenance good and above all good value for money compared to others.

before you shoot me down in second and accuse me of being a pro_NAC supported on the bandwagon of various supportes such as SPITFIRE747, CARLIE_ZULU and CAT3C i must say I have been to 3 other schools in the USA,2 in florida and one in Arizona and of all, i can honestly say that NAC is by far the best from what I have seen. I am a CPL and a flight instructor in the UK and hae recommended to some of my students if they want to do some flying while the weather is bad here go to USA and NAC... why..? because of my experiences there.. i get nothing from NAC for this and wouldn't expect to.

You will soon begin to learn that the global aviation industry is a very small community and people get to know others very very quickly, NAC has been around for a long time, sponsor this site with adverts, ad have many many hundreds of satisfied customers, many of whom now I know are airline flying.

If you have a grudge with "the guy on the desk taking your money" then you may be going into the wrong industry, where ever you go there will always be a man on the desk or a girl in a back office taking your money, they provide a service, you receive a service, so YOU pay..

Also i might suggest the anonomous aspect of this message board enable you to hide.
Since you have had such a bad experience, would you care to elaborate more on those rather than just come and rubbish a school, especially as your first post since joining.

if you do decide to stick in this industry you will soon become to know that nothing is perfect, infact alot if far from perfect, even the biggest and "best" schools in te UK, USA, Spain, Aus have there faults.. its called LIFE.

i get the feeling this is another attempt to start a fresh post about NAC that will end in a slanging match and end up being withdrawn by the moderators again.

fly safely
TR

Speedbird744
2nd Dec 2004, 22:36
Being the leader of the fanclub, I can only say that before Custer chose NAC he probably heard all the positive and honest feedback students had experienced at the school otherwise he wouldn't have enrolled.

Proves there are still satisfied customers around, not one has told me of being ripped off by the boss. (btw Custer...he is an active ppruner so watch your words.)

Remember they are ALL money making schemes but when you start comparing NAC with schools like IFTA, Ormond beach and many more across the USA, NAC actually puts others to shame.

JABI
3rd Dec 2004, 02:14
Couldn't stay out of this one.
Custer 66, you are definitely NOT the only one with a bad experience going to NAC.
In the last 2 years I've posted several times on several different threads, some of them very recent so Speedbird 744 get your numbers straight.
Therereceiver 2004, you need some special attention here.
Join date 13 oct 2004, 10 (!) posts you must have a :mad: load of experience by now, since you didn't bother updating your profile, it still says PPL...and now you claim to be what exactly? The one and only holder of the truth huh...:zzz:
By all means keep referring to NAC, your students will love you for it.

Kind regards, keep up the good work and Custer66 do not be bullied away by them :ok:

scroggs
3rd Dec 2004, 07:09
I have no problem with people posting their experiences, good or bad, about any school, but mindless ranting of the kind Custer66 indulges in is no help to anyone.

For your posts to be of use to others seeking advice, you need to be specific about the shortcomings or good points of your subject. Random allegations of 'greed' and name-calling are ridiculously immature, and do nothing to aid the credibility of your argument - therefore you are likely to be ignored.

However, you may not be ignored if your tirades turn into direct attacks on individuals who may feel aggrieved enough to take action against you, so be careful!

Talk facts and events; give examples of service - good or bad. Let people make their own judgements from your experiences - not from your opinions. If you just want a bad-tempered rant, go down the pub with your mates.

Scroggs

Kyprianos Biris
3rd Dec 2004, 19:16
I was in Naples Air Center on August 2004 for my FAA PPL ME IR.

The service was excellent and the people there were proffessional.

Yes, I had to keep my account in credit while flying but it was a business, the service was provided damn well and I see no reason why should they not require you to have an account in credit.

During my stay there I met few folks that simply couldn't bother to adhere to some basic disciplines Flying Training - or service provided by a business - required and they left NAC for other more "relaxed" schools. If in the future I hear their name on the PA as flight crew I'd be worried.

I bet people moaning are the usual hideouts using Internet anonymity and just enjoying having a lough on someone's face they simply didn't like just because pprune is a public forum.

I have posted since August a thread on my experiences there incl. some photos in their FAQ forum.
http://naples-air-center.com/qanda/viewtopic.php?t=163

Alex Whittingham
3rd Dec 2004, 19:56
Hey Ninety-Nines, would you consider posting under your real name? At the very least adjust your profile so its clear who you are, its so much easier for occasional posters and visitors who don't understand the anonymous prods. Fits in with the spirit of the bulletin board too.

custer66
3rd Dec 2004, 21:06
same old story..
somebody has a complaint about NAC,and gets butchered by the same people over and over again

Ninety-nines,glad to have amused you,you need all the amusement you can get,I hear performance is a real bitch

receiver 2004,you must have confused me with someone else,Im not an asshole,just someone who works hard for his money and expects to be treated with respect when he decides to part with it

speedy-nice to hear from you again,nothing really slips by you does it

Jabi,as you can see we are heavily outnumbered(only here on prune,not in the real world)but we know the truth,
I give them max 2 years before they go belly up
(which is sad in a way,because they could be a good company,most of the people working there are normal,but in the end,the guy at the front desk is "NAC")

moderator,I apologise for the language,but some people just bring out the worst in me

And last but not least,little Kypranos,decide to join in on the discussion.The boy has no clue of what he is talking about.He talks about more relaxed schools.Naples is the most relaxed(in a bad way)place Ive ever been to.Discipline is zero,its a joke.
And mr? Biris,just cause I dont like the place doesnt mean I automatically have to be an idiot or a reject as you seem to think.
Get back to me in about 6-12 months,will see who will be sitting in the flightdeck and who will be hourbuilding for life.
Hell if you behave,I might even send you a ticket,meet you in person,teach you some manors
This poor guy is a perfect example of NAC policy,if you dont agree with us you are an idiot

I only registered to give MY opinion on NAC,cause of all the buttering they have been receiving,which in MY opinion is completely misleading and undeserved.Take it or leave it.

This "one post wonder" is signing out for good
it was nice debating (slugging)with y all:ouch:

Speedbird744
3rd Dec 2004, 21:53
Get back to me in about 6-12 months,will see who will be sitting in the flightdeck and who will be hourbuilding for life

You think that highly of yourself? How can there be a place on the flightdeck for someone with such an attitude!

I for one actually have a job on a jet lined up for next year and give NAC all the credit for their instruction.

regards,
s744

spitfire747
3rd Dec 2004, 22:36
hey come on guys.. tis the season to be jolly.........

Ninety-Nines
4th Dec 2004, 13:37
Thanks for looking me up........I am sure that if you had that time to look me up and take a Jabi that you would have seen that anyone looking at my previous posts will see my proper name on many occasions......I just do not always find the need to advertise myself all the time when I give advice:ok:

would you consider posting under your real name...Fits in with the spirit of the bulletin board too. :confused:

I looked up custer66, speedbird744, JABI and Scroggs, Spitfire 747, but cannot find them in the phonebook:p

mateyboy
4th Dec 2004, 13:43
Wolverhampton Flight Centre. Just done an FIC there and wish I had done my CPL/IR there as well. Nice people. Good planes, nice enviroment. Good prices apparently. Make sure you buy a pack of biscuits though......(otherwise Ron will have you)

davey147
4th Dec 2004, 17:33
Well I went to NAC last May, and cant really fault it.

You say they are taking your money off you, well infact most businesses you go to will do that, its just a fact you have to accept.

NAC never asked me for my money once, infact I went into the red on my account with them by $470 and they never even told me.

The only complaint I have with them is that the vending machine does get low on stock sometimes, but everything else is good.

Im planning on returning next May to do my IMC rating

Pinga
5th Dec 2004, 13:46
Interesting posts Custer! Is that Custer as in Custers last stand or first and last stand? (you registered just to take a pop at NAC?) Seems like somebody else who doesn't like the success of NAC. The fact is like it or not, NAC is probably and is in my view the best training establishment in Florida. Richard likes to do everything right including running the place well. Yes, first and foremost he is a businessman but a very fair one. I know that money is a dirty word to some folk but the fact is that Richard runs a tight ship, everybody gets treated fairly and what is the problem with taking money? Only a downright poor businesssman doesn't keep on top of the cashflow.

The flight schools that go bust are the ones that don't keep on top of the cashflow and let everybody do as they please, all to the frustration of other students. I have yet to hear a reliable criticism of NAC although sour grapes from competitors and other odd souls who are resentful of Richard and NAC are more common.

Keep up the good work Richard, Nikki et al.

custer66
5th Dec 2004, 15:10
you know your history,Pinga, very impressive.Did you have to look it up?
You seem to know an awful lot about Richard and NAC. Any personal relations,or are you just in love with the man? I mean that is just a little too much affection from a regular student,dont you think?
Yeah I am an angry competitor(you caught me) that wants to drag the good name of NAC through the mud.After all they are the best school in Florida(then how come its mostly empty?)
I think most of these people kind of prove my point that something is wrong here with NAC.
They seem to take my comments just a little bit to personal.
We have all heard the urban legend of the regular ppruners that get the V.I.P. treatment at NAC just so that they can keep blowing smoke up their asses.I guess all legends have some truth to them.
And,Pinga,dont contradict your own posse.
Davey says-"I went into red on my account with them by $470 and they never told me"
and you say-"only a downright poor businessman doesnt keep on top of the cashflow."
Sorry to be the one to tell you Pinga,but I think you just got deleted from the V.I.P list.

I signed out for good the last time,but Pinga just made it too hard for me to resist,thanks Pinga,we could always use a good man(or woman)like yourself:8 (I love these little dudes,they are so cute):sad: -that one is my favorite

Pinga
5th Dec 2004, 17:14
Mostly empty? - You wish! :p Richard is a good boss who does a good job. Me? just yet another entirely satisfied student.

I'm really not surprised that people take your comments (read rubbish ;) ) personally.

thereceiver2004
5th Dec 2004, 21:41
Custer

I signed out for good the last time,but Pinga just made it too hard for me to resist,thanks Pinga

why did you sign in, rubbish a school and then sign out for good, is that your avation career over already.

can i ask what you were you were doing over there..PPL, NIGHT, CPL... ???

Speedbird744
5th Dec 2004, 21:49
thereceiver2004:

Custer is at NAC right at this very minute and clearly hasn't even finished his program of study out there.
So why he comes on here, wasting his own time when he could be studying his books!
He should wait to complete his licences before making such a strong case of dissatisfaction.

custer66
5th Dec 2004, 22:50
getting better at this prune stuff,did a check on good old Pinga,
its so obvious that he or she is somehow connected to NAC.
Sorry Pinga,just a little too many references of us (NAC) against them (other schools) in your posts,but its ok Pinga,I know, desperate times require desperate measures.
So Pinga,if you please,
tell us how good NAC is again......

this time Im signing out for good,even if another easy target like Pinga decides to join in on the fun

Speedy,good to hear from you again,thanks for playing

the receiver,my career hasnt just ended,it has just begun baby,
it has just begun

:ok:

Pinga
6th Dec 2004, 20:05
Silly boy! go play somewhere else!

Charlie Zulu
7th Dec 2004, 22:56
Oh dear...

I feel the need to respond but with such school boy/girl banter that is being flung around the school yard I believe my time will be better served by getting on with something constructive like...

...trying to stay awake whilst studying for the ATPLs as I for one am looking to find myself on a flight deck one day in the future.

All we are asking is for Custer to provide some real hard facts with regards to his (or her) experience(s) at NAC.

But to get something straight before this all starts again...

I am not an employee at NAC and I am not family of its staff. I do not receive any benefit in any way whatsoever for recommending NAC and I wouldn't want too as that would make my own recommendations a little biased.

Yes I have been to other schools in the USA, such as those in California and would recommend those schools too.

Oh and although this is an anonymous board and I have no need to do so, I'm going to provide my real name...

Best wishes,

Richard Thomas.

spitfire747
8th Dec 2004, 19:54
I am here at NAC now, the weather is warm the sun is shinning, I am in the Wellesley Hotel along .. no complaints from any of the students here

Charlie Zulu.. I PROMISE N991AC will be in good working order for your return.....:ok:

Charlie Zulu
8th Dec 2004, 20:08
Awe Spity, don't do that to me!!!

Now I'm going to be dreaming of the warm sunshine, sweating hot in N991AC (a Seminole if anyone is listening)...

Oh well, in 1 week, 2 hours and 10 minutes Joanne and myself shall be landing in Bangkok for our Christmas and New Year in Thailand. Whahey.

Spitfire... if you do bend it then they'll have about three months to fix it anyway as I won't be there until the end of March and then that'll be for some exams. It'll be the middle of April before I'll have my hands on the Seminole once again.

Nice plane, isn't it? The grin still planted on your face? Wait until you get to do aysemetric holds oh er forgot you're doing the JAA sylabus and not the FAA one. Oops.

:D

Allanhu
9th Dec 2004, 00:33
Hey Spitty, nice to hear from you. How is it going out there?
Thanks for turning up at the club the other day, and i'm sorry we could not take the Diamond up, the weather was pants. Drop me a line when you get home, and I will arrange something.
Allan.

spitfire747
11th Dec 2004, 19:04
Allanhu

nice to hear from you
the weather is warm, the sun is shinning, the beer is cold the flying is great...
few CBs just now hence i am on here but will be up in an hour or two.
look forward to the ride in the diamond !
see you soon
:O