PDA

View Full Version : ?Highschool or University?

Bruno Silva
30th Nov 2004, 22:01
Hello!

What does the typical pilot have??
An highschool diploma or a college degree??

I´m doing highschool, is it realistic to think I will be a pilot with only an highschool diploma???? :}

Hope to hear from you!!:ok:

Bruno

yyzdub
1st Dec 2004, 18:18
I'd say that with more and more people seeking a career in aviation, a university degree will soon be mandatory - a lot of airlines already require a degree. Having a university degree will show your employer a lot about yourself not just that of having a piece of paper.

My advice would be to do university but tie it in with aviation. There are a lot of schools offering flight training coupled with a degree in Aviation Management or whatever. By doing this, I think you'd find yourself in a pretty good position.

Keep in mind, aviation is cyclical and should one day you get furlough'd from a carrier or while just looking for a flying job, you will need something to fall back on and by having a university degree 'may' give you some foundation.

Plus, university days are more fun than you'd expect - best years of my life!!! I think?:ugh: :\

yyzdub

Bruno Silva
1st Dec 2004, 18:45
Thanks yyzdub!!

Do you know if any degree will help or just those related to aviation?

I was thinking in management but i´m not sure!!!

Cheers!!:ok:

pulse
1st Dec 2004, 21:10
I agree with yyzdub, i'm currently at university and loving every second!!

I was given similar advice to go to University so I'm studying Air Transport Management; hopefully to provide myself with some sort of backup if i'm unsuccessful becoming a pilot. I am presently deciding whether to take a placement year in industry but not sure if it will help - i've been told it won't!!

I hope I will never have to use the backup though!!!

All the best

P

:ok:

Bruno Silva
2nd Dec 2004, 20:31
Yeah...I think you´re right!!!!

I´m thinking to start a Management degree next year!!
It´s not connected to aviation but...do you think it helps???

By doing it I will not also have a degree as I will have more time to earn money to make my licenses!!!
Because I´m planning to make it at night!!!:8

Wish to start my Licenses when I´m 24, cause I´m already 20!!!
Hope it´s not too late!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruno

go_solo
4th Dec 2004, 15:26
One thing I would suggest before you decide what subject to study at uni is get your Class One Medical. If you spend 3 or 4 years getting a degree in Airline Management or similar subject and then fail the medical, you could end up watching others do your dream job every day and that’s only if you get a job in the industry.

I currently work in Human Resources and do a considerable amount of recruitment for management roles. One thing we consider is a person’s motivation for a job, and believe it or not, aviation management has very little to do with flying and aircraft so you may find they take a dim view of someone whose main motivation is “I want to be a pilot”. Many airlines will rightly think, why should I spend time and cash training this person when he or she is likely to jack it in once they have a bit of cash for their ATPL.

Don’t get me wrong, Airline Management graduates will have covered most aspects of a general management degree and are just as capable as a person with a degree in pure management, but in today’s tough graduate market, you want to be a marketable as possible.

Also, before I get any abuse, pilots can and do make excellent managers but this is generally once they’ve got the experience together with a good academic base. At this stage they are able to provide both experience and knowledge to situations which the poor desk bound staffers don’t have.

Cheers

Go_Solo

Bruno Silva
4th Dec 2004, 16:31
Hey Solo.

when I say I will make a Management degree I mean pure Management, not the aviation one!!

That´s why I asked if it would help me in my future, to become a pilot!!

I realy don´t know what´s best.
If it is best to start flight training at 21 with only Highschool or at 24 with a degree in Management!!

Please share with me your ideas!!!

benyfly
4th Dec 2004, 18:23
hi all,
i did a degree aswell , just finished this summer and am begining atpl training this january. since im self sponsored:( i feel alot more comfortable about spending the cash knowing that i can get a decent job in case the piloting doesn't work out. my suggestion is get another qualification first. it helps ease the mind :} or whats left of it anyway after college.

all the best

beny

go_solo
4th Dec 2004, 18:53
As benyfly said, it’s good to know you have a qualification behind you and it certainly wont hurt any application you make for a flying job. Don’t worry about being 24, if you look around pprune you’ll find loads of people who made the move much later in their lives, plus uni is great fun and if you’re lucky you can also get some flying in then. I managed to get my PPL and a few hours while at uni and I doubt I would have done it if I’d been working full time.

Management is a good subject to study because much of a modern pilots role is systems management and decision making. It will also give you a good grounding in industry, which most airlines like their pilots to have.

However, a technical subject such as physics, maths or engineering can also be really helpful when you have to sit the ATPL ground school, plus they’re looked on favourably by the military and airlines.

Ultimately, its got to be up to you but don’t choose a subject because you think it will help you to be a pilot, do something that interests you. Remember that you’ve got to study it for 3 or 4 years and it’s bad enough studying something you enjoy and have an interest in. (especially if you’ve given up being a life guard in Portugal to do it :cool: )

Go_Solo

glider12000
5th Dec 2004, 00:10
hey!

i`m at Leeds University and doing aviation technology with pilot studies!!

its a degree which incorporates a PPL so is good start to your flying career!

Bruno Silva
5th Dec 2004, 14:31
Eheheh...don´t think being a Life Guard in Portugal is the same as you see in Baywatch go_Solo !!!!:}

Well about the choice of subjects, I tought in Management because I can do it in an University that is only 3Km from home!
And I don´t dislike it!!

I would choose Aeronautical Engineering if I could but I don´t think I have enough Math or Physics to do it!!!

What does Aviation Tech consist?
Is it the same as Aeronautical Engineering?

I would like to know more about it...but even if did want to do it how would I?
I´m from Portugal not England!!!

Cheers!!!:ok:

CptSilva
18th Jan 2005, 11:43
Boas Bruno!!
Eu tb sou de Portugal, em relação a um curso superior é sempre bom teres porque nunca sabes o que o futuro te reserva, sim tb é uma mais valia para concorreres a uma companhia mas não é mandatorio. Em relação a idade vais a tempo acredita, eu tenho 27 anos e se tudo correr bem vou tirar o curso este ano. Eu actualmente trabalho na aviação, tenho um Bacharelato em Turismo e na aviação tenho varios curso dados pela companhia onde estou, é essencial talvez ganhares experiencia ao nível da aviação em terra pois assim vais ter uma visão diferente das coisas.
Qualquer coisa manda vir!
Saudações avionicas:ok:

Have a nice tail strike:\