PDA

View Full Version : Control Towers Listed

DOC.400
1st Dec 2004, 08:54
News item on R4 this morning (interview at Bassingborne) that some airfield control towers are to be listed grade 2, therefore hopefully preserving them.

A result!!

Although I hope the constraints of the listing won't prejudice the upkeep of these buildings.

Some hangers should be listed too.

Rgds
DOC

vintage ATCO
1st Dec 2004, 16:06
Yes, I heard that. Good job too. Didn't actually hear who was being interviewed. Was it the chap from Bassingbourn?

DOC.400
1st Dec 2004, 16:08
It was -can't remember his name.

And I DID spell Bassingbourn wrong... :-(

Rgds
DOC

Captain Airclues
1st Dec 2004, 19:28
The control tower at Barton (www.webbaviation.flyer.co.uk/tour_of_barton/tour_of_barton.htm) , which is probably the oldest operational control tower in the world, is a listed building.

Airclues

Captain Airclues
8th Dec 2004, 16:54
Another listed control tower is at Shoreham (www.thearchiveshoreham.co.uk/archive.htm)

Does anyone know of any more in the UK?

Airclues

PS. I know that 'The Beehive' at LGW is listed, but did that building incorporate a control tower?

Atcham Tower
8th Dec 2004, 18:41
Yes it did and it seems to have been the first with angled windows to eliminate reflections.

No comment
8th Dec 2004, 22:13
I think the runners for the jetbridges (propbridges?!!!) are part of the listed property. if you go down there you'll see them extending into the car park...

pubsman
20th Dec 2004, 10:02
I seem to remember reading that the Control Tower at East Fortune in East Lothian (home of the Museum of Flight) had been given some status regarding Listing, Heritage or whatever? Anybody any info on that?

DOC.400
20th Dec 2004, 12:58
It is!!

Building Address:

East Fortune Airfield, Control Tower

Date Listed:29/11/1990

Category: B

Council: East Lothian

Rgds
DOC

spekesoftly
21st Dec 2004, 09:23
The 1930s control tower and terminal at Speke Airport became a grade II listed building in the early 1980s. After standing empty and unused for some 20 years, is was renovated and converted in to a 4 star hotel, retaining much of its original appearance (http://www.airfield-research-group.co.uk/Speke_Terminal-Tower_24.6.03_BHA.jpg).