PDA

View Full Version : New Future For Southend Airport ?

Paracab
30th Nov 2004, 11:23
Full Story Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/4051193.stm)

Does this mean a certain increase in traffic and movements at Southend or will more have to done to attract the airlines ?

(Assuming, of course, that all the work now permitted is carried out)

Discuss

bmifox
30th Nov 2004, 11:51
I don't know if this is old news but i have just noticed that Flybe are to start flights to Jersey from Southend. They go on sale tomorrow.

middenview
1st Dec 2004, 11:22
Was that flights to Canary Island or Canvey Island?

panjandrum
1st Dec 2004, 17:26
:)

£16.40 one way for the dates I tried, first flight from 7th May at the moment.

VIKING9
1st Dec 2004, 17:56
Hardly Canary Islands from SEN's short landing strip !!

surely not
1st Dec 2004, 18:07
Well at least the faithful spotters who congregate in the Terminal every day will have something new to look at :D

Is the proposed rise of Southend Apt from the ashes something which happens every year? It's a bit like hearing the first cuckoo of summer

Red Four
3rd Dec 2004, 14:45
Some interesting details becoming apparent according to the Evening Echo tonight:

2006/2007 (http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/archive/2004/12/03/news1102073329ZM.html)

Revised Link

welkyboy
3rd Dec 2004, 15:15
The FlyBe flight is Saturdays only and has operated from Jersey for at least 3 years in the summer months, all Flybe have done is open the flight up to everybody and not just charter pax, no doubt it will carry the charter pax as well, as a lot of airlines that serve Jersey in the summer months do.
Though I think if this proves successful there will be expansion at Southend (about time too as Stansted is nearing saturation point) especially when the new terminal/station is built.
I worked at Southend in the days of Air Charter and Channel Airways in the 50/60s and it was one of the busiest airfields in the country then, hope it will be again soon

HZ123
3rd Dec 2004, 16:20
I am sure that this move will provide business for SEN. However, the quote regarding approval standards for runway length do not tell the full story. I hope to be corrected but runway length excludes fully laden 737 / A319's and would only permit Dash 8 EMB 145 plus the RJ 85. Between them I have yet to hear of an airline starting up with these marques of a/c on low cost and fixed rate fares; 'Duo' being an unfortunate example. Whatever, if it provides more alternatives and generates revenue to the area good luck !