PDA

View Full Version : Going through security to reach ARRIVALS

jabird
30th Nov 2004, 16:16
Passing through ATL recently (biggest certainly doesn't mean best!), I had to clear security just for the pleasure of getting on the train to reach arrivals.

Now I understand that the train also gives access to the other concourses, but bearing in mind that (AFAIK) it was US government staff who screened me in Gatwick in addition to our own rigourous security checks, was this additional step really needed?

Is ATL the only place which does this (presumably something to do with the terminal layout). Certainly one to avoid in future.

LGWAlan
30th Nov 2004, 16:17
Salzburg Terminal 1 used to have a baggage belt after you had cleared ALL arrivals procedures!

TheOddOne
30th Nov 2004, 17:31
Jabird,
I think it's the US airports way of dealing with the new (to them) requirement to segregate all arriving and departing passengers, especially those arriving from 'overseas'.

At LGW, a very expensive programme of building construction is drawing to a close, to more effectively deal with this issue. Piers 2 and 3 now have full phyisical segregation or arriving and departing pax, hopefully enhancing their experience of the process at the same time.

I know how frustrating and confusing the US approach to this requirement can be - try Orlando with fractious children in tow!

Cheers,
The Odd One

jabird
30th Nov 2004, 17:47
There's lots of things about the US that us Brits (or Europeans) find annoying. Don't get me started on driving there (or the forced requirement to so in many places), and I know that the B man is strictly off limits in this forum. But I've been through several US airports, and have only noticed this requirement at ATL, presumably because of the terminal layout. For example, I've also been as an international arriving passenger through EWR and SJU this year - no such requirement.

So is it unique to ATL & perhaps airports which are laid out in similar ways (DEN?). Thing is, I'd have no problems flying through DEN, as the fantastic architecture would make up for any hassles, but ATL is just a big block of concrete with few redeeming features, apart from its obvious claim of being the busiest in the world.

The_Banking_Scot
30th Nov 2004, 17:52
Hi,
Also MCO ( orlando) after clearing customs, you put your bag on the conveyor belt to take it to the main terminal then up the escalator to clear security ( very quick in my experience) and then you are airside by the departure gates to get the tram to the main terminal and baggage reclaim.

Regards

TBS