PDA

View Full Version : Zooming from Cardiff to Toronto

MerchantVenturer
30th Nov 2004, 13:40
Zoom Airlines today announced details of low-cost scheduled flights direct from Cardiff to Canada.

The Cardiff service will start operating in May 2005 with flights to Toronto weekly on Mondays at prices starting from £89 one way including taxes.

Excellent news indeed for travellers in this part of the world.

Full details are on Cardiff Airport website on this link.

http://www.cardiffairportonline.com/

Shamrogue
30th Nov 2004, 14:34
Very interesting.

If Zoom, market themselves as "Low Cost" and the word gets out that it works you could see a whole pile of transatlantic routes go "low cost"............I'm sure CO, and the rest of them are only chomping at the bit. Never mind MOL and Co. We're already lo co on routes like Uk-ACE so it's only an extra, 1.5 hours onto the US Northern East Coast.

Could this be the beginning?

Shamrogue

speedbird_heavy
30th Nov 2004, 16:38
So I take it they have taken the business off Globespan and Ait Transat then...

jamesbrownontheroad
30th Nov 2004, 17:35
So I take it they have taken the business off Globespan and Ait Transat then...

Maybe, but let's not forget that frankly unbelievable 35" seat pitch in the Thomas Cook 757s that operate some of Canadian Affair's services.

Rather than heading towards the low-cost model, I reckon we'll see some of the trans-Atlantic carriers pushing the 'high-value' deal... people are more likely to pay an extra bit (<£50) for a slightly improved service.

*j*

terrier21
30th Nov 2004, 17:38
We certainly missed out on this one!!!

Would have been nice to see reintroduction of services to YYZ.

TwinAisle
30th Nov 2004, 17:47
Interesting post, JBOTR.

I would suggest that there is a considerable market out there for people who want more space than 31", and don't want to spend £2K a seat.

Have a squint at flywho.com... they are getting a lot of press and a lot of interest from travel buyers and the public, I can tell you!

TA

jamesbrownontheroad
30th Nov 2004, 22:23
FlyBlu are a good example. This kind of 'economy plus' hasn't really been developed on long haul. While BMI, Virgin and BA (etc etc etc) all have an 'economy-plus' cabin/service on certain long haul routes, these are usually under appreciated because of the better fares in old-style cattle class.

With FlyBlu doing a classy economy service at one end of the spectrum, can anyone tell us where http://www.bluefoxairlines.co.uk/ (Blue Fox) are with their Stansted -> New York 'all business' service...? That would have been very interesting, but still no sign of it becoming reality.

*j*

330-Purser
1st Dec 2004, 07:40
Maybe, but let's not forget that frankly unbelievable 35" seat pitch in the Thomas Cook 757s that operate some of Canadian Affair's services.

Candian Affair flights (TCX) actually start from less than £89 too. I think I'd rather have the 35" seat pitch on a 757 personally. Heard nothing but good stuff about their flights.

The major scheduled all have a nice premium product, but they seem to suffer a lack of marketing on it. If you call their res centre's, you won't be told about it unless you ask. Shame really.

As for flyblue, nice idea, but I think its just pure fantasy as was Blue fox. Believe it when we see it.

mmeteesside
1st Dec 2004, 16:16
I travelled from YYZ-MAN at the start of September (arrived back at MAN 01sep) with TCX/Canadian Affair, really was nice to have a nice seat pitch although it was a shame that it was overnight :rolleyes: The flight time wasn't bad either, just under 6 hours.

MarkBHX
1st Dec 2004, 19:14
What happened to Zoom at Bhx? I think they only operated one summer!

Psr777
2nd Dec 2004, 22:53
TCX are introducing more canadian routes for Summer 2005 for
www.canadian-affair.com (http://www.canadian-affair.com)

Currently a year round schedule service:

LGW - Calgary and Vancouver A330 45*/309Y (all seats have seat back videos)

Summer only schedule service:

MAN - Calgary and Vancouver A330 45*/309Y (all seats have seat back videos)

"*" indicates a premium economy cabin called "Thomas Cook Plus"

Summer only, on board B757:

BHX - Toronto
EDI - Toronto
GLA - Toronto
MAN - Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, Ottowa
LGW - Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, Ottowa, Quebec City

187 seats, all leather with 35" seat pitch.

:cool: :cool: :cool: