PDA

View Full Version : Landing procedures 300CB

Lightning_Boy
1st Dec 2004, 03:48
Sorry for sounding a bit think, but is there a H/V diagram for landing in the Schweizer 300CB. Was coming into land today and was told I was travelling a bit quick. Got me thinking about the dead mans curve. Had a look in the POH, obviously there was H/V for standard recommeded take off prodedures, but all it said for landing was reduce speed to 53KTS for a normal approach and reduce collective for required R.O.D. On approaching desired landing spot, reduce air speed and R.O.D until in the hover. How far away is "approaching desired landing spot" not to put yourself on the wrong side of the curve?

Many Thanks

LB

Flingwing207
1st Dec 2004, 04:40
Remember what "drives" the energy portion of H/V curve - is there enough total energy, in the right mix, to get you (and your airchine) near the ground with low ROD, low airspeed, and high (enough) RRPM to cushion the landing?

So the H/V curve is built around higher-power maneuvers - high-speed cruise, hovering, and takeoff. Takeoff is critical because it is the time you can easily be caught too high and too slow with a lot of collective in (say 26" in the 300CB). Lose your engine here, and the RRPM drops way down with you not having the airspeed to get it back or arrest the ROD.

However, on approach, you are typically holding a low power setting, usually well below 20" until around ETL. If the donk quits, you will lose much less RRPM, and the autorotative airflow will establish more quickly. So the only time the H/V curve starts to tickle that hindbrain is on a steep approach - the steeper the approach, the more power pulled, and the closer you are to trouble if the music stops.

cl12pv2s
1st Dec 2004, 04:41
I know this has come up before so I'll be brief.

Very simply, the HV curve is much smaller when landing for a number of reasons....lower pitch setting, already in descent (so upflow throught the rotors). These all make it less critical if there is an engine failure.

However, there is always a risk, and so rather than think that it 'doesn't exist' for landing, just imagine it getting smaller.

The dead man's curve grows and shrinks depending on the configuration and part of flight. Anytime you are pulling a max power climb, think about how the curve grows (High collective pitch, no-autorotational flow at all, and upwards momentum.) If you have an engine failure here you have to be quick.

Density altitude is a major factor which is often overlooked. For training purposes, the good thing about the R22 POH (compared with the 300CB POH), is that it shows the 7000' DA curve. See how much it has changed.

Anyway, I said I'd be brief, so you can look the rest up yourself!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=75641&highlight=dead+mans+curve+landing

If this doesn't work, just do a PPRUNE search for Dead Mans Curve Landing

cl12pv2s